Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[DFB] Temporary Emergency Services Controller

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭NeuronalJoe

As the last day or 2 of interviews is upon us , I'd like to say good luck to all !

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Jim Royle

As the last day or 2 of interviews is upon us , I'd like to say good luck to all !

On my way into town now. Cheers Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

have to laugh, the thread on the Firefighter role was awash with people with feedback through out the process, i was asked X Y Z, the guy on interview board x was what ever. not a single mention on this thread. think it goes to show the level of competition and concentration for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Robbie154

It'll be interesting tomorrow evening to hear what everyone was asked, hopefully letters by Friday

My HR lady today said it was most likely going to be early next week. She said it might be friday at a push but realistically it will be early next week.

• Advertisement

What board where you on, how did you get on

I was on board 1. Felt I answered all well with some of the answer I gave were very good ( I felt personnally )

Had 1 little stumble but regained my confidence and soldiered on.

Hard to judge how I done but I felt it was good enough. Will just have to wait and see.

Well, lads as of 11:20am the last interviews were completed. How did everyone do?

I personally found it a lot easier than the Firefighter interview. I was asked a lot of questions about all aspects of the Brigade, how many districts, how many calls per year. how many fire calls, how many ambulance calls, had i been to any stations. had i been to the ERCC what counties does it cover, on top of the competencies. also got asked if i had been in a confrontation and how did i react, can i take orders, can i take criticism, what steps did i take to prepare for the interview, could i give an example of a time when i had to work to a particular standard. to be honest i enjoyed it had 3 glasses of water during the interview and even managed to crack a smile from one of the panel.

they said the results would be out early next week by post to my address. I was surprised there were no questions on the extinguishers or even equipment on the appliances. Anyway good luck to all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Must have been why the jug was empty when I got there!

I thought you were excluded from this competition anyway TJ?

My experience was similar to yours, I found it a lot easier.

stringbox wrote: »

I thought you were excluded from this competition anyway TJ?

why would that be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

why would that be?

Didn't you say earlier in this thread? That you were already on the FF panel? My mistake I must be thinking of someone else.

stringbox wrote: »
    Didn't you say earlier in this thread? That you were already on the FF panel? My mistake I must be thinking of someone else.

I did say i was on the FF panel. I applied for both at the same time. I asked DCC what i should do. they told me that i should complete the interview process. there words were "You are not in until you have the contract signed, so take nothing for granted its an open competition" so i followed through to the end.

why would that be?

I thought because you were on the panel already for DFB that you weren't eligible, I remember you posted saying you never got the email from our pal Brian Teahan, then never saw you posting here since, anyway....... what would you do if you were offered ESC starting in October or January ?

I basically got asked all the questions you did, also I got the where do you see yourself in 5 years, how do you deal with stress, what's your proudest achievement, tell me your daily routine,

Went great for me, I was in there for 37 minutes but it felt like about 10, it flew in. I got alot of smiles and head nodding in agreement with what I was saying to the questions that they asked me, I have really built up my CV over the last 4 months (with courses etc) since not getting DFB and I let them know that I was doing it out of determination to be a ESC/FF

They seemed fairly impressed but time will tell

Robbie154 wrote: »
    I thought because you were on the panel already for DFB that you weren't eligible, I remember you posted saying you never got the email from our pal Brian Teahan, then never saw you posting here since, anyway....... what would you do if you were offered ESC starting in October or January ?

Sorry maybe i never came back and clarified. It was an email error from their side that i didnt get the email. all rectified in the end. I was told by DCC i should take which ever role comes up first and even if its a month later the other role came up i would be eligible to transfer over and begin training. i did think it was a little strange but in reality i want a job and i have to spread my chances to get one. we all want it and would all want the best chance to get it.
    I basically got asked all the questions you did, also I got the where do you see yourself in 5 years, how do you deal with stress, what's your proudest achievement, tell me your daily routine,

yeah got all of those too
    Went great for me, I was in there for 37 minutes but it felt like about 10, it flew in. I got alot of smiles and head nodding in agreement with what I was saying to the questions that they asked me, I have really built up my CV over the last 4 months (with courses etc) since not getting DFB and I let them know that I was doing it out of determination to be a ESC/FF

They seemed fairly impressed but time will tell

yup, i felt the same. if we all got that impression its going to be a tough battle for the panel.

Where you on Board 2 ?

Where you on Board 2 ?

I was, were you?

I was indeed. Interviews seem like a near carbon copy

How long was everyone's interview btw

30-35 mins

Mine was about 30 mins... I got the stressful situation question and dealing with people. Proudest acheivement.. didnt get the detailed one about the control room although was asked did I go into Tara St. Gave the whole speal aboit CAMP, STORM ProQA etc..

Was asked what would I do if I got 2 conflicting commands off two S.O's was prob my hardest question ?

I was on board 1 and was there for 25-30 minutes. I kept answering questions which led into their next question which they all seemed happy with (I dont know if that is a good or bad thing ?!?! )

The jobs are meant to be split 50/50 from each board... I was told that by a D.O. Anyone clarify that ?!??!

• Advertisement

all sounds like we all got a decent range of questioning. but no grillings like were handed out the Firefighter interviews. will be very interesting to see how we score based on the 2 competitions. test exposure would dictate you would do better in the second interview. but was the burning passion there for as many people as there might have been for the firefighter position? im not sure.

What did you say to the conflicting orders question?

I got that one too but it wasn't 2 S/O's it was 2 work colleagues

What did you say to the conflicting orders question?

I got that one too

i didnt get that one. If i was asked i probably would have said that i had a previous order from a different officer, would you like me to disregard that order and carry out yours? but thats just me shooting form the hip.

I said if there was SO A and SO B. A said it first then B came up and said sl.ething different I would say it to B that A has given me a different order.

I found out I should follow my last command, so if A gave me an order then B says something else, say it to B that A has me doing something else and follow your last command.

Jim Royle wrote: »
    I said if there was SO A and SO B. A said it first then B came up and said sl.ething different I would say it to B that A has given me a different order.

I found out I should follow my last command, so if A gave me an order then B says something else, say it to B that A has me doing something else and follow your last command.

sounds like a good response to me.

Just so hard to judge at this stage TJ.

Would love this job. Pain in my hoop with construction and its taking abig time toll on my body too.

Heres hoping.

Jim Royle wrote: »
    Just so hard to judge at this stage TJ.

Would love this job. Pain in my hoop with construction and its taking abig time toll on my body too.

Heres hoping.

to be fare it sounds to me like a good answer. I hear you on the construction end of things. Been their done that. it would seem the odds of a panel place are good if the numbers are to be believed. was it 72 interviewed with a panel of 50 or something? someone might clarify for me. that would mean 2 in every 3 people interviewed would get a panel place

I said something similar but said I would take the order of the more superior person as I feel that they would have the training and experience to have issued the order in the first place

I don't think you'd be marked much on that question, it could be marked under the dealing with information or dealing with people question but I was asked that separately and had a really good answer for it

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

But with a panel of 50 I wouldn't imagine anyone being used over the 35th

• Advertisement

Tardis wrote: »
    But with a panel of 50 I wouldn't imagine anyone being used over the 35th

Last time no one was used over 28th

Advertisement