Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River nore

Options
  • 04-07-2013 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

hello
    thinking of going the the river nore any tips or best beats or stretches to fish i dont know the river at all and flies i should use etc
    thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

I fish abbeyleix/shanahoe stretch.not too sure what fliies would be best as im a wormer :)
    Great river for flies all the same.fish do be crawling surface in the evenings for flies

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

Thanks What beat or stretch would you recommend thanks, i got the idea of going to the river nore from Trout and salmon magazine (its old) around thomastown and knockanore b&b was good ever fish around there?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Eriesniper wrote: »
    Thanks What beat or stretch would you recommend thanks, i got the idea of going to the river nore from Trout and salmon magazine (its old) around thomastown and knockanore b&b was good ever fish around there?

I fish the durrow and kilkenny city waters. if I was on it right now id stick on a size 16 or 14 DHE.

this would be my starting fly 90% of the time. if nothing doing i would attach a size 18 tungsten bead head nymph new zealand style. still nothing I would go with 2 nymphs and eventually end up with a lure. this would be my tactics on most rivers. ive always found the nore fish fairly non selective ie at any given moment a well presented random fly will get a response. other rivers (the liffey) are the complete opposite you could go through 20-30 patterns before getting a reaction...

let us know how you get on. where are you based btw?

Galway, And thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Galway, And thanks for the advice!

if I was based in galway I wouldnt go near the east coast for love nor money...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

hello
    thinking of going the the river nore any tips or best beats or stretches to fish i dont know the river at all and flies i should use etc
    thx

The same flies you would use on any other limestone river. Depending upon water levels, if low which it is at the moment.
    Dry
    kites imperial size 16, tied with heron herl, purple thread and medium ginger cock hackle. (Day time, even if no olives hatching).
    Klinkhammer size 14 or better 16.
    Deer hair sedge size 14, yellow seals fur body deer hair wing, brown hackle (evening fly).

All on fine tippet.

Or upstream nymph.
    A correctly tied sawyer phesant tail nymph, tied with copper wire, (still the best, especially for larger trout that can be wary of flashy gold beads).

If a bit of water you could go down the streamer road and try stuff like minky wolly bugger etc etc, just make sure it's black!

It amazes me how many people worry about what flies to fish, when in reality on the river (the lake is different) all you need is a handfull.

Tie the above flies, if you don't tie flies get someone to tie them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

whelzer wrote: »
    if I was based in galway I wouldnt go near the east coast for love nor money...

Think I would have the opposite view.
    Some great trout rivers on the east coast.

I know Galway is Very good For brown trout (lough corrib) but i dont have a boat i have fished there before, and caught a few nice sized fish but i like the rivers a lot more there's only few good rivers tho around my area (clare)

Advertisement