Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College Football Penn St/UCF Game confirmed 2014 in Croker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thanks Jack!

Can't wait for our trip...we arrive a week from tomorrow!

I hope you enjoy it man. I'm really looking forward to the game. How many UCF fans are making the trip over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Looking at the seating chart on Ticketmaster, it looks like the Upper Canal end will be shut too (unless every seat there is sold out which I doubt). Plenty of seats available in the Lower Canal as well but the Hogan/Cusack looks like it will be pretty full, presuming the teams fill their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 KnightLight

Paully D wrote: »
    I hope you enjoy it man. I'm really looking forward to the game. How many UCF fans are making the trip over?

I think we might bring 6,000-7,000 or so...as some people spent their Ireland Trip $$$ on our somewhat "unexpected" road trip to Phoenix, AZ for the BCS Fiesta Bowl last New Year's Day.

Also, UCF is a very "young" Univ (first classes were held in 1968) and student population didn't really explode till the mid/late 1990's...so UCF has one of the youngest average age alumni in the USA (almost 10,000 graduate each and every year now), let alone a young football program (didn't start Div I-A Football till 1996 and didn't have an on-campus stadium till 2007).

Penn State has hundreds of thousands of alumni, many who are well into their retired years with plenty of cash to burn...plus, their 4 year probation bowl ban...this trip was set up for most of their alumni/boosters since they won't be able to go to any bowl game over that time.

Still, many UCF Fans I know will be spending 7-10 days in Ireland (few clowns are spending more time in England before heading over to the game), so no doubt this trip will have lasting memories for so many Knight Fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I think we might bring 6,000-7,000 or so...as some people spent their Ireland Trip $$$ on our somewhat "unexpected" road trip to Phoenix, AZ for the BCS Fiesta Bowl last New Year's Day.

Also, UCF is a very "young" Univ (first classes were held in 1968) and student population didn't really explode till the mid/late 1990's...so UCF has one of the youngest average age alumni in the USA (almost 10,000 graduate each and every year now), let alone a young football program (didn't start Div I-A Football till 1996 and didn't have an on-campus stadium till 2007).

Penn State has hundreds of thousands of alumni, many who are well into their retired years with plenty of cash to burn...plus, their 4 year probation bowl ban...this trip was set up for most of their alumni/boosters since they won't be able to go to any bowl game over that time.

Still, many UCF Fans I know will be spending 7-10 days in Ireland (few clowns are spending more time in England before heading over to the game), so no doubt this trip will have lasting memories for so many Knight Fans.

Fantastic to hear you are coming over. Can you maybe give us a quick run down on the players we should be watching, esp those draft eligible in 2015?, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Will there be merchandise on sale around the game that wont cost an absolute fortune?

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Fantastic to hear you are coming over. Can you maybe give us a quick run down on the players we should be watching, esp those draft eligible in 2015?, thanks in advance.

UCF has one of the best WR cores in the country...challenge will be, which of the new QB's can get them the ball?

WR's with NFL Potential are:

Senior WR #6 Rannell Hall, who wasn't a highly touted WR in HS but has blossomed at UCF.
    (Search Youtube for: "Rannell Hall Highlights The Underdog" for a video made by a fan of some of his highlights. Sorry I can't post links yet, I'm a newbie)

Junior WR #11 Breshad Perriman, son of former Univ of Miami/NFL WR Brett Perriman, who has size and seems to make the miraculous catches when needed. He has good size and while because of the depth at WR and with a young/inexperience QB, he may not put up big numbers, there still is a good chance he might leave for the NFL one year early.

Soph RB #28 William Stanback, who almost every school passed over a year ago, turned out to be a very good RB as a true Freshman last year...and it will be interesting to see how he handles being the #1 RB this year.

UCF has some very good players on defense, including:

Soph #12 Jacoby Glenn, who became a star in his first season and quickly became one of the best cover guys for UCF's secondary.

#41 Middle LB Terrance Plummer, who plays a smart game and seems to be in the right position to make a big play when necessary.

I'll post more info later tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere until today...

http://www.crokepark.ie/crokeparkclassic/about/university-college-dublin-will-host-the-global-ire.aspx

2 High School teams playing the night before in UCD. I went to the same (smaller college) game(s) the night before the Notre Dame game, they were on in Donnybrook. Was great to get so so close to the action.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

cheers leslie, will definitely drop in to see that

KnightLight has asked me to post up a couple of UCF videos so people can know a bit more about UCF. The text is his

"Thought it would be cool to post these tv commercials about UCF so others can learn a little bit more about this very young school.

Here's a few TV Commercials for UCF which normally play during ESPN Telecast of games (each team gets a 30-60 free spot)

One from about 6-7 years ago:

One from 4-5 years ago

Here's one made by a student with his own drone last year that made it to air:

Thanks for your review of the players to watch out for and videos KnightLight, and for posting them Jack.

I love the drone advert.

• Advertisement

I love the drone advert.

I don't know how they decide to film on the one day the resort pool at UCF wasn't full with babes. (Place is usually packed on any warm day).

KnightLight has asked me to post up a couple of UCF videos so people can know a bit more about UCF. The text is his

"Thought it would be cool to post these tv commercials about UCF so others can learn a little bit more about this very young school.

Here's a few TV Commercials for UCF which normally play during ESPN Telecast of games (each team gets a 30-60 free spot)

One from about 6-7 years ago:

One from 4-5 years ago

Here's one made by a student with his own drone last year that made it to air:

Thanks for posting Jack!

If anyone has questions about UCF (Football, The University, Orlando/Disney), just fire away here and I'll try to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Have people received their tickets posted from ticketmaster yet? I selected tickets to be posted and they still haven't arrived. I know they normally say they will be received up to 7 days before the event but I've never been left this close to the day before (especially when I bought them a year ago!)

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Have people received their tickets posted from ticketmaster yet? I selected tickets to be posted and they still haven't arrived. I know they normally say they will be received up to 7 days before the event but I've never been left this close to the day before (especially when I bought them a year ago!)

I got mine months ago. I'd give them a ring if I was you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Yeah i have mine months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I got mine a while back like 2-3 months ago. Maybe you should contact ticketmaster and see what the story is

Carroller wrote: »
    Will there be merchandise on sale around the game that wont cost an absolute fortune?

I'd imagine they'll have loads of these

http://www.crokepark.ie/Shop-Home/GAA-Museum-Souvenirs/Croke-Park-Classic-T-Shirts

Bit too 'Oirish' for my liking. They didn't at the ND v Navy game but I'd love it if they actually had t-shirts for the actual colleges for sale on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

I'd imagine they'll have loads of these

http://www.crokepark.ie/Shop-Home/GAA-Museum-Souvenirs/Croke-Park-Classic-T-Shirts

Bit too 'Oirish' for my liking. They didn't at the ND v Navy game but I'd love it if they actually had t-shirts for the actual colleges for sale on the day.

Yeah I'm hoping for some actual college gear. Will have to wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Carroller wrote: »
    Yeah I'm hoping for some actual college gear. Will have to wait and see

Yeah no college gear available last time only these types shirts above

• Advertisement

Has anyone who purchased Hill 16 tickets on Ticketmaster not received contact from them RE: moving to the seated areas?

I know a few of the lads who purchased from Tickets.ie had posted about it the other day but I've heard nothing from Ticketmaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    Yeah no college gear available last time only these types shirts above

ND couldn't get it shipped over, cant remember the exact reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Has anyone who purchased Hill 16 tickets on Ticketmaster not received contact from them RE: moving to the seated areas?

I know a few of the lads who purchased from Tickets.ie had posted about it the other day but I've heard nothing from Ticketmaster.

I haven't received anything. I purchased in section HILLB1, not sure if that makes a difference.

Just had contact from Ticketmaster RE: Hill 16 tickets.
    Thank you for booking your tickets to The Croke Park Classic on 30th August 2014 with us. Please read this email carefully as it contains important information regarding the event.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the organisers of the above event have decided to close off Hill 16 and upgrade all customers who had purchased in this area to covered seats in the upper Hogan Stand.

The section in the Upper Hogan Stand you have been assigned will be an unreserved seating area and customers will be seated on a first come first served basis.

If it is a case you had multiple bookings in Hill 16, once your whole party arrive together you will all be seated together.

Your new set of tickets will be dispatched to the address on your purchase and should be with you by Thursday of next week 28th August.

If it is a case you have any queries or issues please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Services Department on the below numbers:

R.O.I: 0818 903 001 and select option 5

N.I/U.K: 0333 321 996 and select option 5

Apologies for any inconvenience caused

Kind Regards

Unreserved seating in the Upper Hogan. I've never sat there. Is it an "upgrade" or will we need binoculars? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Just had contact from Ticketmaster RE: Hill 16 tickets.

Unreserved seating in the Upper Hogan. I've never sat there. Is it an "upgrade" or will we need binoculars? :pac:
    It's better than the hill. You can't see anything in the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

What section of the Upper Hogan, out of interest? I got 334 Hogan Lower, if you are anywhere near the 50 yard line (and the crowd up in that area is obviously so small, you'll probably be able to pick your seats), you'll probably have a better view than people with [more expensive] some Hogan Lower seats.

