Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... I'm curious... Who DID actually switch banks?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

vicwatson wrote: »
    Switched from BOI to PTSB after 45 years as a customer of BOI, enough is more than enough

Jeepers! Big change!

I wonder will BOI make any efforts to try get you back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

quaalude wrote: »
    I left AIB last year, (20 years a customer) for Ulster Bank.
    I upgraded my Ulster Bank account to a uFirst account to take advantage of the free iPhone insurance it offers, so I pay a tenner a month for my account.

Did the same myself .... bar the hassle of switching DDs and the rude Ulster Bank call centre staff - it was worth it!
    120 a year ! Fair play

- Was paying €13 a month iphone insurance.
    - Free travel insurance
    - And have been refunded €400 ticketmaster charges (you get 25% back into your account automatically)
    jonnny68 wrote: »
    Ulster Bank customer myself and just rang them to query the fees and the customer service representative i spoke to mentioned this uFirst, actually done a very good job of selling it to me as I was and still might switch to PTSB but with all these benefits for a tenner a month I'm considering staying especially the mobile insurance for my HTC One but I'm wondering what are the catches as there have to be some before I make a final decision?

There are no catches that I can see - I checked the T+Cs of the mobile insurance and and it looks fine. The insurance is underwritten by Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Changed yesterday from BOI to Perm TSB. very straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

does anyone know why Credit Union don't issue debit cards & do online banking? if they did, i'd switch everything to the credit union...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

smemon wrote: »
    does anyone know why Credit Union don't issue debit cards & do online banking? if they did, i'd switch everything to the credit union...

They probably don't have the capital to undertake such a scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just completed the switch to PTSB from Bank of Ireland today. Opened my first Bank of Ireland account 43 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FaganJr

spurious wrote: »
    Just completed the switch to PTSB from Bank of Ireland today. Opened my first Bank of Ireland account 43 years ago.

How long did it take from Sending off the forms to getting an active account??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

FaganJr wrote: »

I had an account available to me immediately, you just pick a date in the future to allow for your first wage to hit the new account and then no trouble with any debits. Its just timing.
    My visa debit arrived within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

Closing my BOI account next week after 17 years, opened a Money manager account with EBS instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

realgirl wrote: »
    Closing my BOI account next week after 17 years, opened a Money manager account with EBS instead.

- Did you just call in to office or get form's posted out? Be interested in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Did you just call in to office or get form's posted out? Be interested in the process.

I called into an EBS branch where I already have an account so it was very easy to open a new one. I didn't "switch" officially so not sure what the process is for that. I had dwindled the use of my BOI account down over the past year so had no DDs, SOs etc to switch over. Sorry that info probably isn't much help to you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

FaganJr wrote: »

I did the switch in the branch and had an active account within minutes that I then used online banking to switch some money into.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I've heard so much about how the banks mistreated customers and so on on this forum that I have to ask?

Do you seriously believe that PTSB will not introduce fees in the near future? Pretty much every bank in Europe charges for it's services unless you are willing to have around 5K on average on deposit with them, so I don't see how PTSB can be expected to continue to give away it's services over the long run...

I fully expect to hear one of these days that due the high costs blah blah, PTSB is going to have to charge fees as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I've heard so much about how the banks mistreated customers and so on on this forum that I have to ask?

Do you seriously believe that PTSB will not introduce fees in the near future? Pretty much every bank in Europe charges for it's services unless you are willing to have around 5K on average on deposit with them, so I don't see how PTSB can be expected to continue to give away it's services over the long run...

I fully expect to hear one of these days that due the high costs blah blah, PTSB is going to have to charge fees as well...

Maybe they will but I would be certain that it will less than there other *****!

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Maybe they will but I would be certain that it will less than there other *****!

How so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I'm all set to move again when PTSB raise their fees.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

But hey, you stay where you are and tell us how stupid we all are, huh?

Godwin?

rovoagho wrote: »
    I'm all set to move again when PTSB raise their fees.

And you'll be moving to where then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The cheapest option. If every customer moved to the cheapest then no bank would charge transaction fees.

Anyway, SEPA is coming properly from February. A current account in any SEPA eurozone country will then be able to service direct debits and card payments etc. In the entire zone.

It's only a matter of time before continental online only banks like DKB.de (my main bank) start to look to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I don't know who you bank with in Europe but you might consider switching.

My bank does not charge me anything, in fact they even refund me ATM charges imposed by local banks outside euro zone. I got good quality online banking, a vpay card, a Visa charge card and a MasterCard credit card all for the silly price of 0€. And the fact that I even get ATM fees back when using my visa card makes it even sweeter. And there is no minimum balance required or minimum transactions, 0€ it is for years and I don't think any will come.

Once SEPA comes in February I will make my European bank my main account because the only reason for me to still have PTSB account is direct debits and once Irish companies can debit European accounts that's it.

Irish banks (and other companies) count on a simply fact, Irish people are just not willing to change who they use for services/utilities. When Halifax came and introduced their superior account (free banking plus visa debit) not enough people changed. When private health insurance came that was way cheaper than VHI people did not change, when cheaper gas providers came people still stayed at Board Gas. It is always only a very limited amount of people that are willing to change who they use even if that means that they have to pay hundreds of € for staying at their current providers.

If my European bank introduced fees I would change within seconds because it's easy and I don't like paying for things that are free. But than again, I changed my gas provider to the cheapest option, I changed my electricity provider to the cheapest provide and my broadband is also value for money.

Once SEPA comes in February I will make my European bank my main account because the only reason for me to still have PTSB account is direct debits and once Irish companies can debit European accounts that's it.
    Me too. I've been steadily closing accounts in Ireland as fees have been introduced and now I just have one Irish account left that I use to take rent payments and service a mortgage. From February that'll be gone too.

My bank here also refunds ATM charges from private ATMs (common in the states) and withdrawing money at any "standard" ATM is free (wordlwide!!). No transaction charges and they pay me (currently) 0.2% on account balances and 1.05% on Visa card positive balances (and they provide fraud protection for a Visa card in credit).

Because they pay me a bit of interest, I am not compelled to move every penny to my savings accounts, whereas my remaining Irish account always has the bare minimum in it on principle.

• Advertisement

"Pretty much every bank in Europe charges for it's services unless you are willing to have around 5K on average on deposit with them"

- Total nonsense.

Just do abit of research on u.k. banks for example.

You could move to EBS

http://www.ebs.ie/daily-banking/ebs-moneymanager-account-a-debit-card.html

Delta2113 wrote: »
    "Pretty much every bank in Europe charges for it's services unless you are willing to have around 5K on average on deposit with them"

- Total nonsense.

Just do abit of research on u.k. banks for example.

Yes and look at the shape of there banks....

If McDonalds started giving away free Big Macs or the local pup started to give away free pints & shorts indefinitely we'd expect the business to fail, so why should a bank that does the same expect to survive?

They're giving away their services, the credit card business is probably over extended, the investment business is shot to hell and they all have issues with their mortgage business... Where exactly are they going to earn the revenue to stay afloat?

To my mind this is the same kind of thinking that gave us the loss making trackers, 100% mortgages and all the other Celtic Tiger era gimmicks we're now paying the price for...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

If McDonalds started giving away free Big Macs or the local pup started to give away free pints & shorts indefinitely we'd expect the business to fail, so why should a bank that does the same expect to survive?

Banks can make money from you by offering free day-to-day banking services. For example ...

(1) Banks typically pay 0% interest on your current account but lend the money out at 4% - 15%. They have free use of your funds.

(2) Non EUR transactions attract a multitude of FX fees. Banks make money when you use your card outside the Eurozone.

(3) You are far more likely to purchase extra services with the bank that you have your current account with than with a bank that you do not have a relationship with. Mortgage sales go up. Loan sales go up. Insurance sales go up. Savings account sales go up.

(4) Banks make huge money from retailers who pay for the fact that you used your card in store. Retailers pay huge card fee charges. You indirectly pay this through higher retail prices.

Banks make money from lending your money to others at higher rates of interest than they pay you. That's "traditional" banking anyway.
    They're giving away their services, the credit card business is probably over extended, the investment business is shot to hell and they all have issues with their mortgage business... Where exactly are they going to earn the revenue to stay afloat?
    Who says rotten Irish banks NEED to stay afloat? I won't shed a tear if AIB especially goes down the tubes where they should have gone several times but for taxpayer bailouts.
    With the full introduction SEPA the whole "systemically important" BS no longer applies either. A company will be just as able to pay its employees through a continental bank as through an Irish one from February (at the latest).
    To my mind this is the same kind of thinking that gave us the loss making trackers, 100% mortgages and all the other Celtic Tiger era gimmicks we're now paying the price for...
    German banks still offer trackers. The difference is that German banks never offered them at such low margins or to track the main refinancing rate of the ECB, rather EURIBOR. German banks even offer 100% mortgages to CERTAIN professions. It's all about exercising restraint.

But there are at least 3 online only current account products here that are free of charges without any conditions and many high street banks offer either the same or free banking with easy to attain minimum lodgements.

The Irish banks mostly don't deserve to survive. They are simply not very well run!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I wondered to myself if Jim2007 was a banker in disguise until they asked how the banks would make money without fees, thereby demonstrating their complete ignorance - and I mean that in the literal sense of the word - of the basics of banking. But then it occurred to me -- do /any/ Irish bankers actually have a good-goddamned clue what they're doing? I mean don't get me wrong, they're experts in the field of ripping people - and entire countries - off, but actual banking? I don't think so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

rovoagho wrote: »
    I wondered to myself if Jim2007 was a banker in disguise until they asked how the banks would make money without fees, thereby demonstrating their complete ignorance - and I mean that in the literal sense of the word - of the basics of banking. But then it occurred to me -- do /any/ Irish bankers actually have a good-goddamned clue what they're doing? I mean don't get me wrong, they're experts in the field of ripping people - and entire countries - off, but actual banking? I don't think so.

Hate to break it to you but the vast majority of retail bank staff had nothing to do with the property crash.

People often forget there were Joe Soap retail investors demanding big profits so that they received their fat dividend cheques, the only way BOI/AIB/Permo could do this was to begin lending money like it was confetti.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you're breaking it to me. Way to condescend.

Retail bank staff aren't bankers any more than checkout assistants are shopkeepers. The banks got rid of all the bankers in the eighties and nineties. They're now assistants, receptionists, and most annoyingly, Girls That Wander Around The Lobby Annoying The Vast Queues When They Should Be Behind A Counter Actually Serving People. Not that I blame them for that, it's just what they're told to do by the "bankers".

Jesus, most branches don't even have proper managers these days because the "bankers" were so incredibly greedy and shortsighted they changed their titles so they could pay them less. At one point BOI had - could still have, I left them years ago - roving guys that managed more than one branch, and they wouldn't call them managers either.

I actually got a shock the other day when I got a letter from my new bank, PTSB, signed by a branch manager. I thought they were extinct.

Advertisement