Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use deposit to cover rent?

Options
  • 04-07-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one,
    Can you ask a landlord to use the deposit to cover a months rent? I was short for this month, the landlord is saying I've to come up with the cash somehow, I asked him to use the deposit and obviously i wouldn't get anything back when the lease is up!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You gotta be kidding right? NO!

Well, you can try - but will probably get the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

srsly78 wrote: »
    You gotta be kidding right? NO!

Well, you can try - but will probably get the boot.

No not really, a deposit is there to cover damage and loss of earnings is it not? surely this is preferable to no rent at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

newby.204 wrote: »
    No not really, a deposit is there to cover damage and loss of earnings is not? surely this preferable to no rent at all??

yes so if you use it as rent then how can it cover damage ......

pay your rent if you don't have it borrow it from family or friends or sell something you own. Your a big boy or girl act like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The landlord has no obligation to agree to this. Chances are if you try this and cannot come up with the money then you will be issued with a 14 day notice of arrears, and if you cant sort it in that time you will be issued with a 28 day eviction notice, at which point you will lose the deposit either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

So thats a no then! Cheers for the advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement