Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Students TCD

Options
  • 03-07-2013 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi! is anyone else here starting this year, moving to dublin? or maybe having started already want to share their tales or advice and tips from their experience of going to trinity as a mature student?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭LJ82

Hi, I'm doing a Masters starting this year, won't be moving to Dublin though as I'll be able to commute. Mixed feelings, very excited and nervous, want my timetable now though so I can make travel plans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LaLacuna

Hi LJ82, feeling exactly the same! a timetable now would be fab but i've a feeling we might have to learn to wing it for a while yet lol. have you had a long break from formal ed? it's been over ten yrs for me, god only knows how i'll adapt to it all again but feeling strangely optimistic : ) plenty of time to start pulling my hair out i think, so gonna enjoy the feeling of achievement at just getting in for a little while longer!

heehee that's so funny, I've lost count the amount of times I've googled....academic calendar trinity..... we just have to suck it up I guess!

I am so excited about starting alright, even being up there for the interview felt great. My last formal ed finished in 2005, it was a postgrad though with only 18 in the class so it was very intimate and supportive, I swear I still don't know how to do a bibliography!!!!

What are you going to be studying? :)

I'm starting from scratch as an undergrad studying psychology! how about you, what are you doing your masters in?
    it's been good to chat with people here. I'm looking forward to moving to dublin and have friends there but i think its important to know people in a similar position too. really looking forward to getting updates from the college so as to get a feel for what's ahead. and hopefully will sort out accommodation soon, would like to be fairly well established before the start of term if at all possible.
    just can't wait to get stuck in lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I am starting in Trinity this September aswel, after 10 years since the last time I stepped food in college! Excites and nervous at the same time, as the previous posts said, ive been googling timetable to get a feel of whats a head of me, but not having much look finding it :(

• Advertisement

Hi bri007, what are we like with our timetable obsession! Although my OH is starting in AIT in sept and the exact timetable for the 2012-2013 year is online, not only the general times and subjects but the tutors as well.

I emailed admin last week re times but got an out of office reply, I guess shall just have to wait.

Lalacuna...psychology sounds amazing, you did super well to get in, congrats, have heard it's very competitive. I'm doing Social Work, am really excited now when I think about it, goodness only what I'll be like come September. Keep thinking about the placements etc

What are you doing bri007?

Hi Bri007, welcome to the thread : ) congrats to us all on getting this far! i have to admit, until i accepted with the cao yesterday i was still waiting for trinity to email me to say there had been a mistake, i can't quite believe that i made the cut!
    i passed the college last tues for the first time since my interview and spent the rest of the day walking around with a huge smile on my face : ))
    looking forward to reading back on our present enthusiasm and excitement when it comes to exam time lol.
    Re. timetables etc. lads, lets not hold our breaths i think! if you quicksearch 'tcd timetables' here there are plenty of rants about them not even being sorted in september so.....
    well my plan is to make my plans now and i guess if i need to change them in a few months, that's what i'll have to do!
    t'would be nice tho ; )

Hey LJ82, timetable obsessions must be a first, :) prob wont give them to us until august at the earliest. I am going to be studying Occupational Therapy, Cant wait, it was my first choice, i am delighted.

hey LaLacuna, Thanks, and congrats on your course, and same to LJ82. Yeah I was like a child at xmas, getting up early to check the CAO account, with excitement, Still waiting for a the dream to end!!

We should enjoy our summer, and worry about all the mix ups (im 100% there will be :) ) on the timetables. And congrats again to everyone that got offered a course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Undergrad teaching begins 23rd Sep, with Fresher's week the week before.
    Timetables more than likely won't be published til the week before college starts back

with regards to freshers week, is that just registration and stuff like that, does everyone have to attend it?

• Advertisement

I'm not really sure how they're doing it now for new undergrads since they brought in the new my.tcd.ie system.
    Generally you'll get your timetable of events for that week which will include a general orientation, course orientation & a library tour & then the sports centre tour.
    So if you're in OT you'll have your general orientation more than likely in the Samuel Beckett Theatre with all the Physios, Meds, Dentists, RTs where they introduce you all to the college and do some team building stuff to liven it up a bit. Then you'll have your course orientation & library tour with just your OT class out in the Trinity Centre in St. James' Hospital (OT is based out there full time except til mid-November where you'll have Anatomy on campus).
    The sports centre tour is optional and just to show you the pool & gym and all the facilities.

It's also advised that you meet with your tutor that week. You'll get the details of your tutor closer to fresher's week but a lot of your dealings with the college will be through them so it's important to meet with them.

Other than that, Fresher's week is when you can join all the societies you want to join. Front square will be laid out with stalls for each of the societies & there'll be free food etc. Mon-Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

To move to Dublin or not, that is the question.... Starting general nursing in Sep,cant wait

Thanks a mill for you reply and all your info you provided me with :) It sounds good, its a good set up, and there are some societies i would like to join aswel. Yeah I heard that OT is mostly out in St. James hospital, I will finally get to use the luas :D

Thanks again for the info :)
    Anita Blow wrote: »
    I'm not really sure how they're doing it now for new undergrads since they brought in the new my.tcd.ie system.
    Generally you'll get your timetable of events for that week which will include a general orientation, course orientation & a library tour & then the sports centre tour.
    So if you're in OT you'll have your general orientation more than likely in the Samuel Beckett Theatre with all the Physios, Meds, Dentists, RTs where they introduce you all to the college and do some team building stuff to liven it up a bit. Then you'll have your course orientation & library tour with just your OT class out in the Trinity Centre in St. James' Hospital (OT is based out there full time except til mid-November where you'll have Anatomy on campus).
    The sports centre tour is optional and just to show you the pool & gym and all the facilities.

It's also advised that you meet with your tutor that week. You'll get the details of your tutor closer to fresher's week but a lot of your dealings with the college will be through them so it's important to meet with them.

Other than that, Fresher's week is when you can join all the societies you want to join. Front square will be laid out with stalls for each of the societies & there'll be free food etc. Mon-Fri.

The 123 bus will be your friend. Will take you from just outside Front Arch to James' when you have lectures on campus & then have to make it back to James'.

To move to Dublin or not, that is the question.... Starting general nursing in Sep,cant wait

Congrats! I'm going to be commuting, moving isn't an option, not looking forward to it, depending on which option I take it could take 2 hours, did you decide what to do?

I got email today from tcd saying that they are posting put formal info for my course on July 23rd, they also sent me the calendar for the year, induction week is Sept 16th, 7 weeks of class, reading week and then 5 more weeks until Christmas break, the year is seriously going to fly!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

LJ82 wrote: »
    Congrats! I'm going to be commuting, moving isn't an option, not looking forward to it, depending on which option I take it could take 2 hours, did you decide what to do?

I got email today from tcd saying that they are posting put formal info for my course on July 23rd, they also sent me the calendar for the year, induction week is Sept 16th, 7 weeks of class, reading week and then 5 more weeks until Christmas break, the year is seriously going to fly!

Think im going to commute for the first 6 months to a year, Just to get my feet on the ground with college work. Then possibly make the move when im more grounded in Dublin. Cant wait to get started!

Think im going to commute for the first 6 months to a year, Just to get my feet on the ground with college work. Then possibly make the move when im more grounded in Dublin. Cant wait to get started!

Sounds like a good plan, one major life changing experience at a time :D

Gosh LJ82 that's a big commute! But on the plus side if you can make it so your not driving it could be a great opportunity to get in some reading : ) i'm definitely hoping all my moving plans fall into place soon, it's a lot of changes all at once and would prefer to get the new job and new apt. out of the way by August at the latest so that come September I've got some sort of routine and am somewhat settled! commuting will not be an option so I guess it's all in for me : )

I'm really curious about all the societies, and the broad curriculum and it seems like all new students are encouraged to take on a language if i'm not mistaken? it's hard to even contemplate extras before having any real understanding of what's ahead with our chosen courses. Still trying to stick with my plan of swimming with the tide as opposed to against it for the moment lol

Hey folks, did ye get that email about next thursday? Are any of ye going? I haven't made up my mind yet, it's such short notice I'm not sure I can arrange it and also I'm not sure how worthwhile it will be?.....what do ye reckon? On the other hand I suppose any info is progress lol and it might be an opportunity to get to know one or two people...........now this is why it'd be great to be already living and working in Dub.!

