Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Rating question

Options
  • 04-07-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My wife and I are applying for a mortgage.

We have a 8 year record of paying a mortgage (together) and I had 4 years before this. No payments ever late or missed.

We always paid car loans on time and cleared most recent ones early so no debt.

We have no credit card debt.

However my wife has a small credit card (talking 300 here.) She sometimes forgets to run into the bank and make the payment then does so and pays in full.

This seems to be showing up as affecting our credit rating and the bank have raised it. How much of an issue do you think this will be in terms of getting a mortgage and how long if we set up a DD (done) will it appear as normal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 concernedalot

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ok if payments have been missed this will be recorded on the ICB and will remain on record there for 6 years. Any bad record on ICB will have an impact on a mortgage application. You should clear the small balance and show the bank its all cleared. May help.

chris85 wrote: »
    Ok if payments have been missed this will be recorded on the ICB and will remain on record there for 6 years. Any bad record on ICB will have an impact on a mortgage application. You should clear the small balance and show the bank its all cleared. May help.

Thanks, that's all been done and the balance has always been cleared but sometimes a bit late. Nothing major, small amounts and admin errors but just nervous it's going to jeopardise everything !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Thanks, that's all been done and the balance has always been cleared but sometimes a bit late. Nothing major, small amounts and admin errors but just nervous it's going to jeopardise everything !

Ok well if the payment is over 30 days late it gets recorded on the ICB, no way to remove this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

My wife and I are applying for a mortgage.

We have a 8 year record of paying a mortgage (together) and I had 4 years before this. No payments ever late or missed.

We always paid car loans on time and cleared most recent ones early so no debt.

We have no credit card debt.

However my wife has a small credit card (talking 300 here.) She sometimes forgets to run into the bank and make the payment then does so and pays in full.

This seems to be showing up as affecting our credit rating and the bank have raised it. How much of an issue do you think this will be in terms of getting a mortgage and how long if we set up a DD (done) will it appear as normal

It will be viewed in the overall context of your application. If you have been paying rent & saving consistently each month the bank will have the cop on to see that this is just an oversight as opposed to a credit risk. While I'm not surprised they raised the issue (as they'll have to note the file with an explanation) you simply tell them that you have been saving consistently all along and that the late/missed payment was simply an oversight on your wifes and that there was sufficient funds in all accounts to clear it in full at any stage. This issue on it's own won't negatively effect your chances of mortgage approval.

• Advertisement

killers1 wrote: »
    It will be viewed in the overall context of your application. If you have been paying rent & saving consistently each month the bank will have the cop on to see that this is just an oversight as opposed to a credit risk. While I'm not surprised they raised the issue (as they'll have to note the file with an explanation) you simply tell them that you have been saving consistently all along and that the late/missed payment was simply an oversight on your wifes and that there was sufficient funds in all accounts to clear it in full at any stage. This issue on it's own won't negatively effect your chances of mortgage approval.

Thank you . It's on DD now so won't happen again and yes we have been saving and paying mortgage so I would have thought that those oversights would be small beer but who knows

Advertisement