Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[DFB] Temporary Emergency Services Controller

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Robbie154

I wouldn't be giving anything away on here until it's done and dusted, I'd say I did enough to get an interview that's all I care about

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Robbie154 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be giving anything away on here until it's done and dusted, I'd say I did enough to get an interview that's all I care about

Can't see anyone being brave enough to give anything away ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Everyone tested so far will get an interview. Hard not to be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

Tardis wrote: »
    Everyone seemed to leave happy enough, myself included
    Thanks...I'm in tomorrow.... didn't get much study in, fingers crossed !

• Registered Users Posts: 38 gt4-wrc

When is the last day does anyone know?

Can't see anyone being brave enough to give anything away ha ha

Oh you would be surprised lol I would say they are finished on Friday morning

When I was there on Monday morning about 20 (including me) left when the option was given to carry the scores over, lots of happy people lol

When I was there on Monday morning about 20 (including me) left when the option was given to carry the scores over, lots of happy people lol[/quote]

About 8 left today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭5500

How many were in the sessions? Did they take everyone up in groups from reception downstairs or just make your way upstairs yourselfs?

5500 wrote: »
    How many were in the sessions? Did they take everyone up in groups from reception downstairs or just make your way upstairs yourselfs?

40. They took us up as a group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭5500

Looks like the numbers may have been higher than anticipated, with a few sessions a day there's probably over 450 being tested not taking into account no shows, haven't heard any mentions of how many positions there actually are going to be either

Wonder how many will they interview?

Approx 80 a day getting tested, finishing on Friday so approx 350-400 being tested, approximately 140 for interview

Did I juat say approx 3 times in one sentence lol

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

My guess is 350 for testing, they will cull 20% down to 280 to interview pannel of 80-90 (1:4 chance of a panel place) thats the ratios from the firefighter process applied to this process.

Will we get the rent allowance too if we get in? Anybody have any idea?

stringbox wrote: »
    Will we get the rent allowance too if we get in? Anybody have any idea?

Was wondering that myself. My guess is no. An ESC is not a firefighter. Yes they work shift but not the same training or pay scale. It would be great if they did as the basic in this roll is fat too low imho.

But i could be wrong.

• Advertisement

I guess the bad point if we don't get it is that I'll struggle to find a place to rent. The good point is that hopefully some older guys with families and mortgages will realise they can't afford to take the pay cut and give me a better shot to rise up the panel.

I guess the bad point if we don't get it is that I'll struggle to find a place to rent. The good point is that hopefully some older guys with families and mortgages will realise they can't afford to take the pay cut and give me a better shot to rise up the panel.

i hear ya pal, but nobody going in to the emergency services for a career should have to "Hope" for someone to bow out for financial reasons. Everyone should be paid fairly but unfortunately they are not. Dont take it personal i sympathies with your situation. Just aim as high as you can, study bloody hard and earn a top place on the panel. Dont hope that someone bows out for a reason. Be better than that. you wouldnt be on this forum looking for information if you werent looking to improve. Just go the extra mile pal and it will pay off :o

i hear ya pal, but nobody going in to the emergency services for a career should have to "Hope" for someone to bow out for financial reasons. Everyone should be paid fairly but unfortunately they are not. Dont take it personal i sympathies with your situation. Just aim as high as you can, study bloody hard and earn a top place on the panel. Dont hope that someone bows out for a reason. Be better than that. you wouldnt be on this forum looking for information if you werent looking to improve. Just go the extra mile pal and it will pay off :o

I have to disagree with ya there TJ, I think the ability to stick out the low wages is a huge factor in the suitability of a candidate.

If someone takes the paycut and later realises he made a mistake and quits he is screwing two people, number one himself and number two the less experienced guy who he beat out.

I have to disagree with ya there TJ, I think the ability to stick out the low wages is a huge factor in the suitability of a candidate.

With respect it does not. Many people who live (born is dublin) would not be able to survive on that salary not because they made silly financial decisions but because they live in a capital city and the cost of living is much higher than say a candidate that applies from a neighboring county that can commute with much lower cost of living.
    If someone takes the paycut and later realises he made a mistake and quits he is screwing two people, number one himself and number two the less experienced guy who he beat out.

Again that is not an accurate statement. End of the day as you siad less experienced guy. The process by your own admission as chosen the more qualified candidate. There can be many changes in circumstances that would dictate someone might leave. Perhaps the other parent in the family has been made redundant or has become terminally ill? Perhaps one of the parents has died and the other needs to make a sacrafice for financial reasons.

I have to say buddy your not coming across like a team play on this issue. Your coming across as somone who is quite sour that you have not been successful in the past. You really need to stop looking at everyone else around you and focus on improving your chances next time. The more time you waste looking for faults on other people you will miss your own shortcomings

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this TJ.

It's a simple fact that a 45 year old applicant will have more life experience than a 35 year old applicant. In turn a 35 year old applicant will have more experience than a 25 year old applicant. Simply because they've been an adult longer.

That's the natural advantage the older guys have. The natural advantage that guys my age have is that a lot of us don't make much money so it won't be a pay cut.

I don't see how stating that makes me sour. It's not a personal attack towards anyone else.