There'll probably be empty seats in 731 and 732, I'd be happy enough if I were you. For the sport, any side view is probably better than any end view really

Dublin_Croke_Park.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I know from going to GAA matches that they can be very sneaky about what counts as the hogan stand 723 and 322 are hogan tickets or used to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

salmocab wrote: »
    I know from going to GAA matches that they can be very sneaky about what counts as the hogan stand 723 and 322 are hogan tickets or used to be
    324 was davin last weekend anyway for the hurling.

Also, most of 731/732 is Press box

Cheers for the replies lads.

No idea what section of the Hogan except it's "upper." Like you've said, any side view is probably better anyway, I was just a bit worried I'd be looking at dots from that high up but the views appear to be quite good from what I've seen on the net.

For the sake of €20 I can't really complain in any case and at least I'll be covered if it's raining too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Dang, were all the PSU fans? Pennsylvania is loaded with Irish descendants. If we’re not Norte Dame Fighting Irish fans here in PA then we’re PSU Nittany Lions fans. Ya’ll need to wear white for a PSU “White Out!” My kid was just accepted to Penn State on an academic scholarship. Always wanted a Penn Stater in the family… and I’ll finally get some good tickets to the games rather then those in the nose bleed section at Happy Valley. GO PENN STATE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

• Advertisement

gufc21 wrote: »

That was a ****ing nightmare back in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

I know ya... poor ticketmaster getting hammered too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

a friend of mine was coming back from a wedding in Thailand, the whole wedding party ended up in a 6* resort in Dubai for 6 days because of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

a friend of mine was coming back from a wedding in Thailand, the whole wedding party ended up in a 6* resort in Dubai for 6 days because of it

How did they cope?

How did they cope?

it was tough :eek: at one point he was in the building that has the driving range on the 50th floor (though that may be Bangkok im not 100% sure)

They got an allowance of i think $50 a day which covered their meals and stuff, any boozing or shopping trips they had to pay for.

The only major issue was actually leaving the resort, a few times buses pulled up because the planes were going to leave due to a gap only for them to be told the gap didnt appear, that happened 3/4 times i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Went through the airport today. This is some of the merchandise available. There's the same design on a black base material also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Cheers for the replies lads.

No idea what section of the Hogan except it's "upper." Like you've said, any side view is probably better anyway, I was just a bit worried I'd be looking at dots from that high up but the views appear to be quite good from what I've seen on the net.

For the sake of €20 I can't really complain in any case and at least I'll be covered if it's raining too!

Just noticed the word "unreserved" in your previous post, pick your seats situation so. Decent view but possibly lacking in atmosphere I suppose if they are confident enough to go unreserved.

New Penn State Coach James Franklin insults both UCF and the Croke Park Classic...as he is whining about playing in this amazing event.

On Coach Franklin's radio show last night, here's what he had to say about being honored to play in the Croke Park Classic:

On the Ireland trip:

"Just how I would've drawn it up. First game as the head coach at Penn State to fly to a diff country, to get through customs and to take on a volcano. All these things are how you would want it. I think it's going to be great for the fans. Some have asked, 'Coach, isn't this a great cultural experience for the players?' It's really not. It's a business trip. We've got to get there, get adjusted as fast as we possibly can. Get hydrated, get food and get the sleep schedule down, play a game and get back. UCF has a bye the following week, so they're going to stay a couple nights and enjoy themselves. Our job is to make sure our guys graduate with a great degree so they can get back and see the countryside on their own."

What a whiner. UCF flies home the following morning while Penn State flies home right after the game.

Next week, Penn State gets to host a pathetic easy team called Akron, which is like playing a high school team while UCF's next game is back on the road at Missouri, who won the SEC East last year and played Auburn in the SEC Championship Game.

Also, under UCF Coach O'Leary's lead, UCF has one of the top graduation rates for any Public Univ Football Team...and it was an insult that UCF isn't preparing their own student athletes to "make sure our guys graduate with a great degree so they can get back and see the countryside on their own."

I'm surprised that Franklin didn't mention that PSU's flight is 2 hours shorter than UCF's longer flight...he probably would complain that somehow UCF would have some insane advantage of spending more time at 35,000 feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

New Penn State Coach James Franklin insults both UCF and the Croke Park Classic...as he is whining about playing in this amazing event.

