Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Info on 3 Wheeled Scooter

• 04-07-2013 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello all I am looking for info on three wheeled scooters pros & cons.

Also any details or experiences would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I renamed your topic to get rid of the all caps

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

For what use OP?

22726_Sinclair-C5_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Do you mean a three wheel mobility scooter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 niall100

No its an actual Scooter with three wheels and a roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That looks like a Palmo T150.

Here's one for sale

http://www.donedeal.ie/scooters-for-sale/palmo-t150/5251354

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/palmo_t150_2009.php

They are scrap though.

• Advertisement

Oh ya why do you say that?

It looks quite good and safe compared to two wheeled scooter.

Has anyone had any experience with the Palamo scooter with three wheels?

I am very close to buying one and would like to know the pros/cons.

moved to motorbikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

What do you want to do with the scooter op? Commuting?

Those look slow and not very agile in traffic which is the point of a scooter. Also not sure what license these category they fall under since a trike requires a car license to use.

The only 3 wheel scooter I'd have is the piaggio one, but personally I'm not a modern scooter fan at all, classic all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

colm_c wrote: »

The only 3 wheel scooter I'd have is the piaggio one, but personally I'm not a modern scooter fan at all, classic all the way.

+1 Honda 50 ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Looks more dangerous to me - not safer.

Imagine any type of crosswind catching that canopy - it's hard enough to keep a small bike upright in a cross wind, never mind one with a parachute on top.

what is the purpose behind buying it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I very much doubt the canopy offers anything more then rain protection, and impaired vision. Heavy yoke too.. 10hp and 160kg? hope theres no hills on your journey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I wouldn't buy anything that's not from a mainstream manufacturer - I don't know the Palmo, but it looks Chinese to me. If it is, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. All based on my brief experience of Chinese bike quality (sic) and parts availability (just plain sic(k) )

If you want a 3-wheeler, buy the Piaggio one, or wait a while and buy Yamaha's new one.

The Palmo is marketed more as a disability scooter iirc, and with that engine and that weight, would be a liability on Irish roads. If you look at the wheel diameters you'll see they're small (10" on the rear). I've been driving my 10" wheeled scooter all week, and it's a good job I'm not competing with traffic.......

Piaggio info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_MP3

Bear one thing in mind with the Palmo: you will ALWAYS hit the pothole you see to avoid: you will aim to miss it with the front wheel, and depending on which side of it you go, one of the rear wheels WILL go into it. Btdt, have the t-shirt. Not so the Piaggio type.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭stephen97

niall100 wrote: »
    Hello all I am looking for info on three wheeled scooters pros & cons.

Also any details or experiences would greatly appreciate any help with this.
    the old bmw c180 with the roof was only a two wheeler, but law said you need to wear a helmet, even though it had a roof and seatbelt, so i think its the same for your trike, theres one in white colour always parked on clarendon street, dublin 2, i think it belongs to restaurant, but you could ask the guy about his experience of it, personally id prefer the piaggio model too, but i like 2 wheels too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

colm_c wrote: »
    What do you want to do with the scooter op? Commuting?

Those look slow and not very agile in traffic which is the point of a scooter. Also not sure what license these category they fall under since a trike requires a car license to use.

It's an A licence for a trike since January 2013, size of trike determines which category of A licence you need.

chasm wrote: »
    It's an A licence for a trike since January 2013, size of trike determines which category of A licence you need.
    i think it might be covered by the b category, according to bikeworld

stephen97 wrote: »
    i think it might be covered by the b category, according to bikeworld

It changed this year. Trikes are licence category A vehicles now.

The RSA website states:
    Tricycle: Where a person had an entitlement to the category B full licence prior to 19 January 2013 that also covered them to ride tricycles. They still retain that entitlement. All first full Licences issued for the category B from 19 January 2013 would not have this entitlement and therefore they must take out the appropriate Bike category to ride a trike. The appropriate bike category will depend on the CC of the Tricycle.

So, if you held a cat B licence prior to 19th January 2013 you can ride a trike on that licence, BUT if you passed your test after 19th January 2013 you have get a bike licence.

So we were both correct ;)

Anyways, apologies to all for going OT.

stephen97 wrote: »
    the old bmw c180 with the roof was only a two wheeler, but law said you need to wear a helmet, even though it had a roof and seatbelt, so i think its the same for your trike, theres one in white colour always parked on clarendon street, dublin 2, i think it belongs to restaurant, but you could ask the guy about his experience of it, personally id prefer the piaggio model too, but i like 2 wheels too much

One criticism of those was the engine size: way too small for the weight it had to shove around.

Pat Kenny used to ride one.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    One criticism of those was the engine size: way too small for the weight it had to shove around.

Pat Kenny used to ride one.
    i should have known he had one
    after all he led a very sheltered life :)

EURO TRIKE 150

WWW.EUROTRIKE150.COM

• Advertisement

EURO TRIKE 150

WWW.EUROTRIKE150.COM

Too slow with only 65 kph capability and rear wheels too small. I'd say suspension is minimal. ...looks Chinese to me so as they say on Dragons Den. .."I'm out"....

Ode To The Motorist

EURO TRIKE 150

WWW.EUROTRIKE150.COM

Looks like a mobility scooter with a roof lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

I'd rather have a Renault Twizy than one of them:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

think id rather be on my 2 wheeled roofless motorbike for a 65km/h spill than that

EURO TRIKE 150

WWW.EUROTRIKE150.COM

There's one of them parked outside downes and Howard on the mill road usually with leaflets and contact details.

Advertisement