Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College Football Penn St/UCF Game confirmed 2014 in Croker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Newbie question , what time will the game start at?

What time should one arrive at to get the best out of it all.

What time will it end at approx ?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Shelflife wrote: »

Cheers

Kick off's 1:30. I'm a fan so like to watch the warm ups etc. so I'll probably get there about 12:30. I'm sure there'll be some sort of cringeworthy presentation or something before the game too.

Games usually last about 3 hours so it should all be done and dusted by about 4:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 KnightLight

Shelflife wrote: »

Cheers

Heard GAA was going to have some special entertainment before kickoff and again at halftime.

Believe the game ball will be delivered by parachute jumper too.

Kickoff is set for 1:30 PM (TV air time officially begins...maybe kickoff is a few mins later).

If you want to catch both national anthems and other festivities, can't hurt to get there early. (Teams will warm up probably from 12:00 PM - 1:10 PM or so...then go back into the lockerrooms before running out close to 1:30 pm).

Also, as noted, Tailgate Party will be on Saturday Morning in Temple Bar...and free bus transportation will be available to/from the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Do you know how many starters each side is bringing back this year?

Here's how UCF shape up this year. Players in bold are returning, players not in bold have left. 2013 stats to the right if applicable.

tkUr2vI.png

And Penn State's similar players/stats: (DaQuan Jones and Kyle Baublitz are in bold but are not returning)

RhYPKIr.png

All stats are from Bill Connelly's (superb) season previews.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. What does the red text indicate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

What are the betting odds over there on the game? Here, oddsmakers are picking PSU by 1 to 1.5 over UCF. Emotionally, I’d take PSU with the odds merely because they have a returning quarterback and UCF doesn’t (and I'm a diehard Penn State fan). But if I had money on the line I might have to go with UCF, as PSU is still in transition mode and the new staff is still installing different systems then the returning players are accustomed to. They also lost three starters on the offensive line and their ability to protect the QB is in question. On defense they have no proven linebackers, and I’ve been hearing they haven’t improved their kicking game much.

Amerika wrote: »
    What are the betting odds over there on the game? Here, oddsmakers are picking PSU by 1 to 1.5 over UCF. Emotionally, I’d take PSU with the odds merely because they have a returning quarterback and UCF doesn’t (and I'm a diehard Penn State fan). But if I had money on the line I might have to go with UCF, as PSU is still in transition mode and the new staff is still installing different systems then the returning players are accustomed to. They also lost three starters on the offensive line and their ability to protect the QB is in question. On defense they have no proven linebackers, and I’ve been hearing they haven’t improved their kicking game much.

PSU's returning 5-star QB, now a Soph after a year of starter, is a major advantage.

Last year, he played pretty good vs UCF but UCF had Blake Bortles UCF receivers made some amazing catches in that game, plus RB Storm Johnson, now in the NFL, had a big game for UCF too).

Match-up to watch will be PSU Offensive Line vs UCF's Defensive Line...as one of UCF's D Achilles heels is that UCF's DL struggled getting a pass rush last season as UCF has to improve on that this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Just checked PP. They dont have a spread, both teams are scratch but UCF are slight favourites with shorter odds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

PSU's returning 5-star QB, now a Soph after a year of starter, is a major advantage.

Last year, he played pretty good vs UCF but UCF had Blake Bortles UCF receivers made some amazing catches in that game, plus RB Storm Johnson, now in the NFL, had a big game for UCF too).

Match-up to watch will be PSU Offensive Line vs UCF's Defensive Line...as one of UCF's D Achilles heels is that UCF's DL struggled getting a pass rush last season as UCF has to improve on that this year.

Yeah Christian Hackenberg as PSU QB is probably their strongest asset... but can the O-line protect him and provide him time to throw? And other than Geno Lewis, whom do they have in the receiving corps that could stand out?

