Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novel for kids age 9-11 to enjoy in school

Options
  • 04-07-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am a school teacher and each year I look for a new or different novel to do with my class that will generate great interest in the class with boys and girls alike

I like to do a novel that appeals to all, creates great oral discussions in class and gives great opportunity for free writing and other classroom tasks or activities, i.e. other genres of writing - character profiles, interviews, predictions, questions to ask after doing chapter, drama, role play

I would love some new novel suggestions maybe that your child done at 4th or 5th class and thought it was brilliant or you yourself a book that will just grab their attention at this age.

Thanks again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

We read a book called the Silver Sword by Ian Serralier when I was in 5th or 6th class.Its about a family who get separated by the holocaust, I thought it was very good.

The Ghost by The Sea by Eileen Dunlop.I got it for Christmas once and remember enjoying it alot.I Think it might be suitable for that age group.

Anything by Roald Dahl would be good for children of that age I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Oldstyle1

DDM,

I've done The Silver Sword with a previous class of mine and like yourself they loved it.

I will def check out the Ghost by the Sea. Thanks for those recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Two very high profile books from recent years will certainly provide you with plenty of opportunity for really good discussion particularly if you have an interest in History. Boy in the striped pyjamas and War Horse. You've got both World Wars, human rights issues by the bucketload and two really great stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ms. Regina Phalange

If you want to try something new, "Wonder" by R.J. Palacio. It's a story about a 10 year old who has a facial disfigurement attending school for the first time (he was homeschooled before). I think this would make a great book for studying in schools as there so much that children would love about this story and a great moral message at the heart of the story, especially since bullying tends to be rampant at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mareliada

Have u come across Jacqueline Wilson books? Very interesting real life topics for kids that will generate thoughts and discussions that will create awareness of many social issues affecting children everyday in every walk of life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

There's a great series called Lovecraft Middle School from Quirk Books they're a little dark but good fun and they have amazing 3D covers.
    www.lovecraftmiddleschool.com

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭wantacookie

At that age, I was reading the likes of Harry Potter, The Hobbit and His Dark Materials (Phillip Pullman). I loved them now and have reread them multiple times since then. They should be something everyone reads growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

At that age, I was reading the likes of Harry Potter, The Hobbit and His Dark Materials (Phillip Pullman). I loved them now and have reread them multiple times since then. They should be something everyone reads growing up.

^These are good choices for kids that age (though I'm not a big Potter fan myself)

There's also a great Madeline L'Engle series I read at about that age. The books are A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I enjoyed Lemony Snicket's 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' very much (as an adult). Wonderful use of language and pace, great opportunity for escapism. There are 13 books in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

My teacher in fourth class read us so many books - The ones i loved the most were

Stig of the Dump - by Clive King http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stig-Dump-Puffin-Modern-Classics/dp/0141329696/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375268423&sr=1-2&keywords=stig+of+the+dump

The Winter of Enchantment - by Victoria Walker http://www.amazon.co.uk/Winter-Enchantment-Victoria-Walker/dp/0955191076/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375268458&sr=1-1&keywords=the+winter+of+enchantment

Everyone in our class loved these stories. I remember racing down to the bookshop to buy Winter of Enchantment after my teacher had finished reading it to us. I just couldn't wait to read it again. I actually wrote to my 4th class teacher a few years ago congratulating him on being such a great teacher and a lot of that had to do with his reading choices!

ETA - the ones he read us that I hated were - Under the HAwthorn Tree ( Jesus, slit your wrists stuff - so depressing) and all those Run Swift Run Free ones by Tom McCaughren - so boring!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd second the "His Dark Materials" (Phillip Pullman) trilogy. Fantastic books.

The first book is the easiest read for a child, and by then they'll be so hooked into the world(s) that they'll be ready for the more weighty subsequent books.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Watership Down by Richard Adams is fantastic.

The Hobbit is brilliant and of course, topical thanks to the (awful) Hollywood treatment.

Another good book is Black Harvest by Ann Pilling. This one has an Irish theme to it too. Very well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

mareliada wrote: »
    Have u come across Jacqueline Wilson books? Very interesting real life topics for kids that will generate thoughts and discussions that will create awareness of many social issues affecting children everyday in every walk of life
    I find her books very anti-men. I would be very slow as a teacher to produce them to a class. I'd definitely second the suggestion of Wonder. Very thought provoking and should appeal to boys as well as girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Dades wrote: »
    I'd second the "His Dark Materials" (Phillip Pullman) trilogy. Fantastic books.

The first book is the easiest read for a child, and by then they'll be so hooked into the world(s) that they'll be ready for the more weighty subsequent books.

Agree also, I would suggest Lyra's Oxford as an introduction for younger readers. Much smaller book to digest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

How about "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". Good discussion topics for the kids about people being different etc.
    Would it be too much for young kids though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Has anyone ever read Journey to Jo'Burg by Beverley Naidoo?

I've seen it recommended as a text for Fourth Class, and I'm thinking of using it in my class. I don't have a copy of it at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

i think the Harry Potter books like someone said above are a good idea, they're that not hard and they'd give you a lot to work with - who's your favourite character, what's your favourite subject, etc. Then you after you finish them you could have a movie day and maybe show one or two of the films and trust me the kids would love you for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

I agree with people who mentioned Harry Potter and the His Dark Materials book series- wonderful books and I they are still among my favourites :)

I also loved the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snickett when I was in primary school. Funnily enough though I never got to read the last 2 books of the series (despite owning the first 11). So I am pretty sure I am gonna go buy the last 2 soon so I can find out what happened :L

The Edge Chronicles is a series of books which I still love which I would be suitable for that age. Really imaginative fantasy series which is made up of 3 trilogies and a final book which brings the series to a close. The books are also magnificently illustrated. Even though I am 19 I re-read all of the books like 2 years ago and still loved them because of the sheer creativity!

Goodnight Mr Tom by Michelle Magorian, Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah, Anne Frank's Diary, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, and Under The Hawthorn Tree (and the other 2 books in the series) are other books I remember reading and enjoying when I was in primary school.

To the person who mentioned The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime- I know I read that when I was in primary school, and loved it. But to be fair there is quite a bit of swearing in that from what I remember. It didn't bother me in the slightest, but some parents might not be too thrilled to find their 9-11 year olds reading it because of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Galaxie

There's a childrens story about Tom Creane, the Artic explorer. Called Tom Creane:The Ice Man I think. I did it with a 4th class and they loved it, makes a great stimulus for drama/SESE as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'd also recommend Philip Pullman he has done many shorter books the 9 year age group would enjoy, His Dark Materials may be more suited to 11 up - I'm only saying that because I read it as an adult. My childhood favourites where C.S Lewis - The Magician's Nephew the first in the series of Narnia books is a great read and often overlooked - Tolkien, Hobbit from 7up and of course the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, all though that may take you all year! I also enjoyed Lewis Carroll as a child, Alice Through the looking Glass, and Alice in Wonderland and of course his many poems are great imagination boosts! I also loved Richard Adams although both Watership Down and The Plague Dogs are extremely sentimental.

Just read 'Noah's Child' by Eric Emmanuel Schmitt another war time book but told through the eyes of a ten year old boy, you should check it over first to see if it's suitable for the age group, a lovely read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

We did the Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier in 5th class. That was 1995 and I remember it well to this day. There would be some interesting talking points for kids about issues raised in the book.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I'd also recommend Philip Pullman he has done many shorter books the 9 year age group would enjoy, His Dark Materials may be more suited to 11 up - I'm only saying that because I read it as an adult. My childhood favourites where C.S Lewis - The Magician's Nephew the first in the series of Narnia books is a great read and often overlooked - Tolkien, Hobbit from 7up and of course the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, all though that may take you all year! I also enjoyed Lewis Carroll as a child, Alice Through the looking Glass, and Alice in Wonderland and of course his many poems are great imagination boosts! I also loved Richard Adams although both Watership Down and The Plague Dogs are extremely sentimental.

