Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers in Ballina

Options
  • 04-07-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Are there any butchers that make their own sausages in the town?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

That is a really good question.

Kevin Moran advertises his award wining sausages on the street sign outside his shop. I can't definitely say if he makes them himself though.

I know Quinns butchers did make their own sausages and I am not sure if they still do. I regularly buy rashers and sausages here and they are better than the prepacked dross but not sure if they are made by Donal.

I know the guy that did the seaweed sausages in Westport had them made by Loughnanes in Galway.

I suspect that none are made by the butchers. This is probably down to dept. of agriculture and food safety regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

That's surprising, seeing how mince can be made in front of you - how are sausages that different?

Sausages are made from meat, fat and fillers and then put into a casing. The ratios vary from producer to producer.

As far as the department of agriculture/HSE are concerned certain standards have to be met to produce sausages safely i.e. proper storage and separation of ingredients, equipment, record keeping (cleaning, production, tracability, waste etc.). For the butchers a significant investment is needed to do this and the return is just not worth it.

I know Donal Quinn had to stop producing ham. Initially he sold it lose and you could buy as many slices as you wanted. Then he had to sell it in vacuum packs. Eventually he was forced to stop selling t his due to the HSE regs.

I know many American visitors down through the years would stock up on rashers and sausages and ham in Quinns butchers before heading back to the states. That was because he had good stuff. Alas, those days are gone as there are restrictions in place prohibiting these foodstuffs being carried into the USA.

I am keen to find out if there are any butchers making there own sausages in town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

Kevin Moran make their own sausages, they also make their own spicy ones and gluten free ones.

Does/will he make them in front of you?

• Advertisement

Not sure about that.....he is an obliging chap an perhaps if you ask he may give you a goo.

Though the mix of meat, fat and filler is a closely guarded secret and this he may wish to keep under wraps in fear of it being leaked! Intellectual property and all that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Kevin Moran def does.

Any definitive update on this? Which make their own and which don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

finisklin wrote: »
    Any definitive update on this? Which make their own and which don't?

100% sure Kevin Morans make their own and have won awards for them. Pop in and have a chat with them about them, they are very helpful in there. :)

I'll try at some point, haven't had a chance to go chasing the sausages down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    Kevin Moran def does.

And again ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement