Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and cons of bringing my Korean gf to Ireland.

Options
  • 04-07-2013 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Okay, this might turn into a long story so I'll try to keep it short and relevant!

So after 3 years in Korea, I have decided that it's time for me to leave. I want to get back and build up a proper career in IT. I hope to be accepted into an ICT skills course next year to finish off my IT degree. I think at this moment in time, for me, it's a great time to get back into IT.

My gf isn't so sure, she graduated Uni this year and is just in her first career job since March. (Anybody that has been here before will know the importance of this to Koreans.) She would like me to stay another year but I want to leave next year.

Basically what I'm looking for here is information regarding a Korean citizen moving here i.e. visa requirements, job opportunities etc. I think the biggest stumbling block will be trying to find her employment. If anyone could offer any advice or insight into these issues I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

What does your gf do as a career and how proficient is her English? If she was your wife it would be okay visa wise as she would be entitled to stay and work, as your girlfriend I can't say beyond the normal tourist visa or student visa and sponsored work visa.

I think the real stumbling block could be the culture shock for her coming here. The weather will be a big problem, while there is a couple of Korean food stores here in Dublin its not the same and of course missing her family will be massive. Is it Dublin you would be moving to or somewhere else? It's hard to comment really not knowing your situation but, as you know, dating a foreigner is not a decision taken lightly so leaving the country unmarried with one takes a lot as well. Again every situation / person is different.

I knew of a few people who have finished IT degrees / masters in Korea so possibly that's an option for a year for you while she gets more experience in her job and you guys decide on your future.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coldcake

Don't think culture shock is such a big deal, there is a vibrant Korean community here. However, just as I'm typing this I'm thinking it tends to be married couples and kids.

I met my wife in Korea and she is (for the most part) very happy living here.

We got married in Korea, so can't really help with the visa question.

But if she is qualified in a field that is in demand, it may not be so difficult for to find a job. Really depends on what she is qualified in.

I know people who qualified and worked in IT then went teaching English and before they knew it they had been away 5 years and were out of the loop when it came to IT and found it difficult to get jobs. I would advise you keep your qualifications up-to-date and continue to work on open-source stuff to keep your hand in the game, that is if you do intend to stay longer in Korea.

If your girlfriend is not really into leaving Korea at this time and you pressure her into it and then you get here and she can't find a job and the weather is crap she could really start to miss home quickly and the relationship could end in the crapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ryanfm

Hey Mooshop, I'm in a similar position to the OP and ended up working in IT here in Seoul.

Sent you a private message with more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

You want to leave Korea for Ireland?

The rest of us are trying to get out of here, and you're going the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

OK first up she is not married to you and doesn't have a job? Then she will only be allowed to stay in Ireland a maximum of 3 months (90 days). Even then only if immigration allow her. She will need details of where she plans to stay and contacts in Ireland for the duration.

She would not be able to work here, nor study (requires separate visa). So if she has a job in Korea I doubt very much she will travel with you. If she does plan to work/study, then she needs to arrange that before she arrives.

More details here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/

Other then that, there are Koreans in Ireland. I wouldn't say a "Thriving". There is certainly a group that meets up from time to time, but they are not all what everyone would want. There are Korean stores in Dublin and shows are easy to come by.

ICT course, you might just get the same in Korea. Also an qualified & legal English teacher working in a Hagwon is liable to make more money (relative to cost of living) vs an ICT, which does not guarantee a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I too am in a similar position, although my korean fiance and I live in canada, we may have to leave shortly. from what i understand, if you are looking to move to ireland then getting married before hand or within 90 days of arriving in ireland makes things a hell of a lot easier.
    ryanfm, how did you get into IT in seoul? was proficient korean a requirement? I am also in IT, and going back to korea might be an option we have to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ryanfm

retalivity wrote: »
    how did you get into IT in seoul?

It wasn't actually that difficult. I just aimed for 'foreign' companies where language wouldn't be as big of an issue and in the process I learned that even with many Korean companies it's not that much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

Thanks everyone for all your replies and advice.

Currently I'm looking into the possibility of jumping straight into an IT job here, thanks to words of encouragement from ryanfm! It's an option I didn't think was available to me. That's the only reason I was going back to Ireland, to study for a year to get my skills updated.

If I'm successful then bringing the girlfriend to Ireland is a headache I won't have to worry about, but if not I'll have to re-assess my options.

Also, retavility, working here without Korean proficiency is the norm really for a lot of foreigners. I know a few foreigners here working in different companies, and none of them need to use Korean.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I would love to move back to Korea and work in IT rather than teach again...ironically though, the fiance doesnt want to live in Korea!

however, theres a whole load of stuff going on that may not leave us with a choice, so i may be in contact with both you guys at a later date for assistance....

고마워요~~~

• Registered Users Posts: 16 arirang

About visas for a Korean coming to Ireland - you could go the student visa route. It's obviously not ideal and she won't be able to get a 'proper' job on that (part time only), but it's something to consider, especially if you and her aren't 100% sure if she'd really want to settle down here for the long term and if you aren't ready to get married yet etc. It'd make it easier to eventually get a proper full time job as well as you'd have a much less terrible of a time trying to get a job sponsorship for a visa if you are actually in Ireland for the job search, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement