Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[DFB] Temporary Emergency Services Controller

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

lonfire1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that ...BX 19. Something different I suppose, this obviously an on line assessment/aptitude test so.Is anyone going doing the 2 day Test Preperation course this weekend??

@ lonfire1 who is running this two day test prep course, and is registering done online? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dublinmackem

I know a few lads from the council who did it with shl apptitudetests a couple of weeks before their DFB app exam but this was only one day for 120 I think, I heard the 2 day is 200

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

D Trent wrote: »
    @ lonfire1 who is running this two day test prep course, and is registering done online? thanks

Its ran by Test Preperations.ie, but its on this weekend.... As far as i know its fully booked out.I had to register by post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

applications closed on the 25th, has anyone an idea of the timeframe now of whats next?

applications closed on the 25th, has anyone an idea of the timeframe now of whats next?

the million dollar question :)
    hope to maybe get something in the post in next 2 weeks or something, but I've really no idea meself

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

I sent an email to them and they replied saying that we should hear by the end of this week and that the first round will be an online aptitude test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

I sent an email to them and they replied saying that we should hear by the end of this week and that the first round will be an online aptitude test.

Cheers for that! Anyone have any idea of the format this aptitude will take? This is a fairly new thing with online aptitudes right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

djor88 wrote: »
    Cheers for that! Anyone have any idea of the format this aptitude will take? This is a fairly new thing with online aptitudes right?

It will more than likely include a typing speed test. But beware if anyone is thinking of getting a friend to type for them, if you are called then you will have to sit another typing test and the truth of your speed will unfold.

Just as a side note, all the mails from public jobs seem to go straight to my bulk mail and not to the inbox, same with another mate of mine who applied, I assume correspondence will all be by post though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Arruabarrena

PAS usually do everything by email

emails came out earlier today to check your inbox on public jobs. things are set for the 19th-22nd of august with prep material being issued on the 12th to us.

emails came out earlier today to check your inbox on public jobs. things are set for the 19th-22nd of august with prep material being issued on the 12th to us.

I got notification through text message to check public jobs a/c roll on 19th -22nd keyboards at the ready so :)

How are all your typing skills? It's not my strong point :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Mines around 35wpm if it take it handy to avoid mistakes, anything faster errors start to creep in.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Mines around 35wpm if it take it handy to avoid mistakes, anything faster errors start to creep in.

Thanks . Il have to get practicing so ... Did anyone hear on the number of people that applied for the job ??

• Advertisement

alot, ive heard numbers from 6,000-25,000.
    hard to guess really, would the dcc release the figure if we rang them?

alot, ive heard numbers from 6,000-25,000.
    hard to guess really, would the dcc release the figure if we rang them?

Would you think that many applied ? I actually rang public jobs and they would nt give me a number .. So I asked was it in the thousands and said that it wasnt .Maybe she was telling me what I wanted to hear. I'd say a lot of people missed out on it as it was a tempory position in the control room , and maybe they didn't see it opening into fire fighter positions ... Just a thought ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

HR in DCC said to me that they've had more applications than they expected. They said they were inundated but wouldn't tell me the figure.

Nowhere near the figures banded about in here. Good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shauna6989

Friend in dfb said figure was 35,000

• Advertisement

Divide that by 17 more like

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

Anyone do the practice online assessments yet?

going to give them a bash tomorow. ive a less busy day and a quiet house tomoroww afternoon to give it my best shot. how many practice tests can we take in total?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Rob32 wrote: »
    Anyone do the practice online assessments yet?

Done it there am a bit pissed of with it to be honest. I've worked in a very busy call centre and I type at 65wpm touch typing so well used to these types of scenarios and found this test poxy hard.

Not because of the speed required but because it's hard to distinguish her English accent speaking so fast and its even worse trying to spell place names from England :(

Literally had 2 seconds to spare by the final screen. How did anyone else find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

miju wrote: »
    Done it there am a bit pissed of with it to be honest. I've worked in a very busy call centre and I type at 65wpm touch typing so well used to these types of scenarios and found this test poxy hard.

Not because of the speed required but because it's hard to distinguish her English accent speaking so fast and its even worse trying to spell place names from England :(

Literally had 2 seconds to spare by the final screen. How did anyone else find it?

Same issue I had, Id never heard of half the places they needed me to spell haha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Rob32 wrote: »
    Same issue I had, Id never heard of half the places they needed me to spell haha.

Exactly, and it's fine that you can hit F9 and they will spell the word for you but that loses time and is not I think a fair representation of place name spelling.

I remember when the lads in the UK came over to our call centre for a few weeks they had awful, awful trouble trying to get the Irish place name spellings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I tried to log on last night with the login details provided by PAS it kept coming up invalid login, Also when I clicked on to the other link for the call center it said that my session had expired.
    Anyone else got similar problems?

