Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allsop Property Auction Cancelled, amid organised protests

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

araic88 wrote: »
    Is there any way of seeing what prices the properties went for in the online bid?

Unless they publicise them- which they normally do- no (with the exception of the residential properties- which will pop up on the register in due course).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

That Beades fecker is at it again.

Firesale of commercial property but being disrupted by a former developer shouting about "protecting the family home". Did he own the hotel by any chance?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

gaius c wrote: »
    That Beades fecker is at it again.

Firesale of commercial property but being disrupted by a former developer shouting about "protecting the family home". Did he own the hotel by any chance?
    The most amusing thing about the organisation of that protest was Occupy Galway taking instruction from a former member of the FF national executive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I really can't understand how these morons are being allowed to disrupt these auctions. Failed business men, looking for a handout from the public now that they can't get what the want from the donkeys in the FF Galway races tent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Apparently 4 properties to be auctioned by DNG in Galway today were withdrawn to mollify Beades & Co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its gas how Mattie appears at all these........

washman3 wrote: »
    The only people living on the streets in this country were living on them long before any Allsop auction. Are Jerry Beades and Tom Darcy living on the streets? sure their old friend Bertie could always put them up.;)
    And that Gilroy dude is definitely not living on the street. He is living in a big house that he hasn't made a repayment on in 2 years.

Seems that Beades is A-OK with eviction as long as it's one of those scummy renters. Taken from the Pin.
    A Dalkey housewife “and her associates” forcibly removed a couple from the house they had rented from her in what the tenants described as a “horrendous and frightening” experience, the High Court heard yesterday.
    Mr Justice Paul McDermott has been asked by bank receivers Liam Dowdall and Sean McNamara for injunctions restraining Joan O’Connor, Pinehaven, Dalkey Avenue, Dalkey, Co Dublin, and her husband, Pat O’Connor, of Ballymore Lane, Craughwell, Co Galway, from obstructing their activities.
    <snip>
    Joan O’Connor, who was not legally represented, was advised in court by former developer Jerry Beades, who was allowed by the judge to act as her “McKenzie Friend” – a person who sits beside an unrepresented litigant and assists by taking notes and giving advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Astrid001

lima wrote: »
    They are deluded remnants of the boom

Repossessions need to happen in earnest before this country get's back to normal. So what if someone in the boom thought they could make a buck our of property and are now bitter.. tough luck.

lima. Yes it is wrong of these people who borrowed all of this money thinking that they would be able to pay it back. But, it's happened to a person very close to me. This person is the most caring, loving, generous, kind, soothing, selfless person I know. Please, take a minute and imagine how you would feel if it was your mum in this predicament, falling apart and suffering because they made a stupid mistake that they can never take back, though they wish they could. Believe me these borrowers are suffering the brunt of their mistakes. Don't judge everyone the same because it could have been you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Astrid001 wrote: »
    lima. Yes it is wrong of these people who borrowed all of this money thinking that they would be able to pay it back. But, it's happened to a person very close to me. This person is the most caring, loving, generous, kind, soothing, selfless person I know. Please, take a minute and imagine how you would feel if it was your mum in this predicament, falling apart and suffering because they made a stupid mistake that they can never take back, though they wish they could. Believe me these borrowers are suffering the brunt of their mistakes. Don't judge everyone the same because it could have been you.

You can help this person live without the stress of a massive debt burden.
    Ask them to voluntarily surrender the property to the bank and then cut a deal for the debt shortfall after the sale of the property.
    There are plenty of options for housing through private tenancies or state assistance.
    This person could then live in peace with a significantly reduced debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭khards

Tough, that's how capitalism works. You can't pay - you don't get.

Don't forget it's not their house they have just borrowed money so they can live in it.
    If you took out a loan on a car and couldn't pay for it would you expect to be able to keep it?

Repossessing thousands of houses will teach people an invaluable lesson - be very careful about borrowing money. It's a lesson the Irish people need to learn, bailing out everyone will just lead to no lessone being learnt.

the worst that can happen will be a little up heavel and renting a house?
    It's not the end of the world, just accept that they are are bankrupt, cant afford their debts and hand the house back to the institution that lent them the money.

If the bank had never lent them the money then they wouldn't have been able to live there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I had a look at the Allsop brochure for their next sale. Not a lot of interest, a mix of commercial and residential, mostly outside Dublin but maybe someone in the provincial towns will find premises of interest to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

They can surrender their property & rent. Tough luck. No sympathy. Understand that no-one cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

They can surrender their property & rent. Tough luck. No sympathy. Understand that no-one cares.

