Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

another car insurance thread

• 04-07-2013 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Up for renewal this week. Quote for 6 years + no claims, full licence 18 years, quoted at 645. Same company (axa) originally had me at 460e per year when I joined in 2010

I stated I wasnt going to continue due to the very high price quoted, straighta away the operator says 480?

Perhaps still a little dear and will ring around but seems to highlight there is no real logic in their quotes at all, not just axa - all companies

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

not just axa - all companies

it's a must, every year...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Up for renewal this week. Quote for 6 years + no claims, full licence 18 years, quoted at 645. Same company (axa) originally had me at 460e per year when I joined in 2010

I stated I wasnt going to continue due to the very high price quoted, straighta away the operator says 480?

Perhaps still a little dear and will ring around but seems to highlight there is no real logic in their quotes at all, not just axa - all companies

There's a perfect logic. They ask a price, if you pay fine. If you compare and ask for a discount they may match. In finance, it's known as a free option. An imperfect one as some people will take the lowest quote and not seek a match but hey ho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Consider the initial price the premium that you pay for not ringing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

That makes sense to a certain degree. All I said on the phone was -"that is very dear I will try elsewhere."

Hadn't actually rang around at that point and the operator just said 480?

Anyway, I just rang liberty and they can't insure me as the car is too old so ill more than likely have to stick with Axa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Axa did this to me in similar-ish circumstances, full license 5 years ncb and the quote almost doubled?

Hasn't happened since with my current insurer (3 years) small decrease every year.

Suppose all you can do is shop around, every year, as another poster mentioned.

• Advertisement

FBD wont inusre full comp as car too old, 3rd party with them is either 370 or 465 with windscreen , breakdown and no claims protection

Not comfortable with 3rd party to be honest

Can understand companies unwilling to insure, however, car passes NCT first time each year, not even a scratch on it etc.

What kind of car is it and where are you located?

520i e34, based in dublin

Can understand companies unwilling to insure, however, car passes NCT first time each year, not even a scratch on it etc.

because, they find it easier to access the PAV of a modern car in the event of a claim, its harder on older 10 year old + car ........it's just their process's really..........another option for you OP, is to get a good broker to do the doneky work for you, ring them, tell them your quandry with all your details, and let them price round for you and get you the best deal.

Seems a shame, FBD are really good to deal with, very good phone operatives...from my experience anyway. I sometimes am taken back by how bad some of the insurance companies are to deal with - in most cases your basically giving them a few 100's for sweet FA.

Its also a shame that, going on what your saying, you must look after the car well. Unfortuneatly they wont threat your car on an individual basis.

• Advertisement

520i e34, based in dublin

I'd normally recommend 123 for anyone with the relevant experience if it's under a 2L as they are by far the most competitive. I think your best bet is Chill or Liberty. Probably Chill though, I'd say if you have a partner/spouse to put on it as well they'll stick you with Zurich as you're exactly their type of risk appetite. When you get the quote post what benefits you're getting along with the excess so I'll let you know you're not being shafted.

I found the woman on the phone from FBD very helpful as you say, so were liberty and AXA too, to be fair

but if you have a claim with FBD, they're a DISASTER! Terrible customer service.
    They are all nice and smiley when they want your cash!

sounds like everyone I have ever met in my life..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I've been with Allianz via Glennon's for years now and only Allianz Direct have come close to beating them. When Allianz Direct quoted me €180 less than the renewal quote from Glennon's last time around, Glennon's immediately dropped their rate to match.

Car is a '99 VW Passat TDI chipped to 138 bhp and I'm insured fully comp for €490. 9 years NCB.

They're worth a call IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Hi Bobin - send me an oul mail when you back online.. see if we cant get ya sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

same was with me.
    on renewal I'm getting higher price than to buy the new one with same details..
    no logic.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    but if you have a claim with FBD, they're a DISASTER! Terrible customer service.
    They are all nice and smiley when they want your cash!

Mental note to self - "don't have accident." :)

If they are dodgy in the above event I wont hesitate leaving them and letting them know why.

Was on the phone to axa , CPLwhisper, and have been offered a very good offer which I was more than happy to accept. Happy with that as was also finding it hard to get insurance from other companies for fully comp

thanks again

Advertisement