Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much time before you wake up do you set your alarm?

• 04-07-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

*** Title doesnt really make sense, but what i was trying to say was how much time before you are scheduled to wake up do you set your alarm for**

I have no idea why i do it but i set my alarm nearly 45 minutes before im scheduled to get up but it makes me feel like im having some sort of lie in by hitting snooze.

I'd say most people do this firstly how long do you snooze for and why do we do it?

Does anybody actually set their alarm and actually get up straight away.

Also if you have to wake up every day of your life, why does it never get any easier? as in the more you practise something generally you get better at it but not waking up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I set mine before I go to sleep. Saves getting up in the middle of the night to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How much time before you wake up do you set your alarm?

Approximately 8 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

this thread is alarming

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

syklops wrote: »
    Approximately 8 hours.
    That was meant to say when you have to get up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

just set the f**king alarm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I just set the alarm for when I have to get up, tbh my body normally wakes me up about 10-15 mins before I have to get up anway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

You might want to rephrase your title. I normally get up before the alarm goes off and failing that will get up immediately when it does go off. Really pisses me off when people use the snooze button.
    So feckin' inconsiderate, really irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

10 mins. Then it goes off 5 mins later and 5 again. Im usually up after the first one for a quick ****.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    You might want to rephrase your title. I normally get up before the alarm goes off and failing that will get up immediately when it does go off. Really pisses me off when people use the snooze button.
    How do you change the title, doesnt seem to give you an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

JP85 wrote: »
    That was meant to say when you have to get up!!

Ho do you set the alarm before you have to get up ? You wouldn't be up !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I set 7 alarms to go off at differently spaced intervals over the space of an hour and a half on both my phone AND my clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

i get up when the alarm sounds... i dont hit snooze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I usually wake up about 10-20 min before the alarm goes off. I really hate the sound of the alarm so I think my brain tries to preempt it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I usually set it for around 7 and then crawl out of bed around half 8.

Fools myself into thinking that I have a lie in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭ruthiepie

I usually set mine a half hour before I'm meant to get up. Press snooze twice, once the third alarm goes off, I know its time to get up!!

I really wish I could just get up when the alarm goes off but I don't seem to be able to. Snooze is meant to be worse for you too isn't it? It's meant to be much better for you just to get up when the alarm goes off rather than press snooze. Oh if only my brain would think that way in the mornings!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Exactly 24 hours early, I've yet to feel any benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

My radio goes off at 7:30 and I gradually wake up to get out of bed at 7:50 / 8. I also have my alarm going off every 10 minutes from 7:40, just in case I'm not waking up.

I heard of some great novel alarms though;

One which you set up with your credit card to make a donation (to a political party you don't like for example) every time you press the snooze button.
    One which requires you to solve a puzzle to turn it off.
    One which has several "off" switches which you have to dot around the room. Only one works each time, so you have to look around to get the alarm off.
    And one shaped like a football which you turn off by throwing it. I like the sound of that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

This is a good one too!
    http://gizmodo.com/270283/carpet-alarm-clock

I set mine for 8 and get up. Snoozing makes me feel worse most of the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Goes off at 6:45 and I'll usually get up when it does or 5-10 mins later (first snooze).

Showered, dressed, ready and out the door about 25 mins later. Parked up at the office by half 7. Home again just before 5 :)

Makes a big change to the 1.5 hour commute (each way) I used to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Balmed Out wrote: »

No, it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 focusvsastrata

I normal wake up about 5 minutes before my alarm is meant to go off in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Phone goes off at 7:35, desk alarm goes off at 7:50. I'll generally snooze the phone a couple of times and get up when the desk alarm goes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Get up at 10 to be in work for half 10. Alarm starts at half 9.. several snoozes later and I'm up .. just.

Judging by the sounds of it people most tend to get up after 10-15 mins after their alarm is set, ive to get the finger out, i like the idea of the novel alarms which makes it difficult to snooze!! I wonder if there are any apps that do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I wake up 10mins before my alarm goes off and get out of the bed about an hour after the alarm goes off...

JP85 wrote: »
    Judging by the sounds of it people most tend to get up after 10-15 mins after their alarm is set, ive to get the finger out, i like the idea of the novel alarms which makes it difficult to snooze!! I wonder if there are any apps that do this?

This is what you need:
    http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/creative-alarm-clocks/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

I used to have about seven or eight alarms spaced about three minutes apart to get me up. I would also be pressing snooze constantly which set an alarm off every minute or so. The sheer annoyance of the constant bell would eventually get me vertical . I live with someone now and apparently its very annoying so I have had to stop. Have not made it in to work on time since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

About 35-40 minutes. Alarm goes off at 6, I get up around 6.40.

When we both lived at home about 15 years ago, my brother used to be infuriating with the snooze button. Especially on Sunday mornings, he would hit it every 9 minutes for about 2 hours, having it blaring through the house, I think it was to annoy me into getting up and going to Mass! (He would have gone the evening before). It never worked, and usually resulted in me barging into his room and ripping the plug out of the wall, before going back to bed.

I use my phone as an alarm, with a line from Withnail; "Wake up you bastard, before I burn this bastard bed down" :D.

My god, most of these are genius, i love the helicopter style one especially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I get up when it goes off, I set it when I go to bed, about 6 hours before I get up... although I usually wake up just before it goes off.

Snooze must be the most useless function, don't get it at all. Why would anyone use it? If you are not going to get up when the alarm goes off, then set your alarm for a later time. This way you will get a longer uninterrupted sleep instead of having something buzzing every 9 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

I'm probably a bit odd (well ok I am odd but that's for another day) in that I have never used the snooze function or had a lie in. Weekdays I'm up at 7am and weekends I'm up at 8am. Thats what I set my alarm to and get up when it goes off, I have never hit the snooze button.

The exception is if I am out drinking the night before but even then my drunken self still sets the alarm just an hour later than usual. I still obey my alarm after drinking because A. I feel it's better to get up and moving and B. If I lied in I wouldn't be able to sleep that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Camrat

I had a falling out with my alarm clock a few years ago..........haven't seen it since.

He said it was time to get up..........i disagreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 QuantumAoif

I'm terrible I set the alarm at 6, then 6.30, then 6.45 then 7, then maybe 7.10, but I'm runnning late if I sleep in those extra 10 minutes. I think I believe that one day I'll get up between 6 and 6.30...

I'm terrible I set the alarm at 6, then 6.30, then 6.45 then 7, then maybe 7.10, but I'm runnning late if I sleep in those extra 10 minutes. I think I believe that one day I'll get up between 6 and 6.30...

It's those interrupted sleep that you get in the morning which screws everything up and makes you more tired. Best thing really is to go to bed at a set time every night like 10pm and then wake up at 6am. If you go to bed late, you'll wake up late and tired. I've noticed that by staying up late for even one day, it messes up your body clock and you fall back into going to bed late - waking up late pitfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

My Jack Russell wakes me every morning at 6.30am , in fact he wakes the neighbours too..
    At about 6.25am he launch's himself at the back door to get out for an early morning slash... after he hits the door about four or five times the intruder alarm activates , I think its called gross attack or pulse attack in alarm technology .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 QuantumAoif

It's those interrupted sleep that you get in the morning which screws everything up and makes you more tired. Best thing really is to go to bed at a set time every night like 10pm and then wake up at 6am. If you go to bed late, you'll wake up late and tired. I've noticed that by staying up late for even one day, it messes up your body clock and you fall back into going to bed late - waking up late pitfall.

Dont I know it. Definately my problem is going to bed late, very hard in summer!

Advertisement