Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom - next generation cheaper than standard DSL??

• 04-07-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I have a broadband package with eircom, set up a couple of years ago, doesn't include line rental or any calls. So I saw on their website that they are advertising packages including both of these for much cheaper than what my bill is working out at the moment.
    I log in to the eircom website, and it tells me that I can have package X ("advanced", 30GB limit, off peak calls and 30 mins to mobiles included as well as line rental included all for 45 per month (30 for the first 6 months)). But when I click to avail of this offer it tells me I need to ring their customer representative.
    So I rang their customer representative and she (finally) informed me that I wasn't eligible for this package because I didn't have next generation broadband in my area. The best package she could offer me was the same thing (call package and line rental) for 60 euro per month!!!! (Something along the lines of the homestarter package or some such). She could not explain to me how it was more expensive simply because I have a poorer broadband service in my area. (She couldn't really have cared less tbh!)

Does anybody know is this definitely right - and is there anything I can do?! How can they be charging extra because I have a worse service??!! I told her I was switching to vodafone and she didn't seem too bothered. I am not even sure whether the deals on the vodafone site will apply to me now, or if they have the same restrictions....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That sounds right. Ngb areas always got better deals.
    Maybe they have less competition in non ngb areas or it costs them more to provide it, either way you should vote with your feet if you're not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 middling

Thanks for that - I don't know what is more annoying, the fact that I have to pay more to get less, or their attitude! Am most likely going to switch to vodafone, but hate them for other reasons so not looking forward to that either!

Advertisement