Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inside leg

• 04-07-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,
    just wondering about inside leg, have been trying to push horse on to keep him from falling in. Have been trying to keep leg on inside girth but finding it difficult to do - any tips or exercises to help with strenghtening my inside leg?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

adamant3 wrote: »
    Hi,
    just wondering about inside leg, have been trying to push horse on to keep him from falling in. Have been trying to keep leg on inside girth but finding it difficult to do - any tips or exercises to help with strenghtening my inside leg?:confused:

What' type of a horse are you riding how often do u ride ? And how many years of experience do u have
    Do u get lessons or just do your own thing ?

A bit more info and then we csn gauge where you are at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Do you keep the inside leg on or only use it when he goes to fall in?
    As said above, little bit more detail might be useful. Do you do any other exercise which might alter leg muscles? I know a few exercises but I don't know what stage you are at. It could be down to balance issues as well as strength if you're not overly experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 adamant3

Riding a 15.2 cob, he is 8 years old but doesnt seem to have that much schooling done with him. Had ridden for about 10 years and gave up in teenage years just back riding a couple of months after 5 years out of the saddle. I ride 4 times a week, I ride for leisure its a hobby, dont see myself competing or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Ah yes, cobs... With them, they have to know that the person on top is boss. I ride a cob now who used to fall in, turn to the middle and stop dead when he had a new rider on him. :D
    Assuming there's no physical injury that would make him dislike going in a straight line, this is usually sorted with work and sternness. When going from one end of the arena to the other, think "We are going this way, and this way alone". Don't keep your leg on him as they become desensitized. Instead, make sure you have a whip on you and keep it on his shoulder. Don't be afraid to use it, when necessary. Keep your reins short and even. Also, don't forget to reward by rein release or a pat. Making corridors from poles I find, also helps keep a horse straight and concentrating. Make sure your stirrups are even and that you aren't leaning to one side that might cause him to fall in too.
    For a stronger leg, I gave this to one girl I taught and it helped quite a bit. Sit on a chair with strong elastic around one leg. Put the other end of the elastic around your ankle and pull in as far as you can, hold for 5 seconds and repeat. Do the same with the other leg.
    One of those exercise balls you find in gyms also work. If you sit on it, then squeeze your legs together and hold and repeat.
    Building your core muscles will also help.

Advertisement