I tried to log on last night with the login details provided by PAS it kept coming up invalid login, Also when I clicked on to the other link for the call center it said that my session had expired.
    Anyone else got similar problems?

When you log on to your practice test you get another log in number , copy and paste it and log in with that one , if you can understand what I'm saying . That's what I did anyway .

Thanks will give it a go later tonight when I finish work .

between her accent, quality of audio and the speed at which she speaks, lets pray it's easier on the day of the actual test. it was managable, but not the best ive ever done.

• Advertisement

Just an up date I managed to login this evening no problem jaysus the call center girl talks at some speed,I thought flying in the US dealing with fast talking ATC was bad :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Still not managed to get any of the practice tests to open for me....anybody any tips please??

spygirl wrote: »
    Still not managed to get any of the practice tests to open for me....anybody any tips please??

When you first log in you use a number from public jobs , then you should get another log in code , open a new page and try the new log in number .

Just done a few tests myself ... Please tell me that some of you found the verbal reasoning hard. I nearly s.... Myself when I seen all the reading that had to be done .

When you first log in you use a number from public jobs , then you should get another log in code , open a new page and try the new log in number .

not even getting that far, telling me security settings won't let mee download the file. need to update flash playeer. won't let me, tried disabling security for a few mins even but still nada
    :eek:

Just done a few tests myself ... Please tell me that some of you found the verbal reasoning hard. I nearly s.... Myself when I seen all the reading that had to be done .

if found it handy enough, except being afraid of running out of time. there was a hint in each question of what section you needed to skip to to get the info required

not even getting that far, telling me security settings won't let mee download the file. need to update flash playeer. won't let me, tried disabling security for a few mins even but still nada

Give it a kick so :-)

if found it handy enough, except being afraid of running out of time. there was a hint in each question of what section you needed to skip to to get the info required

I ran out of time ... Big time, il have to get my finger out or I'm done !

get yourself to your local library. free to join and free internet access.

• Advertisement

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Just did the verbal reasoning test and when I went back in to try it again a message pops up saying that I have completed all tests and to log out, Do you only get one chance to complete the practice tests?:confused:

D Trent wrote: »
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?

had to lower all my security settings to do it in the end. Wouldn't let me use adobe and kept blocking the website, but got there. thought we had three practice shots though, did it once and now it seems to be blocked, tried with the 2nd login ID as well. Anybody else having this issue?

i cant wait to get stage one out of the way. its always the biggest hurdle to jump, does anyone have an idea when stage two is due to take place?

had to lower all my security settings to do it in the end. Wouldn't let me use adobe and kept blocking the website, but got there. thought we had three practice shots though, did it once and now it seems to be blocked, tried with the 2nd login ID as well. Anybody else having this issue?

Same here keep getting a message that I completed all sections and it won't allow me to try them again unlike the call center one which you can do as many times as you like.

Same here keep getting a message that I completed all sections and it won't allow me to try them again unlike the call center one which you can do as many times as you like.

the call taker assessment is the one id practice the most myself

• Advertisement

I think you need to give it a little time to reset, it's letting me back on now. I would agree though that the call taker assessment might be the one to concentrate on.I would imagine there are other versions of the verbal reasoning exams available online you could also use to practice with if you wished

yeah there are tonnes of them online, the behavioural ones are really up to yourself and what your opnions are.

for the call taker assessment id get your typing speed up to a good speed and get used to listening to various accents and typing the info down fast. watch youtube videos and type what you hear into ms word or the likes to get extra practice

• Registered Users Posts: 23 smokie32

Hi guys,
    I'm also struggling with the call taker practice tests. Hoping the real thing is a bit easier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ArtyBoy

In fairness, it's a bit of a joke expecting Irish people to know how to spell foreign place names that they are in no way familiar with.
    It makes the whole thing 10 times harder and causes hesitation and confusion. How many people from Gloucestershire are going to be calling Dublin fire brigade?

Also using foreign surnames is ridiculous too, it all demonstrates poor planning and preparation on behalf of the recruiters.
    They couldn't be arsed providing relevant test material so opt for a foreign test instead, what a bloody joke!

ArtyBoy wrote: »
    In fairness, it's a bit of a joke expecting Irish people to know how to spell foreign place names that they are in no way familiar with.
    It makes the whole thing 10 times harder and causes hesitation and confusion. How many people from Gloucestershire are going to be calling Dublin fire brigade?

Also using foreign surnames is ridiculous too, it all demonstrates poor planning and preparation on behalf of the recruiters.
    They couldn't be arsed providing relevant test material so opt for a foreign test instead, what a bloody joke!

So that's how you spell Glo......Glou......glosss.....glostershure

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement