Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[DFB] Temporary Emergency Services Controller

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

It's quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

yup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Robbie154

Tuesday 10am eeek.... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kamookoa

Hi all, just got an email today for stage 2 test on 4th of May. Does anyone know what stage 2 consists of? Is it just aptitude tests again? If lucky enough to be called for an interview will it be on the same day as the aptitude test or at a further date? Also, will there be a fitness test? I am just wondering as I will be in hospital in Mid June so won't be fit at all or available for training. I'm just trying to figure out the potential dates of training if I happen to be successful. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 NASHSE1

Hi guys ,

i got a message on PJ.ie , i got a number for the panel in order of merit. IM 347, Whats the likely hood i'll get through to been called for training ?? , i was invited through to the stage 2 supervised testing first week of may. Dont know what to think. ive just got an internship this week , im torn,

kamookoa wrote: »
    Hi all, just got an email today for stage 2 test on 4th of May. Does anyone know what stage 2 consists of? Is it just aptitude tests again? If lucky enough to be called for an interview will it be on the same day as the aptitude test or at a further date? Also, will there be a fitness test? I am just wondering as I will be in hospital in Mid June so won't be fit at all or available for training. I'm just trying to figure out the potential dates of training if I happen to be successful. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks

There is a link in the email you received that will answer most of your questions.

Also if NASH above me was in the top 350 and he's testing then there must have been 3500 to apply if the top 10% are to be tested as before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kamookoa

Yeah I got the test familiarisation booklet, unless there's something else I missed? I was wondering more about dates and timeframes if called for an interview and possible training start dates as I am limited with my availability in June and if there's a fitness test coming up with it also.

The process is basically the same as the Firefighter recruitment without the "Applied Numeracy" and Call center added in.

Yeah I got the test familiarisation booklet, unless there's something else I missed? I was wondering more about dates and timeframes if called for an interview and possible training start dates as I am limited with my availability in June and if there's a fitness test coming up with it also.

nobody can answer those question. you are either dedicated to the roll and prepared to give it everything and put everything else on the back burner. If you dont there could be hundreds of people that are. You should ask yourself if this is the role for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 hanniffy1701

Yea got date 4th of May, Now to get cover for work

One small step at a time... pass the next stage first. Dates will known then!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

People keep worrying about physicals. Guys you need to realise you're basically working in a call centre. If years down the line you get moved up to train for the rank of firefighter, worry about it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭5500

Arruabarrena might pop in and have a better idea on how many entered or are being called, again total guess work but say 3 sessions per day of 40, over 3 days, 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭NeuronalJoe

I wonder if the place you got on the ff recruitment drive will impact this. Probably not , wishful thinking I guess. The amount that will be called for interview will probably be small than the ff interviews because of the amount of people they are looking for.
    Good luck to everybody next week !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Tardis wrote: »
    People keep worrying about physicals. Guys you need to realise you're basically working in a call centre. If years down the line you get moved up to train for the rank of firefighter, worry about it then.

You are tested for the physicals before you start training to become a controller.

Anyone no after 4 years are you gone or can you stay on, bit confused on this

Anyone no after 4 years are you gone or can you stay on, bit confused on this

They might renew. It seems they are using this roll as a carrott and stick to bait people in to lower wages for a few years (cheaper that a F/F) and allow them in through the back door doing internal recruitments. No guarentee you will get to be a F/F. I doubt the pay scale would even transfer over ad its only a contract position

They might renew. It seems they are using this roll as a carrott and stick to bait people in to lower wages for a few years (cheaper that a F/F) and allow them in through the back door doing internal recruitments. No guarentee you will get to be a F/F. I doubt the pay scale would even transfer over ad its only a contract position

I made a quick phone call to a current controller and from what they know you can carry service and pay increments across but you don't have a badge number but that's not a discussion for today. Third party info but is from a controller in there currently.

honreal wrote: »
    I made a quick phone call to a current controller and from what they know you can carry service and pay increments across but you don't have a badge number but that's not a discussion for today. Third party info but is from a controller in there currently.

Fair play, thanks for straightening that out. As we all know the salary is....

Wage:
    The wage scale for the position of Emergency Services Controller, (Temporary), is a 4 point scale. The present wage scale is €20,105, €22,339, €25,983, €28,205 per annum

Worth noting it wouldnt be till about year 3 until it get to the recruitment salary. Im also guessing if an ESC get recruited in to the FB that the salary would drop for the 6 months of training back to basic pay without shift allowance, Im not knocking it i just think it we should all be aware of it. Loads of lads that got the FB this time have been asking about salary and not sure if they can take the hit.

• Advertisement

Fair play, thanks for straightening that out. As we all know the salary is....

Wage:
    The wage scale for the position of Emergency Services Controller, (Temporary), is a 4 point scale. The present wage scale is €20,105, €22,339, €25,983, €28,205 per annum

Worth noting it wouldnt be till about year 3 until it get to the recruitment salary. Im also guessing if an ESC get recruited in to the FB that the salary would drop for the 6 months of training back to basic pay without shift allowance, Im not knocking it i just think it we should all be aware of it. Loads of lads that got the FB this time have been asking about salary and not sure if they can take the hit.

Im not sure if it helps or if this applies to controllers taking up recruit training but I was told that when a firefighter finishes the fire side of training, goes operational and returns a few months later to do the paramedic training they maintain their shift allowances. this was the case for the last public class many moons ago before the recruitment freeze. Perhaps this will be the case for controllers taking up recruit training. Somebody like Chungwun or Arruabarena im sure could clarify.

At the end of the day you can always find ways of supplementing your income if you have a trade or degree where you can get part time work etc.

Just got an email form Public Jobs. It seems candidates who attended the Firefighter tests can carry over there Video score or have the choice to resit the video.

Dear TJHooker2016

You have been invited to the supervised tests for the Emergency Services Controller (ESC) competition.

We note from our records that you recently completed supervised tests for the Firefighter competition with Dublin City Council. As stated in the Stage 2 familiarisation material for the Firefighter competition, ?...test scores attained at any stage in this campaign may carry forward to any open recruitment for Firefighter/Emergency Services Controller, or any other competition conducted by the Public Appointments Service within a 12 month period?.

As such, you have the option of carrying over your test scores for the video-based Firefighter tests only for the Emergency Services Controller (ESC) competition. Please note you must still attend for test as directed in your test invitation notice on your publicjobs messageboard to take the remaining aptitude tests (Verbal, Numerical and Call Taker Tests) in a supervised environment.

If you do not wish to carry over your score for the video-based Firefighter test, and sit these tests again, your score for the ESC competition will be the score from this most recent test sitting. If your score decreases or you do not reach the qualifying standard on this most recent occasion, you will not have the option of using the scores from your initial taking of the test.

Please let us know on the test day how you wish to proceed with this ? you may let your facilitator know as you register for the tests.

I guess that answers my question haha , hopefully my score from those tests and the tests next week will be good enough. I was 113 on the order or merit for the ff going into the interviews so hopefully I don't mess up the other 3 tests.

I'm not sure if I'll carry my test scores or just do them again.

stringbox wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'll carry my test scores or just do them again.

Same here, what did you get in the 2 tests?

Robbie154 wrote: »
    Same here, what did you get in the 2 tests?

Between 4500-5000 in both.
    I know they are good scores and well over the qualifying score but I wonder if I could do better.

I know they are good scores and well over the qualifying score but I wonder if I could do better.

just to say again, dont stress where you come as long as you get to interview. if your first on the list or last on the list. its all irrelevant when it comes to interview. Im guessing some lads her got to interview and didnt get further? that where id be honing my skills, fire extinguishers, procedures, visiting stations, read the fire services act, research how many calls each station does, understand the disciplines of the fire brigade (SRT, heights rescue, environmental) all of these things will make you a better candidate. not if you came first on the list or last. they want humans not robots. show them that in the interview

I'm in the same boat, I don't think I'll do them again,

TJ, I know what your saying as I was in the last DFB competition but I want to ensure getting to interview, that is a priority,

Robbie154 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, I don't think I'll do them again,

TJ, I know what your saying as I was in the last DFB competition but I want to ensure getting to interview, that is a priority,

well focus on being a good candidate honestly!

