Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada Holiday / roadtrip passport question?

Options
  • 03-07-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all, planning to visit my girlfriend and her family in Toronto in august and travel from there by road to her brother's home in Nova Scotia possibly travelling through the U.S
    Just checked my passport and the expiry is end of january 2014 so shouldn't be a problem as I'm flying home on the 31st of August.
    My question is will there be any problems with my passport being less than 6 months from expiry? Will this cause me any issues at border control passing into the U.S? And do I need to apply for any Visas etc. for either country?

All advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

ep71 wrote: »
    Hi all, planning to visit my girlfriend and her family in Toronto in august and travel from there by road to her brother's home in Nova Scotia possibly travelling through the U.S
    Just checked my passport and the expiry is end of january 2014 so shouldn't be a problem as I'm flying home on the 31st of August.
    My question is will there be any problems with my passport being less than 6 months from expiry? Will this cause me any issues at border control passing into the U.S? And do I need to apply for any Visas etc. for either country?

All advice greatly appreciated!

US Immigration are pretty picky. I think a lot of countries don't allow entry if your passport is with in 6 months of expiry. I'd check that out.

Also, before entering the US you need to register online with ESTA. It's $14.

Sidenote: Nova Scotia is beautiful - try and get up to Cape Breton.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Script

You can travel on that passport to the U.S! - Irish passport I presume - Ireland is in the '6 month club', if you're passport has validity of less than 6 months, you are still allowed to travel on it as long as you leave before the date of expiration. Which you are. And you don't need a Visa, you apply for visa waiver https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

Thanks guys,

just trying to fill out the visa waiver form there and it's asking for my flight details etc. As i'm not actually landing in the U.S (landing in toronto and driving to the border) I'm not really sure what to do. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

You don't need ESTA for land borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Script

Yeah you don't need ESTA then! You'll have to fill out a form at the border and pay like 6 dollars!

• Advertisement
Advertisement