Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[DFB] Temporary Emergency Services Controller

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Robbie154

Just about the stressful situations and dealing with stress questions

did anyone mention CISM? It's the critical incident stress management that exists within the Fire Brigade for firefighters under stress due to being exposed to traumatic events?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

Robbie154 wrote: »
    Just about the stressful situations and dealing with stress questions

did anyone mention CISM? It's the critical incident stress management that exists within the Fire Brigade for firefighters under stress due to being exposed to traumatic events?

Yeah i did, i was also asked it in the ff interview.
    In the ff i was asked what services were available to firefighters in stressful situations. In this interview i was given rope to hang myself,
    What did i do to prepare? Well inread the DFB constitution. Can you tell me about that and off i went splurged out all the info!

Jeeeeeeeeesus, rather you than me lol

Jeeeeeeeeesus, rather you than me lol

It was geand. New my facts inside out. 1.2m people in a 356 square mile area. 6 districts, 12 ft stations 2 retained, 12 ambulances 150000 calls through ERCC each year. 90000 ambulance 12000 fire the rest are the other counties. There is any amout of info you could give on DFB its an insanely diverse brigade

Not sure on those figures, the ones I got from the D/O in the ERCC where

2015 Up 7% on the previous year

113041 Ambulance

24028 Fire / Dublin

14574 Fire / All other counties

Total. 151733

• Advertisement

Not sure on those figures, the ones I got from the D/O in the ERCC where

2015 Up 7% on the previous year

113041 Ambulance

24028 Fire / Dublin

14574 Fire / All other counties

Total. 151733

I did mention tat there were conflicting figures out there. Environ have one set. DFB publish a different set and the most available are form 2011. (Which is also when the constitution was updated i think) the figure above for Fire Dublin 24028 does than include malicious calls, false alarm, false alarm with good intent? we dont know. I wasent able to get exact numbers i sent an email to DFB no reply. And Environs website does not have the numbers listed on Fatality's and the times they occurred and the county.

Im sure they know that its not easy to get the exact numbers. But what i did say was "From the publications i read"

That sounds like the right job, no-one is gonna be spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

I didn't manage to squeeze in that many statistics, I felt like I was going from one competency to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭NeuronalJoe

stringbox wrote: »
    I didn't manage to squeeze in that many statistics, I felt like I was going from one competency to the next.

I felt the same Stringbox. Everything I said kind of moved them on to the next competency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

What one set of figures could be is ones that were officially recorded on the computer systems in the dfb control room. Multi calls for more same incidents wouldn't be recorded every time. Or if the computer crashes the lads can just write down the details.

The higher figures could come from BT call centre as to the amount of calls they directed to the DFB control room.

• Advertisement

Chungwun wrote: »
    What one set of figures could be is ones that were officially recorded on the computer systems in the dfb control room. Multi calls for more same incidents wouldn't be recorded every time. Or if the computer crashes the lads can just write down the details.

The higher figures could come from BT call centre as to the amount of calls they directed to the DFB control room.

Thanks for the input Chungwun, Being in DFB yourself do you think the entry standard have gone up much since the time you joined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Thanks for the input Chungwun, Being in DFB yourself do you think the entry standard have gone up much since the time you joined?

That's a hard question to answer really. It's just changed a lot over the last ten years or so since the introduction of the aptitude tests.

Thing about the fire brigade. No matter what way it is done, when it gets as far as the interviews the lads who are doing them know what they are looking for. Always a few people get thru that don't always work out but for the vast majority, most are on the same page.

So the only standard to change is if you can get thru the aptitude and if your right for the job you will probably make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dave087

Anybody know if any of there references have been contacted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Jim Royle

I work with my main ref and would be told straight away if they were contacted

Jim Royle wrote: »

Yeah same as myself. They don't always look for references do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭NeuronalJoe

I'm pretty sure they do check them but not until after the medical or physical as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

I didn't feel that nervous at the interview, but I'm nervous now.

Meet your brother lol :-) :-)

Very nervous aswell lads! I wonder will any of us find out tomorrow!

Heart says yes

head says it'll be Monday ta fcuk so stop thinking about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Skarey

Nervous lads? I'm brickin' it!!

From reading back on your posts about the interviews you seem to have all given excellent answers and a huge amount of info. I felt my interview went ok (better than the FF/P one, more relaxed) but reading your posts I'm not so sure. I didn't give the stats some of you gave, the questioning didn't lead into it but I also didn't offer the info up to them either. Kicking myself, because I did know them!! I might have also been at a slight disadvantage as my interview was at the earlier part of the interviews... Seems like the panels settled themselves in and got a good set of questions going as the week progressed which may have also helped the interviewee get across more info.

Best of Luck to you all!

I was in early too, best way cos at the end they're sick of hearing the same sh111te from everyone

Have to agree with Robbie on that one. It's better to get in there early and give it your best shot. Stats and figures are great don't get me wrong but if everybody talked about stats and figures for a week and a half the interview boards will be fairly sick of hearing it over and over again. I gave a couple of stats also but not as many as previous posters mentioned. I think the competencies we gave are desire for the job and are backgrounds/application will have a big impact on how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reddington

Letters went out this evening you should all know in the morning or when ever your post arrives .

reddington wrote: »
    Letters went out this evening you should all know in the morning or when ever your post arrives .

From a poster that only a few months ago was asking the requirements to be a FF I would say that they above post is complete WAFFLE

I think you have me mixed up with somebody else Robbie

What's the source that the letters are gone out

Sure it's only WAFFEL Robbie .

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Jim Royle

Im just up. Couldnt sleep with the anticipation of waiting for the postie. Im off to hunt the ****er down now. He is a bit like myself, usually comes early !!

No letters for me lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Jim Royle wrote: »

Quit jumping the gun. References are only contacted if and when they tell you you have the job! And they have to tell you first they are contacting them.

Advertisement