• Advertisement

It's a simple fact that a 45 year old applicant will have more life experience than a 35 year old applicant. In turn a 35 year old applicant will have more experience than a 25 year old applicant. Simply because they've been an adult longer.

thats not fact, that is your opinion and you are blinded by it. If an 18 year old chap arrives in to an interview with 4 years done in AFS/Casualty has attended many events providing cover etc, has sat a course on interview techniques visited every station. versus a 45 year old candidate who has gone for the role because he fancied being a fireman when he was 6 and never though about it since.

the answer is the 18 year old has more experience. life experience will get you so far, a panel want to see commitment to becoming a firefighter, what did you do to prepare? how much have you shown that you want it? are you prepared to be the best candidate? because all im hearing from you are excuses as to why people are better candidates than you or why you are hoping the money so as low so less people will apply.

My guess is 350 for testing, they will cull 20% down to 280 to interview pannel of 80-90 (1:4 chance of a panel place) thats the ratios from the firefighter process applied to this process.

I hope you are correct Tj, would be nice to get an interview at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭UniquePatch

Hi I was just wondering for the recruitment that just went do I need to score around same points for the first three and get the qualifying score for instructions and observation to get a interview thanks

Hi I was just wondering for the recruitment that just went do I need to score around same points for the first three and get the qualifying score for instructions and observation to get a interview thanks

you need to score reasonably the same. (score more than 20% lower and they will exclude you from the process for not being consistent) once all tests are complete they will compile the top scoring candidates and bring them forward to interview. Nobody knows for sure how many that will be.

When are the results out?

When are the results out?

nobody knows

• Registered Users Posts: 23 N1ceWan

Quote: TJHooker2016

Would the panel have been that big back in 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dave087

N1ceWan wrote: »
    Quote: TJHooker2016

Would the panel have been that big back in 2013?

Roughly 3500 applied for DFB controller in 2013, and they cut it down to the top 250 for supervised tests and then from there they took the top 140 to interview.

Dave087 wrote: »
    Roughly 3500 applied for DFB controller in 2013, and they cut it down to the top 250 for supervised tests and then from there they took the top 140 to interview.

wow, thats a serious cull. thats less than 10% through to supervised tests, and less that top 5% through to interview. Firefighter competition wasent even that fierce.

The wait is killing me, did anyone feel like they did slightly worse or better

• Advertisement

personally i did better i reckon. in the firefighter test i ran out of time on the tabs questions and had about 6-8 questions left over. this time i completed it and had 60 seconds left. i then looked around when i was finished and saw most people still had 10 or so questions still to answer. in the math i think i did better too. in the firefighter i got stuck on a sum and decided to work on it but lost too much time. this one i flew through it and put in a wrong answer on purpose rather than wast time.

i purposely didnt practice for this one as i wanted to see the difference between this and the firefighter results. i placed below 150 in OOM in the firefighter. I will be very interested to see where i place on this.

Fair play! Personally think I did worser and don't have clue about how I did on observation and instructions I placed 179 in original one hoping for a interview

Anyone any idea what the gap between being excepted onto the panel and beginning training is? I know it's jumping the gun but have a wedding in mid June so just trying to plan ahead in case

Anyone any idea what the gap between being excepted onto the panel and beginning training is? I know it's jumping the gun but have a wedding in mid June so just trying to plan ahead in case

nobody will have that info. HR wouldnt even know. the the interviews are complete DFB and DCC will sit down assess how many vacancies are required over the coming 3 years and begin training.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Jim Royle

Just off to phone to pas and the girl said the results of stage 2 should be out by next week. Just to let you all know

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hanniffy1701

Anyone know when results are out

Looks like it's gonna be next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 N1ceWan

I read back through a lot of the old posts and the last campaign they were 3 weeks waiting aswell. Also on a side note it was 11 sessions of 40 people in the end that got called for stage 2
    *put down the calculator thats 440 :)

I read back through a lot of the old posts and the last campaign they were 3 weeks waiting aswell. Also on a side note it was 11 sessions of 40 people in the end that got called for stage 2

That's some good detective work. I read back through the thread as well, it's a lot of reading! I wonder how many will be called to interview.

• Advertisement

That's some good detective work. I read back through the thread as well, it's a lot of reading! I wonder how many will be called to interview.

im guessing 20% cut. so 440 down to 352 to interview. 1:4 panel of 88. thats my GUESS

• Registered Users Posts: 38 gt4-wrc

There was under 30 at the session i sat.

I was sure it was going to be today.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dave087

I was sure it was going to be today.

Me too. Really dragging out at this stage!

results are out

only top 100 are being called forward to interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

only top 100 are being called forward to interview.

Did you get your vetting problem sorted yet? Did DCC let you know if they got it back ?

KiloDelta wrote: »
    Did you get your vetting problem sorted yet? Did DCC let you know if they got it back ?

yeah that was taken care of a few weeks back. as it was older than 8 years it wasent an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

yeah that was taken care of a few weeks back. as it was older than 8 years it wasent an issue.

So they vet the whole panel and not just the first classes...?

KiloDelta wrote: »
    So they vet the whole panel and not just the first classes...?

yes, all the vetting is done right at the start. the physical and medicals are done around 2 months before the class begins.

are you on the firefighter panel? did you do the controller test?

Wooooo!
    I'm still in it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement