Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[DFB] Temporary Emergency Services Controller

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dublin_Fan

Has everyone got their letters for the medical and physical? Got mine this morning, How's the practice for the CPAT going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Dublin_Fan wrote: »
    Has everyone got their letters for the medical and physical? Got mine this morning, How's the practice for the CPAT going

When are the physicals starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dublin_Fan

First week in September

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dave087

Anybody do there cpat today? How did you all get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Jim Royle

Dont all answer the man at once lads...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭david-d

Dave087 wrote: »
    Anybody do there cpat today? How did you all get on?

Hi lads, I was in on Monday morning there were 6 of us in total, difficult enough but all passed as far as I'm aware, i got conformation from DCC that I passed on Tues, theree some sort of paperwork delay now before job offers

Cheers for getting back David. Very strange there was only 6 of you in for the cpat ?! Or is that just me ?

Cant understand why there would be a delay in paperwork ? Or is this the norm in these type of positions ?

In anyway congrats on passing and please God me and I think another Dave will be put through our paces in the cpat as part of the 2nd class.

Jim Royle wrote: »
    Cheers for getting back David. Very strange there was only 6 of you in for the cpat ?! Or is that just me ?

Cant understand why there would be a delay in paperwork ? Or is this the norm in these type of positions ?

In anyway congrats on passing and please God me and I think another Dave will be put through our paces in the cpat as part of the 2nd class.

I was out on the test ground first at approx 0930, finished by 1000 but it was close to 1300 by the time we all left, (we arrived together we were dismissed together) I imagine that's the reason for groups of 6... It'd be unreasonable to test someone so ealrly and ask them to hang around any later, likewise it'd be unfair to ask someone to arrive at 0830 and not test them till the afternoon.... Regards paperwork your guess is as good as mine, there was another Dave being tested on Mon too, HQ will be full of us ðŸ˜႒

david-d wrote: »
    I was out on the test ground first at approx 0930, finished by 1000 but it was close to 1300 by the time we all left, (we arrived together we were dismissed together) I imagine that's the reason for groups of 6... It'd be unreasonable to test someone so ealrly and ask them to hang around any later, likewise it'd be unfair to ask someone to arrive at 0830 and not test them till the afternoon.... Regards paperwork your guess is as good as mine, there was another Dave being tested on Mon too, HQ will be full of us ðŸ˜႒

HQ will have a dave on every watch lol! What did you think was the hardest part of the cpat david-d? Been doing a fair bit of training for it myself over the past few weeks hopefully all will go well!

Dave087 wrote: »
    HQ will have a dave on every watch lol! What did you think was the hardest part of the cpat david-d? Been doing a fair bit of training for it myself over the past few weeks hopefully all will go well!

Hardest part of cpat is equipment carry, no question. The other 5exams are surprisingly handy, however if you put the effort in you'll be fine it's really just a matter of training for it. Also the fire gear fits pretty well so although it can be heavy it doesn't hinder your movement best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

david-d wrote: »
    Hardest part of cpat is equipment carry, no question. The other 5exams are surprisingly handy, however if you put the effort in you'll be fine it's really just a matter of training for it. Also the fire gear fits pretty well so although it can be heavy it doesn't hinder your movement best of luck with it

What exactly was involved in cpat ?

Grahamfire wrote: »
    What exactly was involved in cpat ?

Manual dexterity test- unscrewing/screwing nuts and bolts from one side of a table to the other in under 2mins

Casualty evacuation- drag a 55kg dummy 30 metres in under 30seconds

Acrophobia test- climb a ladder 2stories high, look to the base of ladder and read an a4 sized number no time restrictions on this

Ladder extension test-fully extend a 3stage ladder in under 10seconds

Claustrophobia test- crawl through a completely darkened tunnel and locate & recover an infant sized doll in under 2mins

Equipment carry test- basically 6 x 100metre runs carrying different equitmemnt weighing approx 30kgs, this is to be completed as fast as you can and in no more than 5mins

All tests are completed in full fire kit

David foor the acrophobia one did you have to do a leg lock at the top and let go and read the letter ?

David foor the acrophobia one did you have to do a leg lock at the top and let go and read the letter ?

No the instructions were, "in you're own time, climb the ladder and when you get approx two stories up I'll say stop, I'll then tell you to look over either your left of right shoulder and read a number from ground level, we just want to see confidence ascending and descending the ladder"

you have a harness on in case the worst should happen

The leg lock was got rid of about 5/6 years ago. Back then you'd have to let go of the ladder and lean back, look over your shoulder to see the card.

Now as said above its done with a harness keep 4 points of contact with feet and hands

Thats great lads. Thank you for getting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭JDigweed

What's it like running in the turnout gear?? I take you have the boots an all on??

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Choppy1916

Wonder how long before first class train as firefighters?

Is that when 2nd ESC class start ?

No Choppy pretty sure the 2 nd class will be going training for the ESC in early next. I bleeding well hope they are as I am booked in for the 2nd class !!

By my understanding the ESCs will do 2 years in control room and then go ff training pass out and go operational.

Does anyone know, do we pass out as ESC ? Or is that FF only that you pass out ?

No Choppy pretty sure the 2 nd class will be going training for the ESC in early next. I bleeding well hope they are as I am booked in for the 2nd class !!

By my understanding the ESCs will do 2 years in control room and then go ff training pass out and go operational.

Does anyone know, do we pass out as ESC ? Or is that FF only that you pass out ?

Full pass out is for after full firefighter training

• Advertisement

Cheers Chungwun

Chungwun wrote: »

Full pass out is for after full firefighter training

Thats not true, I passed out after the physical :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Flipflop2013

Lads, does anyone know a timeframe for the 2nd/3rd class? I'm in the late 20's on the panel and just wondering about if it will happen?

Lads, does anyone know a timeframe for the 2nd/3rd class? I'm in the late 20's on the panel and just wondering about if it will happen?

I'd say your best bet would be to ring HR, they're very helpful with enquires like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Choppy1916

So we're starting 17th October. See everyone then. It's getting real now .

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reddington

cant wait, it's s long time coming

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

Congrats lads. Best of Luck to all

All the best lads hopefully me and Jim Royle won't be too far behind you all in class 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reddington

Thanks lads fair play, if I here anything about next class starting I will let you guys know ASAP

• Advertisement

Well lads how did yous all get on yesterday ?

Advertisement