Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get watering

• 04-07-2013 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

The forecast for the coming week is for hot hot hot...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=199

General advise would be to water anything that will need it 'before' it needs it. And water once and deeply so it soaks down. Plants will respond better to drought this way and send their roots down. Watering during hot conditions can be wasteful and waiting for crops/plants to show signs of going short can often mean you waited too long and damage could already be done. If you have grass clippings use them to mulch over watered beds to conserve the water.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

redser7 wrote: »

General advise would be to water anything that will need it 'before' it needs it. And water once and deeply so it soaks down. Plants will respond better to drought this way and send their roots down. Watering during hot conditions can be wasteful and waiting for crops/plants to show signs of going short can often mean you waited too long and damage could already be done. If you have grass clippings use them to mulch over watered beds to conserve the water.

Also dont water in the height of the sun and the day,as it can be dammaging to plants and burn them.I also water the soil around the plants and not just the plants.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

I have some potted shrubs and hedges that I bought last week to plant. I had planned on doing it over the weekend . Is that now a bad idea :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Ah no, I guess it's more for stuff in the ground. Potted stuff needs regular watering anyway. But more so during hot weather. So keep an eye on them and learn to feel the weight of them when watered and when dry. Depending on what it is they might need watering every day. The bigger the pot or basket the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ah no, I guess it's more for stuff in the ground. Potted stuff needs regular watering anyway. But more so during hot weather. So keep an eye on them and learn to feel the weight of them when watered and when dry. Depending on what it is they might need watering every day. The bigger the pot or basket the better.

I will be planting them though

Very true.:)

Im regulary out watering the large potted hollyball trees.

Even on a wet/rainy day they get feck all water,due to the shadow/inprint of the house and porch.

Plants (whether in the ground or in pots) close to the wall of any structure will allways need regular watering,for this very reason.

I stick my finger into the soil do a depth of around 30-40mm.

If the soil is dry-ish then its time to water.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    I will be planting them though

Just give them a good deep watering as you would anyway to settle the roots in. Try mulch over the soil if possible. They'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with all the above - the worst thing you can do is give a little sprinkle of water so the ground looks wet - complete waste of time and actually more damaging than leaving them alone. Forget the sprinkler-rose, give them a good drink.

If you are planting stuff, soak the pot before planting (stand it in water) and pour a good half gallon or so into the hole before planting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Hey guys - hopefully can give me some advice - I've heard and read (including on this thread) contrasting opinions as to whether it is damaging to grass etc to water during this kind of heat.

There is an opinion that the water evaporates too quickly off the leaf in this weather to have any 'lensing' effect do any damage?
    Would any of you have anything further on this?

Thanks in advance.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Hey guys - hopefully can give me some advice - I've heard and read (including on this thread) contrasting opinions as to whether it is damaging to grass etc to water during this kind of heat.

There is an opinion that the water evaporates too quickly off the leaf in this weather to have any 'lensing' effect do any damage?
    Would any of you have anything further on this?

Thanks in advance.

Best to water in the evening when the heat of the day has passed and the strength has gone out of the sun.

Dumping water directly onto a plant in the strong sunlight can not only burn a plant but also bring on mildew in some cases.

Water at the base around the plant and grass....try to give the actual soil a right good soaking.

Some grasses dont need too much water,as they are more suited to dryer soils.

I've read both opinions too and it seems theories change over time. Like mulching your lawn used to be bad, now it's considered good. One thing for sure, light watering is bad. It encourages all plants to be shallow rooted and when the soil dries out they can't access water deep down. As paddy says, if you are to water, don't do it when the sun is up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hi guys,

In this kind of weather should you give the veg garden a good watering every day? Is it possible to over water? Iv been watering them every evening, but I don't think iv been watering them enough for fear of drowning them :/

Sp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭amandstu

I have heard the advice about watering in direct sunlight.I have often (=whenever convenient) broken that rule as there has never been an occasion where I thought "now look what I have done I have damaged the plants !-even though I have looked for direct evidence that it was harmful).

I came to the provisional conclusion that they (the books) were refering to sprinkler watering over an extended period in direct sunlight (something I have never done )

By the way is it the heat pure and simple that is putting spinach plants at risk of bolting or is it dry soil -or both?

Will my use of agricultural fleece which I lay over them be beneficial (keep things a bit cooler underneath ) or is this heat just going to do for my Swiss Chard no matter what?

30 degrees C today and tomorrow folks.

Saturday and Sunday,its to tail back to a "mere" 24-25 degrees C.

No propper rain in sight for at least 1 more week.

Advertisement