• Advertisement

well focus on being a good candidate honestly!

Oh I'm focused, but thanks for the heads up ðŸ‘

This is from the Call Centre Simulation

This test measures your ability to capture audio information and input this into predefined fields. You will have 5 minutes to complete the 8 pages in this test.
    You will be given Data Entry Guidelines in the test instructions. Please read these carefully and follow this format during the test. It is important that you access the practice link to the call centre simulation test as there are no practice items as part of the test itself.
    You will hear a series of numbers and letters that you must enter into the first field. When you have typed this information press the tab or key and you will hear the next set of information. Do not press the ‘next’ button at the bottom of the screen until you have filled in all of the fields.

What does this bit mean??

You will have one opportunity to hear the information and complete this test.

Will you be given headphones for this bit of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Jim Royle

The "Next button" part, is that what you are reffering to ? It means that when you are doing the test you just keep pressing tab and the screen/test page will move onto the next page automatically. So if you press the next button it will finish your test as soon as you hit the button.

I was wondering the same as you Robbie regards are we given headphones? I am going to presume we will be given headphones but I am going to have a pair with me just incase ie. My phone earbuds

Best of luck to everyone taking the tests.

Jim Royle wrote: »
    The "Next button" part, is that what you are reffering to ? It means that when you are doing the test you just keep pressing tab and the screen/test page will move onto the next page automatically. So if you press the next button it will finish your test as soon as you hit the button.

I was wondering the same as you Robbie regards are we given headphones? I am going to presume we will be given headphones but I am going to have a pair with me just incase ie. My phone earbuds

Best of luck to everyone taking the tests.

Hi Jim, no the bit I'm talking about is where it says, you will have ONE opportunity to hear the information

Surely if you to hear it again you can press the F9 button?

Sorry Robbie, by the sound of it we will only get 1 chance to hear the information.

I cant remmeber on the online test was there an option to get the info repeated ?!

I just remember focusing on all the info I could hear and just getting that info on to the screen as quick as possible.

Considering what they're trying to simulate you might not get a second chance to get the info when the caller is screaming down the phone for help. In reality it's probably twice as difficult to get the info considering different nationalities and accents. They're probably of the mind set that of you can't get this info first time from a slow taking English woman how can you obtain the info from a panicked russiann who barely speaks English ?

• Advertisement

No you are all wrong. You have one attempt to complete the practice test it its entirety.

After that the link doesn't work.

F6 I think it was repeated the info in the practice test and I think F8 spelt it out for you.

Anyone know how many got through to stage 2 of the aptitude

Roughly 350 or so I think is the amount to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dave087

Any idea how many are going to interview?

• Advertisement

I dont know exactly Dave how many are going to interview stages but I think someone said in and around 100 or so... now dont quote me on that but I think it is roughly 100 maybe 120 ?!?!?

Just finished doing my revision work for tomorrow morning. Wishing you all the best of luck for your stage 2 tests whether they be tomorrow or over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dave087

Cheers for the info jim royle, and best of luck to you also!

Would you get away with showing the invitation on your phone or is a print out of it essential??

I would personally get the invite printed out. Go into an internet cafe and just print it out in there if you are stuck for printing options. Obviously dont forget to log out off your pj profile

Tardis wrote: »
    Would you get away with showing the invitation on your phone or is a print out of it essential??

I showed them the invite on the phone a few months back they didn't like it but they accepted it.

Jim Royle wrote: »
    I would personally get the invite printed out. Go into an internet cafe and just print it out in there if you are stuck for printing options. Obviously dont forget to log out off your pj profile

Used the office computer then signed out. Chrome incognito 😂😂

Anyone know how long will results take to come out

I would guess a week after the last day. It seems to be moving now.

How was stage 2 for some of you?

lonfire1 wrote: »
    How was stage 2 for some of you?

Everyone seemed to leave happy enough, myself included

• Advertisement
Advertisement