Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time bike

• 03-07-2013 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

My first time getting a bike I'm doing the IBT soon and skills test. I'm gettin the same price quote on a 600 as I'm getting on a 900 are 1000. So my question is wgat will I get. Crb 600 are a fire blade, gsxr 1000 , ninja 9 , r6 , r1
    I've see lovely bikes from a grand up to 2500. I love the 98 blades the 01/02 gsxr 1000
    I'm 30 now in a month from Dublin and my quotes are 1500 on a 600 are a 1000 so what should I do after my IBT and skills test.
    Cheers Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Just my opinion (for what it's worth) but regardless of how reasonable the insurance quotes may be, I wouldn't be jumping onto something like a Blade or ZX9 or GSXR1000 for a first bike, and certainly not an R1!! I'm 8 years on bikes and I still wouldn't sit on an R1.

Learn to walk before you can run....get a 600 if you must and build up to the bigger bikes in time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

^^^ wot he says^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

My first time getting a bike I'm doing the IBT soon and skills test. I'm gettin the same price quote on a 600 as I'm getting on a 900 are 1000. So my question is wgat will I get. Crb 600 are a fire blade, gsxr 1000 , ninja 9 , r6 , r1
    I've see lovely bikes from a grand up to 2500. I love the 98 blades the 01/02 gsxr 1000
    I'm 30 now in a month from Dublin and my quotes are 1500 on a 600 are a 1000 so what should I do after my IBT and skills test.
    Cheers Eddie

dont even think about blades, R1 or even gixer as first bike. not trying to be smart but i am 30 and driving one (fireblade). with 11y of experience.but i still have respect. you just cant ride them easy. 600cc will have more then enough power and grunt for you.

as always --> fazer 600, bandit 600, 636 kawa, or any honda 600, F1, F2, etc. --> from sportsbikes will be my recommendation--> r6 is to quick for beginner.

but its up to you. i am only sugesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Laydbaklube

Thanks for the info. I take it on. So the R6 a no go either ? Bike shop told me today they stick a restricter in blade to bring it down till use to it a few months are up to a yr. I'm not a hot head are are boy racer I've been on the road from 17 and had some nice cars but I've respect for them. So if I was to get a 600 wats on offer are wats a good bike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

So if I was to get a 600 wats on offer are wats a good bike ?

As already suggested, CBR600, ZX6, ZX636, FZ6...there's a few to choose from. But no, not the R6. It's a very "track focused" bike, bit of an animal and can bite if not respected. Great bikes though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Thanks for the info. I take it on. So the R6 a no go either ? Bike shop told me today they stick a restricter in blade to bring it down till use to it a few months are up to a yr. I'm not a hot head are are boy racer I've been on the road from 17 and had some nice cars but I've respect for them. So if I was to get a 600 wats on offer are wats a good bike ?
    Fair play for taking the info on board. Most people when they hear this just go ahead and ignore it! Not a good idea!

If you're looking for something a bit sporty with a bit of power that won't kill you, you won't go wrong with a Fazer 600.

What bike shop was trying to sell you a blade knowing it was your first bike?

Edit: I should mention the SV650 too. You can't have a first time biker thread without an sv650! Worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Bike shop told me today they stick a restricter in blade to bring it down till use to it a few months are up to a yr.

Having a restricted blade is also a terrible idea really. The difference in power from being restricted to unrestricted will be massive. It will barely go when it's restricted and then when you decide to unrestrict it will bite your head off.

An unrestricted 600 will still out accelerate pretty much any car on the road, they are not slow things. A 600 will take a few years to get the most out of it and then move on to the blade if you feel the need then.

restricted Blade? its like lock racing horse in stables ;)

honda superfour CB400 - the best choice i believe. - very economic and cheap, after you learn on her you can go blade, R1, or anything you wanna and they hold the price well. i mean around 1000€ and cheap to insure. + quick, i had one unmodified and she went to 180 km/h anyday. (thats her CDI limit form factory- top speed)
    fazer - 600
    bandit - 600
    kawa 636
    honda f1 - f2 etc 600
    suzuki sv 650

What's the views on this it's a 2000

this is 5 times better http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/other-honda/1993-honda-for-sale/3340077

and about the honda --> repainted - so probably down or after damage. look closer and the pasenger stand is missing on one side. so 99% she was down. i would not go even near by. the model is correct but the bike is dodgy. No offence to seller tho.

• Advertisement

Looks sweet and good price was looking at that style and love the 99 250 hornet so many to pick from. Is there something on in skirries this week end I'm in Balbriggan might head down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Im 35 doing direct route IBT...

recently bought a 650 bandit, such a sweet bike to learn on and deffo not short of power when needed!!

Just my 2 cents!

Looks sweet and good price was looking at that style and love the 99 250 hornet so many to pick from. Is there something on in skirries this week end I'm in Balbriggan might head down.
    i am in balbriggan ;) haha

yeh there is tomorrow a classic run from 6pm in the mills car park - i am atending and then road races firday & saturday.

Have u got quotes yet. And wat price IBT for u and who with if u don't mind me asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I had a CBF500 as my first bike, not exactly a sexy/powerful beast but I learned the ropes on her for a year after passing my test; I did the test on an ER5 school bike. The CBF is bomb proof and very forgiving to a learner, I even had lots of fun on it as it was my first big bike.

I now have a K4 SV650 which I love to bits and has more power than I ever need on the road. There's loads you can to to them too; thus, it's a popular track bike. I can't recommend it highly enough if you're looking for something that looks the part and has some grunt to back it up as a first bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Op you could add a kawasaki z750 onto your list also..nice in orange ,I have one ...first big bike.

Advertisement