Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glassesdirect.co.uk

Options
  • 04-07-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/price/24:59/?utm_source=hse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email

glasses for 15£ inclusive of lenses (basic ones) and free delivery
    works out about 18euro

They did ask me for a scan of my prescription in a follow up email.

Couldn't say no them, especially with the baby pulling the glasses off only a matter of time before she breaks them, good to have a spare pair.

Or 2 pairs for 25£

I went for glasses that were 75 then reduced to 25 and then with the the code tryus for 15 pounds.

not too shabby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Should try goggles4u. Works out less than €10 for a pair or about 12 including a coating, they usually have free glasses now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Jet Black wrote: »
    Should try goggles4u. Works out less than €10 for a pair or about 12 including a coating, they usually have free glasses now and again.
    Are they based in America? How long is delivery normally?

Haven't ordered from them in a while, usually takes a month. They were shipped from asia iirc. May have changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joehc

I ordered from www.whatglasses.com Irish online glasses company. Shipped within 3days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

you're all well behind the bargain/glasses times... http://www.zennioptical.com/ is where the value is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

joehc wrote: »
    I ordered from www.whatglasses.com Irish online glasses company. Shipped within 3days.

Prices up around €100. Not seeing a bargain here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i know this has been asked before but what exactly do i need to order glasses from these websites.in other words what do i ask specsavers for?

Get an eye test and ask for your prescription. You will have to measure you PD yourself but its easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joehc

€100 gets you 2 pairs of glasses.. I have a very high prescription and these are the cheapest for thin down lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

joehc wrote: »
    €100 gets you 2 pairs of glasses.. I have a very high prescription and these are the cheapest for thin down lens.

I was -8 in both eyes with huge astigmatisms (before laser) and I bought a lot of pairs of glasses, zenni is by far the cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

odddavey wrote: »
    http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/price/24:59/?utm_source=hse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email

glasses for 15£ inclusive of lenses (basic ones) and free delivery
    works out about 18euro

They did ask me for a scan of my prescription in a follow up email.

Couldn't say no them, especially with the baby pulling the glasses off only a matter of time before she breaks them, good to have a spare pair.

Or 2 pairs for 25£

I went for glasses that were 75 then reduced to 25 and then with the the code tryus for 15 pounds.

not too shabby
    I have ordered from them many times over the last five years and got great prices and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

How do you size glasses online to make sure they fit properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭peejay1986

How do you size glasses online to make sure they fit properly?

This would be my concern also.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

peejay1986 wrote: »
    This would be my concern also.

I ordered online before and the glasses didn't fit me properly. I'd prefer Specsavers where I can try them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

It's seriously easy to measure yourself up for frames.

Take out all of your old glasses and pick out the best fitting frames. the most comfortable ones. Best bet it to shortlist 2 or 3.

Take out your ruler and measure:

bridge length
    lens width
    lens height - (especially if you need varifocals/progressives)
    frame width
    temple length

Once you have these measurements, pick a frame that suits all of these measurements within a couple of mm.

Most of the online sites grade their frames into sizes, so don't choose frames that aren't your size.

The rest is plain sailing. Get your optician to do your PD if you can, if not do it yourself in front of the mirror, then get a friend do do it and compare results.

I did this a couple of months ago for the first time and i honestly have to say that the frames I got from Zenni are the most comfortable glasses I've ever had, and believe me I've used many an opticians over the years, cheap and expensive. I got varifocals for €38. No more bricks and mortar shops for me. It's a no brainer.

The only thing I'll say is - do the measurements a few times - then take the best average. you can't do wrong.

Advertisement