Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[2013] Places to Stay in Dublin for Young Professional

Options
  • 04-07-2013 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I will be moving to Dublin for work in September 2013. Likely to be there for at least 2 years. My office will be located at Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2. Any good suggestions for safe, reasonably priced accommodation with easy access to public transport and amenities like supermarkets, nightlife, etc? Much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Hi, I will be moving to Dublin for work in September 2013. Likely to be there for at least 2 years. My office will be located at Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2. Any good suggestions for safe, reasonably priced accommodation with easy access to public transport and amenities like supermarkets, nightlife, etc? Much appreciated!

Ranelagh, Rathmines, Portobello, or Grand Canal Dock

Anywhere on the Grand Canal up until you get to Harolds Cross bridge really

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

If you have a car consider places on the Green luas line - Milltown, Dundrum. You are more likely to have parking included in your rent as you go further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 migrate2dublin

waldo wrote: »
    If you have a car consider places on the Green luas line - Milltown, Dundrum. You are more likely to have parking included in your rent as you go further out.

Will most likely be relying on public transport or walking until I get a better acquainted with Dublin. Have read that the LUAS green line is reliable?

Have checked out places to rent on Daft.ie surrounding Ranelagh, Rathmines, South Circular, Ballbridge and Donnybrook. Noticed that most of the flats (ranging €600-900) in Ranelagh and Rathmines tend to look old, cramp. The last three places appear to be farther away and not so ideal for walking to the office at Earlsfort Terrace. But I may be wrong.

Am thinking to perhaps take up a costlier two bedroom flat first (ranging €1000-1200) then look for another flatmate to share the cost. At least I will be the one choosing my flatmate instead of looking for existing flat share. Is this a common practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not really, since it would be subletting.

1200 would be the norm for a decent place in any of the mentioned areas.

Will most likely be relying on public transport or walking until I get a better acquainted with Dublin. Have read that the LUAS green line is reliable?

Have checked out places to rent on Daft.ie surrounding Ranelagh, Rathmines, South Circular, Ballbridge and Donnybrook. Noticed that most of the flats (ranging €600-900) in Ranelagh and Rathmines tend to look old, cramp. The last three places appear to be farther away and not so ideal for walking to the office at Earlsfort Terrace. But I may be wrong.

Am thinking to perhaps take up a costlier two bedroom flat first (ranging €1000-1200) then look for another flatmate to share the cost. At least I will be the one choosing my flatmate instead of looking for existing flat share. Is this a common practice?

You are not goign to get anything decent for under e900 in mentioned places.. more like e1100-1200 for a decent 1br, if thats expensive to you then look at the prices in London and Sydney

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You are really in a premium real estate area so the cost will be high.Would you consider a house share? You should be able to get one walking distance of EFT for 500-600 pm.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You are really in a premium real estate area so the cost will be high.Would you consider a house share? You should be able to get one walking distance of EFT for 500-600 pm.

Yes that would be an option, preferably in newly developed areas as I've noticed that the older flats/apartments/houses for share tend to be more run down? So far Donnybrook rentals for sharing seems to be better maintained than Ranelagh or Rathmines but it's not walking distance.

lima wrote: »
    You are not goign to get anything decent for under e900 in mentioned places.. more like e1100-1200 for a decent 1br, if thats expensive to you then look at the prices in London and Sydney

Thanks for the reply but i think the comment about comparing it to other cities aren't exactly helpful. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yes that would be an option, preferably in newly developed areas as I've noticed that the older flats/apartments/houses for share tend to be more run down? So far Donnybrook rentals for sharing seems to be better maintained than Ranelagh or Rathmines but it's not walking distance.

Donnybrook? It would be 20 min walk to EFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Would you rent in Dublin 1. So where like Capel Street is just as safe as Rathmines. But generally a bit cheaper and less rough looking than some of the flat areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

As you will be here for 2 years I think that you should make sure that the accommodation you get at first is of good enough standard to not have to move again. Along the Luas Green line out to Dundrum would be fine. A one bed apartment in the Ranelagh/Milltown area would be in the 900 to 1000 range. However you could check out Daft etc for an apartment share of 2 bed which would be about 550/600 range. There are a lot of apartment complexes around Dundrum and with Dundrum Town Centre restaurants, bars cinema there would be no need to go to the city centre unless you really need to

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Welcome to the green dot ;)

Spent my 3 years in Earlsfort Terrace and lived in Dundrum. Loved it, nice leafy neighbourhood, 20mns from work on the luas, loads of everything you'd need around. OF the people I met there, most lived Dundrum, Milltown and Harolds Cross. In particular Mount St.Anne's in Milltown and Mount Argos in HC were two estates which are dominated by Young Professionals.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Welcome to the green dot ;)

Spent my 3 years in Earlsfort Terrace and lived in Dundrum. Loved it, nice leafy neighbourhood, 20mns from work on the luas, loads of everything you'd need around. OF the people I met there, most lived Dundrum, Milltown and Harolds Cross. In particular Mount St.Anne's in Milltown and Mount Argos in HC were two estates which are dominated by Young Professionals.

