Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new york 2014

Options
  • 03-07-2013 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭

Hey there so I'm thinking of visiting New York either in February or April next year for 5 nights. It'll be just me and my girlfriend. Most likely between 11th April and 28th April as she is a teacher and will be on mid term. Is it best to book flights early or closer to the time?? And can people recommend hotels and their location, doesn't have to be city center as long as it's served by public transport and not over 40 minutes from the main cluster of places that people visit when they're there. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Don't live in Ireland so can't say too much about flights but I doubt they would get cheaper as the time draws near.

For hotels, well, what's your budget? If it's around $200-$300, the Shoreham and the Muse are pretty good bets. Shoreham is on 55th, very close to the expensive shopping of 5th Avenue and hotels such as the Peninsula, the Plaza and the St. Regis (those hotels are around $800 per night, but that gives you an idea of how nice the area is). The Muse is on 46th, near enough to shopping as well, but also right in the heart of the Theater District.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

SoulTrader wrote: »
    Don't live in Ireland so can't say too much about flights but I doubt they would get cheaper as the time draws near.

For hotels, well, what's your budget? If it's around $200-$300, the Shoreham and the Muse are pretty good bets. Shoreham is on 55th, very close to the expensive shopping of 5th Avenue and hotels such as the Peninsula, the Plaza and the St. Regis (those hotels are around $800 per night, but that gives you an idea of how nice the area is). The Muse is on 46th, near enough to shopping as well, but also right in the heart of the Theater District.

Budget would probably no more than 200 a night. I'll have a look at those hotels, thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Broadway hotel and hostel i was there in april of this year. I paid €600 for 6 nights. Its located on west 101st there is a subway 2 blocks away and it only takes 10 min to get to times square on the sub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

If he's going with his girlfriend I wouldnt be recommending hostels!

Try http://www.thejanenyc.com/

I stayed there last year and while the rooms are tiny it is great value and the location is good and safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Its a hotel and hostel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I usually book flights pretty far out if the price seems reasonable. I have flights to the US which I booked in January for a September trip and booked last month for a march 2014 trip. I find they fluctuate up and down as the time draws nearer but rarely beat the early price I go for. Anyway I'd recommend the hotel mela. It's a very short walk onto Times Square and a very nice, reasonably priced hotel. Rooms are small like most New York hotels but decor price and location make up for it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I went to NYC with my girlfriend in May. We booked the flights in January. We flew Delta, Shannon to JFK, for 347 euro return. We stayed in The Howard Johnson for 7 nights. It's a brand new hotel, on Manhattan island and very close to the subway. The staff were fantastic. We got a continental breakfast included in the price. We paid about 1200 euro (that's including the hotel room tax of 30 odd dollars a night the city of New York applies to hotel rooms, the tax is usually added to your bill when you check out). All in all we got the got the flights and a week's accommodation for about 950 euro each.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g60763-d3506933-Reviews-Howard_Johnson_Manhattan_Soho-New_York_City_New_York.html

http://www.hojo.com/hotels/new-york/new-york/howard-johnson-manhattan-soho/hotel-overview

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, really appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

I've lived in New York for almost 20 years and have often found accommodation for relatives/friends etc. visiting from Ireland. My point of view would be different from most of the posts above - I would strongly recommend against staying in midtown. Practically no actual New Yorkers live there apart - it's basically set up as a place to visit but not to inhabit. The restaurants up there are all overpriced and generally terrible and virtually everyone on the street is either an office worker or a tourist.

You're far better off staying in some of the lovely downtown neighborhoods such as the West Village, East Village, Soho, NoHo, etc. Far better bars, restaurants and just a better atmosphere with lots of interesting people around. As far as hotels are concerned I would recommend against staying away from them altogether. They are insanely overpriced and generally very disappointing for what you pay - often with small noisy rooms. For the last few years virtually everyone I know who has come over has found a place using airbnb.com - these are private apartments rented out by New Yorkers. You can easily get a nice place in any of the above neighborhoods for less than $200 a night using it. Just look for a place with plenty of favorable reviews from previous guests and you'll be fine.

Again - avoid midtown, it's a place to visit during the day in order to see the tourist attractions if you wish, not to actually stay in overnight. Also, I would definitely avoid going in February if you can as you will freeze your ass off. April or May would be far better.

• Advertisement

I've lived in New York for almost 20 years and have often found accommodation for relatives/friends etc. visiting from Ireland. My point of view would be different from most of the posts above - I would strongly recommend against staying in midtown. Practically no actual New Yorkers live there apart - it's basically set up as a place to visit but not to inhabit. The restaurants up there are all overpriced and generally terrible and virtually everyone on the street is either an office worker or a tourist.

You're far better off staying in some of the lovely downtown neighborhoods such as the West Village, East Village, Soho, NoHo, etc. Far better bars, restaurants and just a better atmosphere with lots of interesting people around. As far as hotels are concerned I would recommend against staying away from them altogether. They are insanely overpriced and generally very disappointing for what you pay - often with small noisy rooms. For the last few years virtually everyone I know who has come over has found a place using airbnb.com - these are private apartments rented out by New Yorkers. You can easily get a nice place in any of the above neighborhoods for less than $200 a night using it. Just look for a place with plenty of favorable reviews from previous guests and you'll be fine.

Again - avoid midtown, it's a place to visit during the day in order to see the tourist attractions if you wish, not to actually stay in overnight. Also, I would definitely avoid going in February if you can as you will freeze your ass off. April or May would be far better.

Sound, thanks very much, still considering my options. Would it be ok to pm you sometime??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Just keep an eye on the aer lingus website, they have been the cheapest flights any time we've crossed the pond.

Normally later in the year they will have a sale on spring flights, you'll get the best prices for april then.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Sound, thanks very much, still considering my options. Would it be ok to pm you sometime??

Sure, feel free.

Advertisement