Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer not connecting to router

Options
  • 03-07-2013 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I upgraded from a dongle to the B683 wireless router and my iPod and phone work fine with it but nothing is coming up on my computer so I can't connect to the Internet on it. Does anyone know why this is?? The computer is windows xp and about 2-3 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭clearodara

Can you connect it via the lan cable? And does your computer pick up other routers? Might need a driver reinstall

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

Cam24 wrote: »
    I upgraded from a dongle to the B683 wireless router and my iPod and phone work fine with it but nothing is coming up on my computer so I can't connect to the Internet on it. Does anyone know why this is?? The computer is windows xp and about 2-3 years old.

There could be loads of reasons for this. We need a lot more info from you before we can tell you why. Firstly, are using a laptop or a desktop? (Sorry to ask such a novice question but it has to be done as we have no idea of your abilities on a computer). Most desktop PC's don't come with a wireless network card and you would have originally plugged the dongle directly into the PC so that would act as the wireless network card.

As clearodara said, try using a LAN (ethernet) cable to connect the PC directly to the router.

Ethernet-Cables.jpg

This is the first thing to try. If this doesn't work then it is most likely a problem with you network card. If this does work but you can't access the internet via wireless connection (assuming it's a laptop), then it could be driver issues (uninstall and re-install driver) or it could be hardware issues (wireless network card is broken) so you need to buy a new one.

Let us know how you get on with the LAN cable first.

Regards,
    Sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Cam24

clearodara wrote: »
    Can you connect it via the lan cable? And does your computer pick up other routers? Might need a driver reinstall
    I haven't tried a lan cable..where would I get one of those? Sorry I'm not much good with computers. No it doesn't pick up other routers.

smjpl wrote: »
    There could be loads of reasons for this. We need a lot more info from you before we can tell you why. Firstly, are using a laptop or a desktop? (Sorry to ask such a novice question but it has to be done as we have no idea of your abilities on a computer). Most desktop PC's don't come with a wireless network card and you would have originally plugged the dongle directly into the PC so that would act as the wireless network card.

As clearodara said, try using a LAN (ethernet) cable to connect the PC directly to the router.

Ethernet-Cables.jpg

This is the first thing to try. If this doesn't work then it is most likely a problem with you network card. If this does work but you can't access the internet via wireless connection (assuming it's a laptop), then it could be driver issues (uninstall and re-install driver) or it could be hardware issues (wireless network card is broken) so you need to buy a new one.

Let us know how you get on with the LAN cable first.

Regards,
    Sun
    It's a desktop. I'm not sure if it has a wireless network card. How would I find that out?
    Ok I'll try the LAN cable.
    Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

Cam24 wrote: »
    It's a desktop. I'm not sure if it has a wireless network card. How would I find that out?
    Ok I'll try the LAN cable.
    Thanks for your help!

I highly doubt it has a wireless network card in that case. Chances are it would only be there if you specifically asked for one when you originally bought the PC. To be honest you would get a better connection if you used an ethernet cable plugged directly into the modem but if that is too awkward you can still pick up a wireless network adapter for fairly cheap.

If it was me, I would get one from adverts.ie as you will pick one up for around €10, otherwise you will probably expect to pay between €20 - €30 for one from PC World or somewhere like that. You could go Amazon either but you will probably have to wait a bit longer and shipping could cost you a bit as well. I find Adverts the best for bits like that but I drive so it isn't an issue for me.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/computers/124/q_wireless+network/

Any of the usb ones will be fine. Here is a in example from on Adverts shop based in Dublin.

http://www.adverts.ie/routers-and-modems/new-mini-usb-wifi-wireless-adapter-150m-150mbps-antenna-network-card-lan-135/1731433

• Advertisement

smjpl wrote: »
    I highly doubt it has a wireless network card in that case. Chances are it would only be there if you specifically asked for one when you originally bought the PC. To be honest you would get a better connection if you used an ethernet cable plugged directly into the modem but if that is too awkward you can still pick up a wireless network adapter for fairly cheap.

If it was me, I would get one from adverts.ie as you will pick one up for around €10, otherwise you will probably expect to pay between €20 - €30 for one from PC World or somewhere like that. You could go Amazon either but you will probably have to wait a bit longer and shipping could cost you a bit as well. I find Adverts the best for bits like that but I drive so it isn't an issue for me.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/computers/124/q_wireless+network/

Any of the usb ones will be fine. Here is a in example from on Adverts shop based in Dublin.

http://www.adverts.ie/routers-and-modems/new-mini-usb-wifi-wireless-adapter-150m-150mbps-antenna-network-card-lan-135/1731433
    Ok great! Thanks! Hopefully it will work now!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Seán MacSuibhne

Have you tried the following in the run window?

ipconfig/renew

Seán

Advertisement