Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motors: Appeal Infraction

Options
  • 04-07-2013 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'd like to appeal this infraction please.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85351376&postcount=55

I've PM'd the mod 'colm_mcm' to no avail, so am posting here

Pointing out that someone is being a dick is not against the rules I would have though? He was sincerely being a dick on both occasions so I don't see what the issue is :confused:

Thanks

Tallon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi Tallon,

Yes, calling another poster a dick is personal abuse. If you felt another poster was breaking the rules (of which "Don't be a dick" is one), you should have reported the posts and allowed a moderator to deal with them. Calling another poster a dick, regardless of the reasons, is personal abuse. Just because you think they're being a dick, doesn't mean you're allowed to call them one (in the same way calling another poster a troll can be sometimes actioned as being backseat modding or personal abuse depending on the circumstances).

I see no reason to overturn the moderators decision. You may ask for an admin to review this decision if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Penn wrote: »
    You may ask for an admin to review this decision if you wish.

No that's fine thanks

As above, I didn't know it was against the rules. I don't see any rule anywhere on it!

Can I go ahead and report the endless amounts of posts I see where people call other people 'Dicks' or ask them to 'Stop being a dick' ?

Genuine question btw. I'm not trying to be awkward, but if that's the rule, then I should have been reporting many posts a long time ago...

Thanks

Tal

Tallon wrote: »
    As above, I didn't know it was against the rules. I don't see any rule anywhere on it!

It's personal abuse, one of the main rules of the site. Attack the post, not the poster.
    Can I go ahead and report the endless amounts of posts I see where people call other people 'Dicks' or ask them to 'Stop being a dick' ?

Genuine question btw. I'm not trying to be awkward, but if that's the rule, then I should have been reporting many posts a long time ago...

Thanks

Tal

I would advise you not to start reporting posts from the past, as retroactively reporting posts in order to prove a point constitutes an abuse of the report function. Not that I'm suggesting you would do so (it's unclear from your post if that is what you were implying so I'm speaking in general terms), but it has been known to occur in similar situations in the past. But absolutely in future, if you feel a post breaks the rules or needs to be brought to the mods attention for whatever reason, report it and the mods will use their judgement to deal with it.

Thanks.

Just so I have this straight, from the past few days...

This is okay http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85365328&postcount=421
    .ak wrote: »
    Don't be a dick. Read the warning in the OP.

And this is okay? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85359975&postcount=1
    .ak wrote:
    MOD NOTE: It seems people are more interested in being dicks than actually discussing what's at hand. Straight one week bans for anything we consider uncivil. Be mindful of your fellow posters - you have been warned.

And this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85333232&postcount=2
    No need to be a dick audman, this is a genuine request.

!

How come the rules don't apply here? Is it because they are moderators?

You have to see where I'm coming from, I have never seen someone get so much as a warning for calling someone a dick, and yet, I get a week infraction?

Tallon, other people's posts aren't up for discussion here. Your post was a direct attack on another poster. Regardless of what term was used, that's against the rules.

I'm not discussing this further. You may either ask for an admin to review this or allow us to mark this as resolved.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Tallon, other people's posts aren't up for discussion here. Your post was a direct attack on another poster. Regardless of what term was used, that's against the rules.

I'm not discussing this further. You may either ask for an admin to review this or allow us to mark this as resolved.
    Where can I open a discussion in regards of double standards in moderation then?

Also, can I please ask for Admin review?

Other peoples post are perfectly relevant here since it's in direct relation to my infraction. You absolutely cannot have one rule for someone and another for someone else

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Where can I open a discussion then in regards of double standards in moderation then?
    Feedback would be the place for that discussion, but before you go down that road, think about what you're complaining about: moderators being allowed to post things (in the course of moderating a forum) that non-moderators are not.

Well, duh.
    Also, can I please ask for Admin review?
    Reviewed, and upheld.
    Other peoples post are perfectly relevant here since it's in direct relation to my infraction.
    No, they're not. You're making the case that it's OK to break the rules if you believe someone else has broken the rules. That's not how the site works, and the dispute resolution process has never been for discussing other people's posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement