Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Students TCD

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LaLacuna

bri007 wrote: »
    Do trinity encourage all students to take on extra language course do you know?

Hey bri007 just what I saw from the orientation website from last year, seems to be under construction now for the new year so hard to tell if I misunderstood?
    LJ82 wrote: »
    well i'm feeling very left out, didn't get anything :confused: same as you guys though, have plans for thurs as well, wonder what it's all about

hey LJ82 did you receive an email in the end?

As it turns out I definitely cant make it and wasn't able to get through to anyone today to find out more. have fired off some emails so will let you all know if I learn anything new!
    fiinch wrote: »
    hey I'm studying psychology as well and we only got our timetable about two days before the term started, it was all a bit of a mess. altogether i had 10 hours of lectures/seminars, but with broad curriculum and tutorials that goes up to about 15 hours per week, which isn't much but a lot of the course is researching/reading independently. hopefully this year they sort timetables out a little quicker.

Hi fiinch, thanks for getting in touch! that seems to be the trend alright lol. it makes it very difficult to decide what additional subjects, if any, are viable to take on I think. what year are you in now? I would love to know if you have any advice for a newbie like myself. did you start as a mature student too? did you get much advice on how to disseminate information independently and research effectively, I think that's what I'm most anxious about! anyway, any and all suggestions would be gratefully received!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks LaLacuna, have you thought any more about going into trinity this thursday?

Hi br007, won't make it in, how about you?

I dont think I will be able to make it in either, I have something on Thursday morning, I dont think we will miss too much, hopefully not anyway :rolleyes:
    LaLacuna wrote: »
    Hi br007, won't make it in, how about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭LJ82

HI Lalacuna, I never did get email, I think though that i'm not actually technically a mature student, am not sure though. Had to apply direct to college for my course as opposed to as a mature student :( but can I still be in your gang?? :p

• Advertisement

Ah im sure we will let you join the gang :D:D
    LJ82 wrote: »
    HI Lalacuna, I never did get email, I think though that i'm not actually technically a mature student, am not sure though. Had to apply direct to college for my course as opposed to as a mature student :( but can I still be in your gang?? :p

bri007 wrote: »
    Ah im sure we will let you join the gang :D:D

lol, defo

lol, defo

aw shucks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

Hi fiinch, thanks for getting in touch! that seems to be the trend alright lol. it makes it very difficult to decide what additional subjects, if any, are viable to take on I think. what year are you in now? I would love to know if you have any advice for a newbie like myself. did you start as a mature student too? did you get much advice on how to disseminate information independently and research effectively, I think that's what I'm most anxious about! anyway, any and all suggestions would be gratefully received!

I'm going into second year, so we'll actually have a few of the same lectures as 1/2 year overlap some modules. As far as the work goes it's actually not that hard, statistics is probably the worst of the bunch so i'd make sure you stay on top of that because it can be confusing at times. grades don't count towards your degree till third year so i wouldn't stress too much. join some clubs and get involved in societies, i'm having a lot more fun than a fair few of the other mature students i've chatted to because i go to as many events as i can!

oh and you'll be shown how to do all the research in the databases, don't worry about that, although it is a pain in the arse sometimes :D

Hi Guys, just wondering how you are all getting on? Any fun and joys with SUSI/BTEA or the like?
    I'm still pretty excited, I got a start date of Sept 16th for an induction week, three weeks today and counting! :P

• Advertisement

Hey Folks, it's getting close now! Haven't heard anything from susi/ btea yet, trying to keep cool! will be attending the maths/stats refresher on the 5th and then i think it's the 9th-12th for mature orientation, then freshers then classes! looking forward to getting going now. did any of you get an email with links from the last information day? would appreciate a copy if you did, also, fiinch, would you mind me asking for a copy of your first year timetable? I know it will be completely different but it'd be great to have some idea of how it might look, just like Tesco, every little helps lol : )

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

Hey Folks, it's getting close now! Haven't heard anything from susi/ btea yet, trying to keep cool! will be attending the maths/stats refresher on the 5th and then i think it's the 9th-12th for mature orientation, then freshers then classes! looking forward to getting going now. did any of you get an email with links from the last information day? would appreciate a copy if you did, also, fiinch, would you mind me asking for a copy of your first year timetable? I know it will be completely different but it'd be great to have some idea of how it might look, just like Tesco, every little helps lol : )

hey, here's a copy of our first year timetable http://i.imgur.com/L2eI7TH.jpg

a friend had a look at our modules for this year and thinks the timetable will be something like this:

Monday
    9-11 Fundamentals of Neuroscience

Tuesday
    11-12 Developmental
    1-2 Cognition

Wednesday
    10-11 Cognition
    12-2 RSaM Seminar for group 2

Friday
    1-2 Cognition
    3-5 RSaM Seminar for Group 1

you'll have different RSam times though, but the other modules we share i think

Advertisement