So sick of this Lima person's modern day "to hell or to Connacht" attitude . I too know people who through absolutely no fault if their own have fallen on hard times and now face financial hardship . Lina's let them die in the ditches attitude is nauseating - so you want everyone in financial difficulties with their mortgages in rental or local authority housing ?? You're probably a landlord, speculator or a FG acolyte or word still a banker or hurler on the ditch economist then ??
    Your persistent rant from the high moral ground is quite tiresome actually ! Would that you would offer some positive or constructive comment that doesn't include dumping people on to the welfare system ?? What about the banks - do you think they are totally justified in their actions ? Can they not make some efforts to appease the position of the genuinely hard put upon - we the taxpayer have baled them out after As a PAYE worker and not indebted to a mortgage , I have no axe to grind here but would accept that some of those in mortgage difficulties are in a position not of their own making , and I'm not talking about those who borrowed multiples of their earnings to accentuate their already greedy and inflated self worth and image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

So sick of this Lima person's modern day "to hell or to Connacht" attitude . I too know people who through absolutely no fault if their own have fallen on hard times and now face financial hardship . Lina's let them die in the ditches attitude is nauseating - so you want everyone in financial difficulties with their mortgages in rental or local authority housing ?? You're probably a landlord, speculator or a FG acolyte or word still a banker or hurler on the ditch economist then ??
    Your persistent rant from the high moral ground is quite tiresome actually ! Would that you would offer some positive or constructive comment that doesn't include dumping people on to the welfare system ?? What about the banks - do you think they are totally justified in their actions ? Can they not make some efforts to appease the position of the genuinely hard put upon - we the taxpayer have baled them out after As a PAYE worker and not indebted to a mortgage , I have no axe to grind here but would accept that some of those in mortgage difficulties are in a position not of their own making , and I'm not talking about those who borrowed multiples of their earnings to accentuate their already greedy and inflated self worth and image.

I'm sorry but yes. If you are in serious difficulty with your mortgage and by this I mean have not paid in 6 months + or are on such reduced payments that even the interest is not being met then you should not be still living in that house and need to surrender it. That is how the market works. If you stopped your repayments on a car it would be repossessed very quickly, why can you continue to live in an asset that is way beyond your reach? It screws with the housing market and really smacks of the entitlement culture in Ireland. If you can't afford it then I'm sorry you can't have it. The cause of your change of circumstances is irrelevant. Even though I have sympathy for these people that sympathy does not extend to them continuing to live in an asset they can no longer afford

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Would you take a minute to think of the family that is working, paying their bills and taxes, saving and living prudently who cannot find somewhere to live because the banks are allowing borrowers to remain on almost indefinitely? They're a kind and considerate bunch too, why shouldn't they get a home?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Through no fault of mine, my former landlord has decided to take back my home of 3 years so his son can live there, at one of the worst times to find a new lease in recent history. Why should someone who borrowed a massive sum of money that they can't now pay be in a better position than me?

I'll tell you why, because the government doesn't care about renters, just the precious land owning / money borrowing class. And to spit in my eye, even if I do find somewhere suitable long term at a rent I can afford, I will have lost the rental tax credits that I previously had because new tenancies do not get them.

It's somewhat strange that you assume someone unsympathetic to the plight of the reposessees is a landlord - far more likely they are a prudent person struggling to find somewhere half decent to live.

so you want everyone in financial difficulties with their mortgages in rental or local authority housing ??

Yes, Yes I do.

Oh your sense of entitlement disgusts me. Oh how 'awful' it would be to have to rent, oh my god what would the neighbours think about me having to rent, I'd be such a failure :rolleyes:

You seriously need to have a long think about what you believe in. How can you honestly think that you should be allowed stay in a property when you are simply not paying for it? Nothing is for free. Simply put - if you are not paying for something then it should be taken from you.

Do you not see that by people living in houses for free it is causing a huge restriction on the property market? I am of an age now (early 30's) where I am now looking to purchase a home to live in as I have the money and a great job (earned through nothing but hard work and frugal living) but I am being stopped by the fact that completely unrelated people got themselves into unrelated problems and are now refusing to get out of places that should have been repossessed and released onto the market years ago.

