Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedtime routine change for 12 month old

Options
  • 04-07-2013 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Out 11 month old currently has a good bedtime routine which is:

- into a quiet, darkened room at 7.30pm where we read him a story gently and sing gently while walking with him in our arms.
    - Give him the bottle at about 7.50pm and he always falls asleep during that. He is asleep in the cot by 8pm.

Now with moving away from bottle feeds at 12 months old what should we do?

He is a very active boy and I can't see him just going off to sleep himself in the cot.

If there are times where he wont sleep on the bottle we end up wheeling him in the buggy which takes 20-30mins to get him to sleep at night.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Would you try a sippy cup with warmed cows milk? That's what I do for my son and it works for us.

We give it when we're reading a story on the sofa and then we bring him to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Why are you moving away from bottle feeds at 12 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

He can still have his bedtime bottle, even if its cows milk. I think the hse reccomendation is 1bottle a day for a one year old?
    If its not broken ....

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Why are u getting rid of bedtime bottle? Get rid of bottles during day but bedtime bottle ok for another year I would think. I only stopped my three on bottles at night when they moved into beds at over two years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Yeah my 16 month old still getting bottle at night / falls asleep drinking it - it's def staying for us for a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

sames as that, my 15 month old daughter still gets bottle before bed and 9 times out of 10 will fall asleep having it. Its her routine and she always asks for it around half 7, its also how we are sure shes tired enough for bed

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Thanks for all the replies. I just assumed he wouldn't be getting any bottle once off the formula milk.

But as he will be having cows milk I think we will definitely be giving him some as usual for the nighttime routine as it works for him and us!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My 19 month old still takes a 200ml bottle of cow's milk before bed. She doesn't fall asleep on it, but it helps her wind down before storytime and sleep. She likes it and it doesn't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Just stick with what works for both of you. My fella is 11 months too and at some point in past month he stopped taking the bottle in the cot, we give it to him before bed.

He's on three bottles a day (cows milk) and I can see him being on at least 2 for a good while after his 1st birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Mink wrote: »
    Just stick with what works for both of you. My fella is 11 months too and at some point in past month he stopped taking the bottle in the cot, we give it to him before bed.

He's on three bottles a day (cows milk) and I can see him being on at least 2 for a good while after his 1st birthday.

My 16 month old gets a bottle before lunchtime nap and one before bed. Part of her routine so I don't think she would sleep easily if we took it away - so yeah if not broken dont fix it :)
    My only issue is we brush her teeth before her bottle as she's asleep during it - can't imagine that's good for her teeth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

my little man (only 11 months, so still on formula) falls asleep with his bottle too, im so worried about his teeth aswell, it is supposed to be a no no to let them fall asleep whilst drinking, but he kind of is dependent on it too like so many other babies here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mine stopped bottles at about 15 months.
    I would give the a night time bottle then up to bed with their music on and that was it.
    I never gave cows milk in bottles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

dublinlady wrote: »
    My 16 month old gets a bottle before lunchtime nap and one before bed. Part of her routine so I don't think she would sleep easily if we took it away - so yeah if not broken dont fix it :)
    My only issue is we brush her teeth before her bottle as she's asleep during it - can't imagine that's good for her teeth!

We had same concern as he used to ALWAYS take the rest of his bottle lying down in his cot & then be all sleepy. Then he suddenly decided that he didn't want it in his cot. So we brush his teeth after the bottle before bed.

You do what you have to

Advertisement