Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert spanish

Options
  • 04-07-2013 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi I am just finished a college degree and have always regretted not learning spanish as I love the language. As I am finished in school I am wondering is it possible to study Spanish from beginner to leaving cert level outside of a school etc. and to sit the exam when ready?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ILikeFriday

dorito92 wrote: »
    Hi I am just finished a college degree and have always regretted not learning spanish as I love the language. As I am finished in school I am wondering is it possible to study Spanish from beginner to leaving cert level outside of a school etc. and to sit the exam when ready?

You can sit any Leaving Cert subject as an external candidate, meaning you do not have to be attending a school. There is a little bit of admin in applying to the department to sit the exam, and arranging a centre to sit it at, usually a school, but it could be an adult education organization etc.

Then there's the question of tuition. The leaving cert is a very specific type of exam and you would probably need to get grinds from a school teacher who had experience teaching the syllabus to be prepared properly for it. This makes me wonder if its really your best option. If you took adult Spanish lessons at night, for example, you might have more options. If you wanted some sort of certification to prove you can speak Spanish at the end, there are nearly always a variety of exams to verify competence in a language. A little research will tell you which are the most respected. The only reason I can think of for confining yourself to the leaving cert route, is if you wanted to study Spanish at university in the future and needed it as an entry requirement.

Now that I think of it, if you live anywhere near a university, they often offer languages courses at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

Thanks for your reply. I was looking at courses in my area and they are fetac level 3. looking at the course outline though it look like its all spoken spanish whereas i was hoping for a mix e.g spanish verbs, structure and spoken which is all covered in the junior/leaving cert cycles, but if anyone has done spanish fetac level 3 please comment as I am not sure what the course includes.

Advertisement