Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West Footwear Question

Options
  • 04-07-2013 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Doing the Gaelforce West next month for the first time so Im now getting everything together that I need to make it go smoothly. Im using my old road bike with Gatorskin Tyres but rather than fit standard pedals or use my road shoes I was toying with fitting MTB spd pedals. I was then going to buy these shoes

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=55369

Has anyone done gaelforce before this way, or used mtb spd shoes and tell me if Id still have the movement/traction to go up Croagh Patrick wearing them?

The only down side I can see is having to carry my runners on my back once I get to the bike but if mtb shoes are too heavy it could be a nightmare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The cycling is relatively (for a given understanding of relative!) flat apart from one hard road climb in the Shreffries, there are 4 transitions where you would have to change shoes so many folk choose to wear a pair of trail shoes all day, not change shoes and use toe clips.
    The race finishes with a short messy run and there's a short section on the bike where it gets very rough and you might be better running, both of which add to the notion of wearing the runners on the bike.
    Enduro attempted to wear SPDs on an IMRA hillrun and got one of his few injuries and also concluded they didn't really work for running (open to correction obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Peterx wrote: »
    Enduro attempted to wear SPDs on an IMRA hillrun and got one of his few injuries and also concluded they didn't really work for running (open to correction obviously)

Yup, it's a dangerous game. Unless you're a very experienced runner I'd say its a bad idea. Walking, or even marching, using walking boot style SPDs is grand. But running (particularly high impact downhill running) increases the potential for picking up injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Yeah, I used trail shoes the whole way with flat pedals and toe clips also and I'd do that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bohoman

I wore salmon speedcross 2 trail shoes, great shoe, then had Specialized Tahoe spd shoes (very easy to walk in)

But spd's would be no good on CP....keep to the trail shoes.....

with shamino 324 pedals(these are 50/50 pedals) which ment that when you come down of CP you can keep your trail shoes on, there is really rough part after CP (on the bike) that you may need to get off your bike, you shouldn't need cycling shoes after CP as it is mostly down hill... Hope this helps, good luck

Advertisement