Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning Ireland reports from Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

I don't mean to paint these guys in the second interview in a bad light but the report seems to suggest they have just come in from being out on the tear and now complaining that things are tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

The RTE news done a report on the same issue last night featuring the Claddagh Association and the Claddagh Association has featured a few times in the Australian media along with soup kitchens. The message seems to be always the same "lack of planning etc etc".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Added the most recent report to the OP.
    ifeelill wrote: »
    The message seems to be always the same "lack of planning etc etc".

You see that here on the forum - "I'll just head over and see what happens, if I don't get a job I'll just go home". It's part of our "Ah sure, it'll be grand" attitude but sometimes that just doesn't cut it.

doesn't seem to work xavi.

Cheers, fixed now

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

You see that here on the forum - "I'll just head over and see what happens, if I don't get a job I'll just go home". It's part of our "Ah sure, it'll be grand" attitude but sometimes that just doesn't cut it.

Well if they do come home then the plan did work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Xavi6 wrote: »

The old sure "I'll get work in the mines!! should be plenty of work going for a donkey like me!!"

"Have you got any skills or experience?"

"Yeah I have filled my mammys coal bucket so i'm good to go, sure how hard can it be?"

Ah well another candidate for the soup kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Well if they do come home then the plan did work.

What, the wasting of thousands of Euro to go drink in another country for a while until all your money is gone?

Or being a Boomerang and coming back a few months later feeling like an abject failure, or like my old mate (:pac:) over stay your visa and get into such a poverty stricken state you can't afford to leave even if the Australian Government allowed you to.

Most do plan on returning home but at a time of their choosing and a better person for the experience, Tiger Cubs seem particularly bad at this thanks to their over protective Mammy preparing them or life :rolleyes:

The Aussie wrote: »
    What, the wasting of thousands of Euro to go drink in another country for a while until all your money is gone?
    Yes, because despite a whole lot of whinging about the economy in Ireland there are quite a number who can access such funds and don't really care. If you look on AH you'll see how many people mention their mates who are just over there to sit in Irish bars wearing GAA jerseys and get pissed. When someone says it on AH it is, of course, begrudgery. :rolleyes:
    Or being a Boomerang and coming back a few months later feeling like an abject failure, or like my old mate (:pac:) over stay your visa and get into such a poverty stricken state you can't afford to leave even if the Australian Government allowed you to.
    If they manage to overstay their visa then I'd be surprised if never finding work was the issue.
    Most do plan on returning home but at a time of their choosing and a better person for the experience, Tiger Cubs seem particularly bad at this thanks to their over protective Mammy preparing them or life :rolleyes:
    If there's any increase in the proportion coming home early now it's likely down to the fact that it's just seen as something to do by a lot of people and they're not worried one way or the other rather than them being too mollycoddled by their mammies. Still, hopefully their mammies taught them that they should try to avoid falling into using amazingly boring cliches at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

If they manage to overstay their visa then I'd be surprised if never finding work was the issue.

What, you never heard of the "Ligend" that is Franny from Lucan, he ain't no urban legend you know :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

While I managed to find work over here, my partner is having awful trouble. I would say to people now unless you have a degree or a specific skill, don't bother coming over expecting work. Nurses, engineers and tradies do ok. My teacher friend is now working regularly but it took a few months for her to get more than two days a week. It's almost impossible to get a retail job - I handed CVs into shops only be be told that you must be a permanent resident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I wouldn't let the few describe the many, most Irish backpackers I've met have appeared eagerly proactive in their search for work but as I don't frequent the Jersey wearing establishments I've not been exposed to the more feckless transient type of whose number may be insubstantial to establish a trend but are enough to make news.

However I was told rather brashly by one young Irish lady that I was to "give her a job" merely because by accident of birth we were of the same nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

catbear wrote: »

However I was told rather brashly by one young Irish lady that I was to "give her a job" merely because by accident of birth we were of the same nationality.

:O :O :O

Please tell me she was at least trying to make it into a joke???

Plankton1 wrote: »
    It's almost impossible to get a retail job - I handed CVs into shops only be be told that you must be a permanent resident.

Nonsense. Try harder and be smart about your applications. Places like Myers/Coles aren't going to hire backpackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Batgurl wrote: »
    :O :O :O

Please tell me she was at least trying to make it into a joke???
    I really wish it was a joke but she was exceptional. I was tempted to ask was she from some irish political dynasty, she displayed a shameless sense of entitlement. Gladly she was the exception to the rule.

danotroy wrote: »
    Nonsense. Try harder and be smart about your applications. Places like Myers/Coles aren't going to hire backpackers.

Not nonsense at all. I am on a WHV and went to every store in Westfield. The Body Shop, Forever New and Laura Ashley took my CV. The rest didn't even entertain me - once they heard my accent they asked was I a permanent resident. When I replied no, that was the end of that. They didn't even direct me to their website to apply online. When I did apply to places online, there was a section where you had to declare if you're a resident or not.

Just a word of warning for anyone coming over. No matter how experienced you are your visa can work against you

Just a word of warning for anyone coming over. No matter how experienced you are your visa can work against you

That's nothing new though, it makes little sense for a company to take someone on when they can only work for six months if there's other options out there.

Unfortunately, the actions of some WHV folk when they have been given a chance have left a bad taste in employers' mouths which doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Not nonsense at all. I am on a WHV and went to every store in Westfield. The Body Shop, Forever New and Laura Ashley took my CV. The rest didn't even entertain me - once they heard my accent they asked was I a permanent resident. When I replied no, that was the end of that. They didn't even direct me to their website to apply online. When I did apply to places online, there was a section where you had to declare if you're a resident or not.

So true, my missus had the same dilemma.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/17911734/fewer-jobs-advertised-in-june-anz-survey/
    Fewer jobs advertised in June: ANZ survey

Job advertisements have declined for a fourth consecutive month, with Western Australia the hardest hit as the mining boom slows down.

The number of job ads posted on the internet and published in newspapers fell 1.8 per cent in June, seasonally adjusted, the latest ANZ Job Ads Survey found.

The number of ads in June was 129,720, down from 132,036 in the previous month.

In WA, newspaper job ads fell 6.2 per cent last month to 784, following on from a 7.7 per cent fall in May.

ANZ chief economist Ivan Colhoun said the fall in WA ads was in line with examples of continued cost-cutting and revenue forecast downgrades from the mining sector.

"WA is now recording the sharpest trend decline in newspaper job advertisements of any state, with job advertising nearly 50 per cent lower than a year ago," Mr Colhoun said.

Mr Colhoun said declining trends in job ads had been reliable indicators of lower interest rates and rising unemployment.

"The continuing downward trend for advertising suggests the RBA (Reserve Bank of Australia) will further reduce interest rates in coming months," Mr Colhoun said.

"ANZ expects a further interest rate cut in November this year and sees the balance of risks being for further interest rate reductions in 2014, notwithstanding the fact that a declining Australian dollar is now also providing useful stimulus to the Australian economy."

Of course your not going to get a job in a shopping centre. Why would a nationwide brand hire someone on a whv?

i shall reiterate that you should be smart about your applications. Apply to places that will actually hire you. i.e independent stores, boutiques smaller operations.

Your being totally naive in your applications.

• Advertisement

I actually now have a full time, well paid job but thanks for the condescension.

My point is that being refused an interview or opportunities because of your visa status (no matter what sector) is sadly more and more common - just to let people be aware.

I actually now have a full time, well paid job but thanks for the condescension.

My point is that being refused an interview or opportunities because of your visa status (no matter what sector) is sadly more and more common - just to let people be aware.

more and more common to what? The last time you were on a WHV?

It's a working holiday visa, i.e Holiday first, work maybe at best 2nd.
    This visa allows you to supplement the cost of your holiday through short-term employment. However, if your primary reason for travelling to Australia is to participate in the work force, you should consider a visa designed for that purpose.
    See: Workers

Nothing wrong with refusing people because of a 417 visa, if you really want to work get a more substantial visa otherwise just enjoy your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

danotroy wrote: »
    more and more common to what? The last time you were on a WHV?

Don't be afraid to use your nails boys! :pac::pac::pac:

ifeelill wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to use your nails boys! :pac::pac::pac:

;) I'm just trying to make a point that large chains like myers or others that would be located in shopping malls would rarely hire backpackers. I don't think your Visa works against you as plankton does. What works against you is the perception you have of your WHV. The WHV is not a migrant visa as some people seem to treat it. It's a holiday visa with which you can supplement your stay through short term employment.

No personal problem with Plankton I just think looking for work with large corporation in shopping centers is a fruitless endeavor hence them being naive in applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

:)Frist of im in Melbourne right now... and I want to be the first to put my hands up, to all the faults your talking about... I jumped in to the idea a few months ago to come over...and all dough I am only hear 2 weeks, I know what its like to try and find work hear..... its not what its cracked up to be.... but I im glad I came... cause if I go home in a other 2 weeks.... ill know what to expect the next time I come over.....:) ... And one more thing a mars bar costs $3.:P:P:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

And one more thing... I just had vegmite and I want to rip my head of.....:(:)

:)Frist of im in Melbourne right now... and I want to be the first to put my hands up, to all the faults your talking about... I jumped in to the idea a few months ago to come over...and all dough I am only hear 2 weeks, I know what its like to try and find work hear..... its not what its cracked up to be.... but I im glad I came... cause if I go home in a other 2 weeks.... ill know what to expect the next time I come over.....:) ... And one more thing a mars bar costs $3.:P:P:D:D

im not sure there can be a a next time the WHV is a one time only option. If you are a male try furniture removal companies man with a van is one company that are constantly hiring. Try bars/cafes!! You will find it very hard to find a job in winter in st.kilda area.

And one more thing a mars bar costs $3.:P:P:D:D

There's a supermarket called Coles, they sell Mars bars for $1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

mandrake04 wrote: »
    There's a supermarket called Coles, they sell Mars bars for $1

Aldi have them for a dollar as well stay away from milk bars and servos

Advertisement