Just read 'Noah's Child' by Eric Emmanuel Schmitt another war time book but told through the eyes of a ten year old boy, you should check it over first to see if it's suitable for the age group, a lovely read.

The Hobbit would be good for some of the advanced 10/11 year olds. I don't think weaker children would be able to understand it enough to get interested. I think it'd be best for a teacher to read The Hobbit to the children at that age, as opposed to letting them read it themselves. Some would find it too difficult and then wander through the book and not even manage to read a single full page.

No way would an 11 year old be able to read LOTR, though. I read that when I was 14 and I was a very, very advanced reader. I struggled at some parts and it took me an absolute age. I wanted to read it though before the film so I just ploughed on. I can guarantee almost no one else in my year in school would have been able to read all three books in that length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

I remember reading 'Holes' by Louis Sachar in school at that age and my brother's class have just started it, he's in 5th class :)

Anything by Michael Morpurgo too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The Hobbit would be good for some of the advanced 10/11 year olds. I don't think weaker children would be able to understand it enough to get interested. I think it'd be best for a teacher to read The Hobbit to the children at that age, as opposed to letting them read it themselves. Some would find it too difficult and then wander through the book and not even manage to read a single full page.

No way would an 11 year old be able to read LOTR, though. I read that when I was 14 and I was a very, very advanced reader. I struggled at some parts and it took me an absolute age. I wanted to read it though before the film so I just ploughed on. I can guarantee almost no one else in my year in school would have been able to read all three books in that length of time.

I obviously misread the original OP I thought they were looking for books to.read to the class. I read Hobbit at 9 just around the same time my sister serialised LOTR each week for us! Yes it would be a tall order to read for 9+ but not 12 surely? Then I read anything I could find as a teenager even books that were far from suitable :)

Pretzill wrote: »
    I obviously misread the original OP I thought they were looking for books to.read to the class. I read Hobbit at 9 just around the same time my sister serialised LOTR each week for us! Yes it would be a tall order to read for 9+ but not 12 surely? Then I read anything I could find as a teenager even books that were far from suitable :)

LOTR would be a stretch for any 12 year old - exceptional or not. There are so many characters in it, even in the opening few pages that they would get confused, I think.

They could probably read the words because it's not a terribly flowery book. It gets technical at times (with names and the like) but they should recognise most words.

They would almost certainly not have a clue what is going on in the story though. The goal of reading should be too understand, and they wouldn't be able to do that with LOTR. There is too much going on for them to take it all in.
    ‘Well, so they say,’ said the Gaffer. ‘You see: Mr. Drogo, he married poor Miss Primula Brandybuck. She was our Mr. Bilbo’s first cousin on the mother’s side (her mother being the youngest of the Old Took’s daughters); and Mr. Drogo was his second cousin. So Mr. Frodo is his first and second cousin, once removed either way, as the saying is, if you follow me. And Mr. Drogo was staying at Brandy Hall with his father-in-law, old Master Gorbadoc, as he often did after his marriage (him being partial to his vittles, and old Gorbadoc keeping a mighty generous table); and he went out boating on the Brandywine River; and he and his wife were drownded, and poor Mr. Frodo only a child and all.’

Take the above passage. I had to read it twice to take that in. It's quite difficult in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Sharon mc

Some of David Walliams books are great for that age group. Not sure they are novels as such but they are modern and funny which always gets kids attention. They can also be thought provoking, poverty issues, death of mum, dad remarried, difficulties with stepmum, bullying in school, dad drinking... Plenty of topical subjects. My son aged 10 absolutely loves them, and we have shared a tear or two over the sadder ones.

Advertisement