Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance payments

Options
  • 04-07-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this and if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

I am a single father of 1, and I broke up with the mother after six months from the time she was born. I have always paid maintenance for my daughter. When we first broke up I was paying €150 euro a week and had my daughter from Friday after work and dropped her home Tuesday morning. Unfortunately I paid her in cash which I know is stupid. This continued for months until I copped on and reduced it to €100 a week.

In November of 2009 I lost my job and had to sign on the dole. I applied for back to education allowance and returned to college. I continued to pay maintenance but reduced it to €50 per week, and again had my daughter every weekend and collected her every morning and dropped her to pre-school.

In March of this year I found employment. For the first couple of months I found that I was paying €50 a week and had my daughter over 60% of the time, which diaries will prove. The child’s mother had found somebody new a couple of months before Christmas and had moved into his mother’s house and moved out of the apartment I had organized for her to stay (paid her deposit and months up front, had to apply for a loan). I found that I was paying for everything, school uniform, books, clothes and dance classes so I decided to stop the maintenance payments. This has not gone well. The mother has threatened to bring me to court and not see my daughter until I start paying again. I feel like I shouldn't have to, given the amount of expenses I have for the child and the amount of time I have her.

Should I just swallow my pride and start paying maintenance again or do I have a case, or should I just go to court and sort it out. If I go to court I am terrified I will get to see my daughter less than what I already do.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would ask her for a list of the expenses so that you can work out a suitable amount.
    You also make a lsit of your expenses for the child.
    Add in child benefit and then work out the rest based on how many days you each have her,is it 50% 50%?
    Then there are the occasional expenses like books and uniforms for work out.
    Maybe talk to a solicitor,keep a record of any threats shemakes against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

Have you applied for (or have already) guardianship?

Advertisement