First off, thanks for the reply.

Just wondering for those places you mentioned, will it be safe to travel on foot/LUAS/buses if I'm out late in the city most days? Is public transportation also reliable? was thinking working and socializing will also be done in the city most of the time so would like a safe place to travel back and forth.

So far the average prices in dundrum is comparable to the more upscale places in ranelagh/rathmines. so was thinking if I'm paying in the range of €1200 then might as well choose one which is walking distance then I'll be able to save on transport and travel time, again provided it is safe enough. Am also quite drawn to the fact that there are large supermarkets in Ranelagh/Rathmines area.

Appreciate your further thoughts..thanks again.

P/s: what is green dot? are you referring to ireland? Yes am looking forward to the move! Have not been to the country.

Thanks for the reply but i think the comment about comparing it to other cities aren't exactly helpful. :)

The point was that thinking about this would give you perspective and make you realize (if you haven't already) that Dublin is a EU Capital city and as such it demands rents that are perhaps more than you have though about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

First off, thanks for the reply.

Just wondering for those places you mentioned, will it be safe to travel on foot/LUAS/buses if I'm out late in the city most days? Is public transportation also reliable? was thinking working and socializing will also be done in the city most of the time so would like a safe place to travel back and forth.

So far the average prices in dundrum is comparable to the more upscale places in ranelagh/rathmines. so was thinking if I'm paying in the range of €1200 then might as well choose one which is walking distance then I'll be able to save on transport and travel time, again provided it is safe enough. Am also quite drawn to the fact that there are large supermarkets in Ranelagh/Rathmines area.

Appreciate your further thoughts..thanks again.

P/s: what is green dot? are you referring to ireland? Yes am looking forward to the move! Have not been to the country.

The "Green Dot" is Delotite's tag line, presume you were joining them if you're working on Earlsfort Terrace for a few years.

Public transport to Dundrum is the best in Ireland, 20 mns on luas (commuter tram) every 3mns at peak hours, uptill bout 12.30 each night, taxi probably €12.

When I was there (bout 3 years ago), it was definitely cheaper to live in Dundrum than Ranelagh/Rathmines, not sure if that's changed. The standard of houses/apartments tends to be a lot more modern out in Dundrum, than Ranelagh/Rathmines. There's a lot more space too, be it for parking a car, going for a jog etc.

Ranelagh will save you money on commuting for sure. Think a monthly pass on the luas works out about €80 so factor that in I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are stories of 10 people looking at the same place in Dublin correct? I know the OP is looking for flats but does the same go for shared houses?

• Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

. The standard of houses/apartments tends to be a lot more modern out in Dundrum, than Ranelagh/Rathmines. There's a lot more space too, be it for parking a car, going for a jog etc.

Yea, because most apartments in Dundrum are purpose built apartments whereas most apartments in Ranelagh / Rathmines are large, old houses converted in to apartments.

You are talking 1300 a month for the modern apartments in the Dundrum area.
    ryanf1 wrote: »
    Are stories of 10 people looking at the same place in Dublin correct? I know the OP is looking for flats but does the same go for shared houses?

Went to view an apartment in Sandyford last week and there were 5 other people viewing at the same time as me.

Demand for rented property is very high in the south dublin area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Bluegrass1

Ranelagh will save you money on commuting for sure. Think a monthly pass on the luas works out about €80 so factor that in I suppose

Ranelagh is walking distance from Earlsfort terrace.By the time most residents of ranelagh would walk from home to the nearest Luas Station and from the nearest luas station to work they would have walked to Earlsfort Terrace give or take a few hundred metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 garlicmayo

Hi,

I have a double room to rent in Blackrock, on the dart line. 600 per month plus bills and sole use of the master bathroom. If you are interested, drop me a PM and I will send you on the link for the apartment.

Cheers

Advertisement