Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

test ram and graphics?

Options
  • 04-07-2013 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

i've been getting the BSOD(50 fault in non page area) sometimes when booting

i think it's the graphics card as there's little dots on the scrren and some letters are misspelt during boot

i already swapped the ram out and around so it's not that

is there a way to diagnose it or fix it?

graphics is a 7900 gs and machine is a dell core2duoe6400

does dell have diagnostics for machines?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

i've been getting the BSOD(50 fault in non page area) sometimes when booting

i think it's the graphics card as there's little dots on the scrren and some letters are misspelt during boot

i already swapped the ram out and around so it's not that

is there a way to diagnose it or fix it?

graphics is a 7900 gs and machine is a dell core2duoe6400

does dell have diagnostics for machines?

thanks

Does it happen all the time or intermittently? My advice would be to buy the cheapest graphics card you can find on adverts and see if that fixes the problem.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/computers/desktop-hardware/graphics-cards/499/sortby_price-asc

Some of the cards can be gotten for less than €10. Probably the easiest way to diagnose the problem.

I could be wrong (as I am no expert) but it doesn't sound like a gpu issue. I wouldn't have thought the gpu would make things be spelt wrong. That sounds more like missing information (possibly HDD is failing). Although in saying that, the dots does sound like a gpu issue so I don't really know what to tell you. You can run HDD diagnostics anyway by running the chkdsk command.

Just open up cmd and type:
    chkdsk /f c:

This will ask you to run the diagnostics the next time you restart your computer. You can also do:
    chkdsk /r c:

This will try to fix the HDD as well as diagnose it (could take a lot longer though). It could be a case where your HDD is failing altogether. Run this utility first. If it comes up with nothing then look into the gpu. That would be my advice.

Regards,
    Sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

i ran bluescreenview diagnostic

it's showing the graphics driver as crashing the pc during bootup

i already checked ram and hd

unfortunately when i uninstall the drivers they are -reinstalling automatically when i reboot

i already tried to do a nvidia install over the existing drivers but that fails too

the dots and misspelt words during boot makes me think its graphics hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Is there onboard graphics on the motherboard you could use if you removed the graphics card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

seems to be a driver issue

ieventually managed to upgrade and all well since

that bsod program is very useful

Advertisement