Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moira town is it nice to live?

Options
  • 03-07-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

What's Moira like as a town, anyone know ?

Might be headed up North looking a place to rent at first, heard its a 'middle class / posh' areas to live etc ..
    Would welcome any knowledge of where's good to live ....

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Used to pass through it weekly. Apparently a butchers there a really good. Dad would stop any time passing through these days.

Suppose houses are nice there -.-, remember thinking poshish myself when going through, although does have some lesser quality ones too prob. Is a nightclub somewhere near it but i mighta been once and think it was outta the way (wouldnt walk it through country roads at that time myself) .... if its the same place thinking off. Also gotta railway halt and close to Lisburn.

Town can get jammed if ppl avoiding the motorway from the roundabout till Lurgan if accident or slow moving.

Load got their flags out like most towns in that area though which maybe a factor. Had a few friends from that area though over the years and never really a problem though.

Aint been through it in a while, prob will be at some stage like but who knows when -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

You are looking at Moira but would be working in Belfast or somewhere else?

Nice place but the town can be a bit of a bottleneck which might be a factor if going through it at busy times.

The Meat Merchant is based just outside Moira and is very good for meat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 FarmersSon

I live down the road from Moira.

It is certainly an attractive village to live in. Some nice housing estates, mostly populated with working professionals and retired folk. Good variety of shops, bars & restaurants, takeaways, services etc. Large public park as well.

Location wise, it is just off the M1 motorway, good links to the international airport (30 minutes away), Belfast 30 minutes by car. Moira train station is about a 10 / 15 minute away from the centre of the village. Train to Belfast would take 25 minutes. No sure how long the train to Dublin takes.

Only problem is the lack of by-pass, which leads to long tail backs from the motorway interchange at Moira roundabout, from 4.30 to 6.00pm on week days when all the through traffic tries to filter up the Main street.

But other than that, it would be a good place to base yourself.

I would also consider Hillsborough village. Not as many shops or services, but still considered an attractive aspirational place to live. Great bars & restaurants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

^ Moira would be a touch less expensive property wise than Hillsborough or have I that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Irish abroad

Thanks for all the info guys/gals very informative ...
    We're coming back from a busy packed SW England so life should be a bit less hectic .. It's too crowed here
    It was a guess between Hillsborough or Moira both look great, it's our first base to rent and then buy quickly after that . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

Just wondering did you ever move to Moira? I've bought a house there 6 weeks ago and just getting to grips with country life at the moment!

Advertisement