"Just how I would've drawn it up. First game as the head coach at Penn State to fly to a diff country, to get through customs and to take on a volcano. All these things are how you would want it. I think it's going to be great for the fans. Some have asked, 'Coach, isn't this a great cultural experience for the players?' It's really not. It's a business trip. We've got to get there, get adjusted as fast as we possibly can. Get hydrated, get food and get the sleep schedule down, play a game and get back. UCF has a bye the following week, so they're going to stay a couple nights and enjoy themselves. Our job is to make sure our guys graduate with a great degree so they can get back and see the countryside on their own."

What a whiner. UCF flies home the following morning while Penn State flies home right after the game.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. Did you listen to it or just read it? Because I heard it and he is only making light of the whole Volcano issue (that wont even be a problem) and joking about the fact that it's a tricky journey to make for his first game in charge of Penn State. He's also correct in saying they're not treating this as a vacation or anything, and that at the end of the day this is still a competitive game and not just some exhibition. There's no venom or spite to anything he said, it's all light hearted.
    Next week, Penn State gets to host a pathetic easy team called Akron, which is like playing a high school team while UCF's next game is back on the road at Missouri.

Yeah, don't you just hate when big teams schedule non-conference minnows as their home opener? UCF have schedule Akron as their home opener the last 2 years, so if you've no problem with your team doing it, there should be no problem with Penn State doing it. ;)

And to be fair to Akron, they ran both Michigan and Northern Illinois close last year and both were ranked at the time. And while UCF do travel to Missouri, they have the added comfort of 14 days prep compared to Penn State.

• Advertisement

i can understand his gripe with coming over here for his first game but saying things like there "taking on a volcano" makes it very hard to take him seriously thank god I'm in the ucf supporting hogan stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

So some rough back of napkin calculations:

Croke Park capacity without the Hill: 70,000 ish
    Take away the Davin stand upper: left with 60,000 or so?

Currently on ticketmaster theres just over 10,000 tickets still on sale. Would ticket sales then be about the 50k mark? To be fair thats quite impressive for a college football game in Dublin. Its a bit of a shame its not in Lansdowne Road though, would have been perfectly placed to sell out. Or that tickets for Croke Park weren't a bit cheaper.

I can't wait to hear what he says when some 'obsessed with what foreigners think of us' journalist asks him what his impressions of Ireland at his first press conference over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Blut2 wrote: »

Currently on ticketmaster theres just over 10,000 tickets still on sale. Would ticket sales then be about the 50k mark? To be fair thats quite impressive for a college football game in Dublin. Its a bit of a shame its not in Lansdowne Road though, would have been perfectly placed to sell out. Or that tickets for Croke Park weren't a bit cheaper.

Probably gonna be a massive giveaway in the couple of days beforehand through radio.

Blut2 wrote: »

A month ago or so, tix sales were at/around 45,000...and they expected more local tix sales closer to the date of game...so 50,000 or so sounds about right.

Hopefully weather on game day (way too earlier forecast is 50% chance of rain) for some good walk-up sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

So on the game itself. Are Penn strong favourites. Should I expect a closer game than Notre Dame v Navy?

So on the game itself. Are Penn strong favourites. Should I expect a closer game than Notre Dame v Navy?

I've no idea to be honest. Last year's match between the two of them was very close and a high scoring game so we if get something like that I'd be delighted. No Bortles for UCF this year which is a big loss for them I'd say but I'm sure both sides have lost starters this year.

Right now in Vegas, casinos seem split...as some have this game as a pick'em, while others have UCF a -1 pt favorite as of now.

Since Labor Day Weekend is a big Vegas Weekend..and Penn State has a lot more nationwide fans, wouldn't be surprised to see Penn State a -1 or -2 pt favorite at kickoff.

As a UCF Fan, I wouldn't touch almost any line, because UCF is facing the unknown (redshirt Freshman QB who hasn't played a game), as you never know who they will do until the face "live bullets" in a real game.

For UCF to win, they will have to be able to run the ball, control the clock, execute a short passing game to their speedy receivers to get YAC (Yards After Catch) and keep UCF's experienced D well rested.

If UCF has too many 3 and outs (can't get a first down and forced to punt), UCF's D could tire in the 2nd half...and they may not be able to save the day.

Right now in Vegas, casinos seem split...as some have this game as a pick'em, while others have UCF a -1 pt favorite as of now.

Since Labor Day Weekend is a big Vegas Weekend..and Penn State has a lot more nationwide fans, wouldn't be surprised to see Penn State a -1 or -2 pt favorite at kickoff.

Do you know how many starters each side is bringing back this year?

• Advertisement

Our job is to make sure our guys graduate with a great degree so they can get back and see the countryside on their own."

As if Franklin or any college coach has any sort of worry or care about that. That line is the biggest load of rubbish I've heard in a while. :pac:

Advertisement