Yeah I got the email as well. Still undecided about going, I had other plans next Wed and Thur, so not sure if I can make it. I can cancel them, but want to make sure its worth doing that first?

Wish they emailed a bit sooner about it.
    LaLacuna wrote: »
    Hey folks, did ye get that email about next thursday? Are any of ye going? I haven't made up my mind yet, it's such short notice I'm not sure I can arrange it and also I'm not sure how worthwhile it will be?.....what do ye reckon? On the other hand I suppose any info is progress lol and it might be an opportunity to get to know one or two people...........now this is why it'd be great to be already living and working in Dub.!

• Advertisement

bri007 wrote: »
    Yeah I got the email as well. Still undecided about going, I had other plans next Wed and Thur, so not sure if I can make it. I can cancel them, but want to make sure its worth doing that first?

Wish they emailed a bit sooner about it.

I know right! and on top of that, for the most part anyway, it seems like a lot of it is about grants and financing and the kinds of things that most people would have sorted by now? hard to tell though without going whether it's valuable or not. Might phone them monday for a bit more detail

Yeah seems to be mostly about susi, BTEA etc, which I have applied for and know most of what I need to know.

Only thing would be meeting similar mature students, but again, the freshers week would be ideal for that.

Hopefully someone on boards that maybe went last year can share a light on it for us.

Do trinity encourage all students to take on extra language course do you know?
    I know right! and on top of that, for the most part anyway, it seems like a lot of it is about grants and financing and the kinds of things that most people would have sorted by now? hard to tell though without going whether it's valuable or not. Might phone them monday for a bit more detail

well i'm feeling very left out, didn't get anything :confused: same as you guys though, have plans for thurs as well, wonder what it's all about

i will pm'd you the email
    LJ82 wrote: »
    well i'm feeling very left out, didn't get anything :confused: same as you guys though, have plans for thurs as well, wonder what it's all about

Do trinity encourage all students to take on extra language course do you know?

Not at all. They do offer extracurricular language courses but they're quite small. You'd be better just to join the Modern Languages Society which run language classes & events if you're looking to learn another language

Thanks for the reply, yeah its something I always wanted to do, it would be very beneficial to have an extra language if I decide to go travelling or work abroad.

I am looking forward to finding out about all the societies that are available, i have been looking them up, and the way i am going ill be doing 20 :eek:

I will narrow it down to one or two that I really want to do, come starting in trinity
    Anita Blow wrote: »
    Not at all. They do offer extracurricular language courses but they're quite small. You'd be better just to join the Modern Languages Society which run language classes & events if you're looking to learn another language

The general rule in first year is you join about 1000 societies and end up not going to a single one!
    The membership cards are worth it though..great discounts with them.

You'll find it's a bit of a pain being off-campus when you want to take part in societies. Health Sciences don't exactly allow for much free time for societies. I'm going into 3rd year now and making it my mission to be active in at least one!

I will be signing up to them all now :)

Yeah I hope to get to go to one or two of them but as you said, all depends on free time etc.

i will pm'd you the email

thank you so much for doing that, really appreciate it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

looking forward to reading back on our present enthusiasm and excitement when it comes to exam time lol.
    Re. timetables etc. lads, lets not hold our breaths i think! if you quicksearch 'tcd timetables' here there are plenty of rants about them not even being sorted in september so.....
    well my plan is to make my plans now and i guess if i need to change them in a few months, that's what i'll have to do!
    t'would be nice tho ; )

hey I'm studying psychology as well and we only got our timetable about two days before the term started, it was all a bit of a mess. altogether i had 10 hours of lectures/seminars, but with broad curriculum and tutorials that goes up to about 15 hours per week, which isn't much but a lot of the course is researching/reading independently. hopefully this year they sort timetables out a little quicker.

Advertisement