The game last year was blacked out for me so I didn’t get to see it. My cable company is the only holdout left with the Big Ten Network, and they didn’t resolve it again this year. The cable company states the cost they would need to pass on to the customers doesn’t warrant the games they would pick up. As the vast majority of their customer base are PSU fans (who wouldn’t be interested much in other Big Ten schools), their thinking is the better PSU games will be picked up by some network and only the lesser non-meaningful PSU games is what they would net. The cable company wants to provide it as a premium package customers could pay additional for, but the Big Ten demands it be provided to all customers where all customers have to pay to get the channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

What channel well be showing this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ESPN presumably

cena wrote: »

In the states, it will be live on ESPN2 at 8:30 AM

ESPN will have their regular College GameDay at 9 AM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

80 euro for lower Cusack right on the 50 yd line and about one third the way up the stand

Can't ask for a better seat then that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

Well any pubs show the game

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Woolshed maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

mikemac1 wrote: »
    80 euro for lower Cusack right on the 50 yd line and about one third the way up the stand

Can't ask for a better seat then that :)

If you didn't mind sitting on PSU side!

LETS GO UCF ;)

As KnightLight hasn't reached the post quota for posting videos or links etc., he's asked me to put these up. The first is a highlight video from last season's UCF V Penn State match up and the second is a tv report on UCF's preperations in regards to getting all of their equipment pieces to Dublin.

EDIT - Slightly one-sided look at the highlights by the look of things...!!!!

EDIT - Slightly one-sided look at the highlights by the look of things...!!!!

Well, since they were UCF Highlights, I certainly hoped the showed the good UCF plays and not the bad:)

Thanks for posting the videos again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

The volcano in Iceland has started erupting, hopefully the wind sends any ash elsewhere!
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28913165

• Advertisement

More from KnightLight.

"Here's a great photo of UCF WR's JJ Worton's TD Catch in the corner end zone vs Penn State last year:

http://orweb.sx2.atl.publicus.com/ap...&AlignH=Center

JJ Worton is the WR who became nationally famous with his one hand catch in the closing minute vs Temple last year, which was one of the top plays in all of college football last season:

The Catch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5LG7DhSxJg

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/908/1494988.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Prepare for this game to get serious criticism from the gaa boys anyway! Absolutely the GAA's fault for not planning properly for a drawn football semi final. Hopefully it doesn't detract too much from what should be a great occasion next Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Limerick GAA grounds have been redeveloped recently at considerable cost, having the semi final replay there won't hurt them, especially considering the crowd today wasn't up to much (yes I know about the trains).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Prepare for this game to get serious criticism from the gaa boys anyway! Absolutely the GAA's fault for not planning properly for a drawn football semi final. Hopefully it doesn't detract too much from what should be a great occasion next Saturday.

There are going to be a few people complaining but it will hardly detract from the occassion. Its the Croke Park stadium directors fault for having the American Football match on in the stadium when potentially Croke Park could need to be used for a GAA match and I would day most of the complaints will be about that.

Bateman wrote: »
    considering the crowd today wasn't up to much (yes I know about the trains).

Over 52k there today. That's not bad, with or without trains. Hopefully there'll be that many there next Saturday.

Yeah agreed, there will be plenty of moaning from the GAA fraternity but nothing new there, it's not as if GAA greed is a recent phenomenon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Over 52k there today. That's not bad, with or without trains. Hopefully there'll be that many there next Saturday.

That game and today showed how hard itis to sell out croker these days. All Ireland semi between 2 of the best supported teams and there were huge areas if empty seats and part of the ground closed. Dublin haven't sold it out this year. This game had no chance of a sell out

maybe it was 52k but didn't look it on tele

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Where is all this GAA bashing coming from, they had a plan in place and will now use it. If they wanted Croker for the replay it could be saturday week the day before the AI hurling.

Ah it did look well packed from several angles and the train situation is obviously a factor. Next Sunday seems to be sold out too according to the GAA tickets portal, I just went looking there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That game and today showed how hard itis to sell out croker these days. All Ireland semi between 2 of the best supported teams and there were huge areas if empty seats and part of the ground closed. Dublin haven't sold it out this year. This game had no chance of a sell out

maybe it was 52k but didn't look it on tele

That's the trouble with Croker though. Any other ground and 52k would look great but its sheer size tends to make anything less than 70k look a bit lost in it

The bitterness in the GAA forum is hilarious.

Little do they know that we're just as pissed that this game is in Croke Park too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

P_1 wrote: »
    That's the trouble with Croker though. Any other ground and 52k would look great but its sheer size tends to make anything less than 70k look a bit lost in it

Thats true although sometimes I think they could be smarter about which areas to not open to make it look a lot better

salmocab wrote: »
    Where is all this GAA bashing coming from, they had a plan in place and will now use it. If they wanted Croker for the replay it could be saturday week the day before the AI hurling.

This is already being talked about on Six One, let's see if we see an embarrassing climbdown due to pressure now over the next few days. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's criticism at the GAA for sanctioning it, not for the NCAA/collages/fans for having the game.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's criticism at the GAA for sanctioning it, not for the NCAA/collages/fans for having the game.

It should be funny then when they see highlights from Croke Park next Saturday and the place is half full and they start giving out that it should have been in Landsdowne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Where would be better to head before the game, into temple bar or into Drumcondra?

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Where would be better to head before the game, into temple bar or into Drumcondra?

Is 'go to Temple Bar' ever a correct answer to any question? However, if you want to mingle with fans from the States, that'll be the place to go but make sure you have plenty of cash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Is 'go to Temple Bar' ever a correct answer to any question? However, if you want to mingle with fans from the States, that'll be the place to go but make sure you have plenty of cash!

:P Drink there quite regularly, paying an extra few Euro I don't mind if I'm having a good time.

Just noticed free shuttle bus into Croker, not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

how much are tickets for this game, and where are they on sale? Tempted to tip along and check it out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There is just a 12 week period in every year when Croke Park is needed in pristine condition and at maximum capacity, any other vanity events should only be accommodated outside that window.

Its no fault of the american teams/organisers, or the fans of american football in Ireland, but this game should never have been scheduled, no more than Brooks or any other concert any year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Larbre34 wrote: »
    There is just a 12 week period in every year when Croke Park is needed in pristine condition and at maximum capacity, any other vanity events should only be accommodated outside that window.

Its no fault of the american teams/organisers, or the fans of american football in Ireland, but this game should never have been scheduled, no more than Brooks or any other concert any year.

Probably a valid point. Croke park management/decisions are very questionable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

cena wrote: »

ESPN UK (Sky 417, UPC 407) will be showing it.

As the Navy v ND game a couple of years ago was also a week 1 game, I'd imagine teams will only travel over this week and not when they're in the middle of a season and have classes to go to etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well if it must be a Week 1 game to suit the college term, it should only be in Lansdowne road, which is largely dormant throughout July and August. Its something that will have to be dealt with for the future.

Well if it must be a Week 1 game to suit the college term, it should only be in Lansdowne road, which is largely dormant throughout July and August. Its something that will have to be dealt with for the future.

I think (and am open to correction) that this is the GAA are actively involved in this event as a partner as opposed to just renting out the stadium. So it was always going to be Croker.

Whether they should be involved or not, isn't for me to say as I'm not a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Was at the GAA today (first time in Croke Park - going again to this next week, talk about famine or feast) and there was over 52 or 56 cant remember thousand, as they showed it on the board - it was packed, but the Hill I think, and Upper Davin were empty, which must have looked terrible on TV, but otherwise the stadium was packed - agree with a previous poster saying it would look bad on the TV with less than 70k people. Atmosphere was brilliant, new favorite stadium, and I think next week will be fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

As the Navy v ND game a couple of years ago was also a week 1 game, I'd imagine teams will only travel over this week and not when they're in the middle of a season and have classes to go to etc.

Not to mention it's Labour Day weekend, so everyone has the monday off. Makes it easy to travel back.

Can't say I'm looking forward to facing all the GAA heads in the office tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Raphael wrote: »

Can't say I'm looking forward to facing all the GAA heads in the office tomorrow.

Why?

Its the GAA themselves that most GAA supporters are giving out about.They are the only ones to blame for this situation.

Why?

Its the GAA themselves that most GAA supporters are giving out about.They are the only ones to blame for this situation.

I don't know how many semi finals over the past 30 years or so have gone to replays so the GAA took a chance and in this case the small chance happened so their decision has backfired.

But I don't blame them for it and I don't think it's as big a deal as some are making it out to be. If it was the semi final itself and players were missing out on playing in CP, fair enough but they got to experience it today and it's not like they're never going to play there again.

Just my opinion, but as a part time, passing interest GAA supporter maybe I'm not qualified to speak on the entitlements or rights and wrongs of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Accu weather are giving a 58% of rain for Saturday afternoon so everyone have their jackets and brollies ready just in case

• Advertisement
Advertisement