You seems baffled by my lack of sympathy with people who are causing me personal hardship through higher taxes and lack of a natural property market. Complete strangers, who willingly walked into banks and asked for loans. Unbelievable.

Yes, Yes I do.

Oh your sense of entitlement disgusts me. Oh how 'awful' it would be to have to rent, oh my god what would the neighbours think about me having to rent, I'd be such a failure :rolleyes:

You seriously need to have a long think about what you believe in. How can you honestly think that you should be allowed stay in a property when you are simply not paying for it? Nothing is for free. Simply put - if you are not paying for something then it should be taken from you.

Do you not see that by people living in houses for free it is causing a huge restriction on the property market? I am of an age now (early 30's) where I am now looking to purchase a home to live in as I have the money and a great job (earned through nothing but hard work and frugal living) but I am being stopped by the fact that completely unrelated people got themselves into unrelated problems and are now refusing to get out of places that should have been repossessed and released onto the market years ago.

You seems baffled by my lack of sympathy with people who are causing me personal hardship through higher taxes and lack of a natural property market. Complete strangers, who willingly walked into banks and asked for loans. Unbelievable.

It's your refusal to see anything other than black or white via a vis the current repayment problems of some genuine hardship cases that is so distasteful - no admission that there are genuine hats luck cases in this mess ! Sound like you hav a mighty big chip on your shoulder there pal ! Like it or not , life is never just a case of black or white. So ur a thirty something who feels that mortgage holders struggling to make ends meet (and possibly falling behind on their repayments through a downturn in their personal circumstance ) should be tuffet out of their homes to allow you buy cheaply ? How crass is that ?? I speak from the perspective of someone who has worked and payed taxes for longed than your thirty something years so I reckon I've been round the black a few times and have paid my fair share in taxes, so we are all paying for the greed of some , bankers, speculators and the careless borrowers.
    Your indiscriminate ire against all and sundry without knowing peoples personal circumstances is misplaced or do you live in a rarified "me fein" environment where the misfortune happening to people in the real world doesn't much matter to you as long as you get ur foot on the property ladder ??
    Selfish and immature attitude I"d say . I won't be responding to any more of your postings , it's pointless trying to argue a case against such blinkered and self righteous indignation !

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

It's your refusal to see anything other than black or white via a vis the current repayment problems of some genuine hardship cases that is so distasteful - no admission that there are genuine hats luck cases in this mess ! Sound like you hav a mighty big chip on your shoulder there pal ! Like it or not , life is never just a case of black or white. So ur a thirty something who feels that mortgage holders struggling to make ends meet (and possibly falling behind on their repayments through a downturn in their personal circumstance ) should be tuffet out of their homes to allow you buy cheaply ? How crass is that ?? I speak from the perspective of someone who has worked and payed taxes for longed than your thirty something years so I reckon I've been round the black a few times and have paid my fair share in taxes, so we are all paying for the greed of some , bankers, speculators and the careless borrowers.
    Your indiscriminate ire against all and sundry without knowing peoples personal circumstances is misplaced or do you live in a rarified "me fein" environment where the misfortune happening to people in the real world doesn't much matter to you as long as you get ur foot on the property ladder ??
    Selfish and immature attitude I"d say . I won't be responding to any more of your postings , it's pointless trying to argue a case against such blinkered and self righteous indignation !
    What do you think should happen to tenants who through no fault of their own can no longer afford their rent? Should they be forgiven their back rent and allowed to stay on indefinitely at zero rent? Or is your sympathy reserved for people with mortgages only?

No chip, and certainly not your pal.

You are a one-sided individual who can only see from the side that is full of self-entitlement.

You are older than thirty and you feel that renters and potential buyers should be blocked from buying homes just so that people who made bad investments can be put up in homes they are no longer paying for - how crass is that?

Tell me again - why can't any of these people give up their homes and rent? What is wrong with renting? Why should I pay for someone to live for free whilst costing me an opportunity to buy a house? How on earth do you think it's fair for someone to live for free in a house they are not paying for??

• Advertisement

Looks like Woodville is interested in Repossessed properties:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85827162

Allowing somebody to keep an asset AND debt they can't afford isn't doing them any favours really. Better to make a clean break and lose both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Lima, Woodville56 - go back to your respective corners please. If you can't have a civilised discussion then please ignore each other before you earn yourselves a break from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I'll wade in here with my 2cents (*if its safe*...lol). Even though I bought almost at the peak and my property is worth 45% of what I paid for it, I agree for the most part with Lima (sounds a lot worse than it is...recouped 20% of outlay via the rent a room scheme over 6 years and the loss making tracker danske were foolish enough to give me has got to be worth another 10-20%, didn't pay a cent in rent over that 6 years and although I overpaid, I can more than afford what I bought).

There's no way that people should be allowed to stay on in a property payment free. Where in the world has that happened? That's gombeen government interference in the market. It's been done for the professional classes - they are the ones that have gotten stung the hardest (through their complete greed). They are also the ones that are entangled the most with our politicians. I'm thinking particularly in terms of solicitors and barristers - but same applies to all the rest.

Practically nobody should be allowed to stay in a property (or retain a btl property) having withheld payment. However, I do think that bankruptcy should be relaxed further - in line with the UK.

As regards the irish and property, should we not simply go the way of the yanks - and make ALL mortgages non-recourse? Would this not pull down the price of property to what it *should* be? This ties in with what Lima refers to re. personal responsibility and all of that. However, he also says that the time is right for him to now own a property. Of course, many bought what they simply couldn't afford during the Tiger years. However, even otherwise frugal people bought simply because it was a time in their lives to make that first home purchase. Making all loans non-recourse would protect those people. In tandem with that, setting out government policy that banks are properly regulated and that banks are allowed to fail should deal with the other end of it.

That's the way I see it...

Looks like Woodville is interested in Repossessed properties:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85827162

Not anymore and never at the expense of turfing someone out if their home Lima !!

No chip, and certainly not your pal.

You are a one-sided individual who can only see from the side that is full of self-entitlement

You are older than thirty and you feel that renters and potential buyers should be blocked from buying homes just so that people who made bad investments can be put up in homes they are no longer paying for - how crass is that?

Tell me again - why can't any of these people give up their homes and rent? What is wrong with renting? Why should I pay for someone to live for free whilst costing me an opportunity to buy a house? How on earth do you think it's fair for someone to live for free in a house they are not paying for??

1 so I'm one sided in my arguments - and ur not - don't make me laugh !!

2 contrary to your opinion, buying a home isn't an investment opportunity for
    most , it's a life choice !

I will Make no further comment in this topic , seems like a right lynch mob following here !!

1 so I'm one sided in my arguments - and ur not - don't make me laugh !!

2 contrary to your opinion, buying a home isn't an investment opportunity for
    most , it's a life choice !

I will Make no further comment in this topic , seems like a right lynch mob following here !!

I am on the side of fairness, working to earn and being responsible for your own actions.

You are advocating people living for free at my and all the other taxpayers expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

You are older than thirty and you feel that renters and potential buyers should be blocked from buying homes just so that people who made bad investments can be put up in homes they are no longer paying for - how crass is that??

you don't get it Lima, no one is blocking you from buying a house. You didn't see value a couple of years ago when it was right in front of you, singing the same song, when the masses are turfed out Ill pick one up cheap etc. You failed utterly to see the big picture. The thread has been closed, move on. You need to let all that vitriol go, it is very unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

MouseTail wrote: »
    you don't get it Lima, no one is blocking you from buying a house. You didn't see value a couple of years ago when it was right in front of you, singing the same song, when the masses are turfed out Ill pick one up cheap etc. You failed utterly to see the big picture. The thread has been closed, move on. You need to let all that vitriol go, it is very unhealthy.

Of course he didn't see value years ago as there has been little genuine value in the Irish property market in 20 years. Sure if you want to buy outside Dublin now, you stand a chance of finding value if you look hard enough and haggle well/get lucky. But it's not really guaranteed as there are still so many things, like the enormous rates of rent allowance available to prop up the rental market, that make it very difficult to calculate actual value. The government is interfering hugely with the market by avoiding repossessions and keeping the floor of the rental market artificially high and this is being paid for by the taxpayer. So year on year more and more taxpayers are people who are paying higher taxes in order to keep the rent they pay higher than it should be and the house they should be able to buy out of their reach. It's financial buggery of the young and the prudent and the economic toll it will take on this country has the potential to be far more disastrous than anything that's happened so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The highly respected Peter Bacon had his reports on the Irish residential sector- which perceived a bubble to be forming as early as 1994, shelved- for political expediency. So- arguably, the bubble started fully 20 years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement