Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are cats allowed on public buses?

• 04-07-2013 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I'm posting this because I've come accross a case where a lady has a sick cat and lives in a rural area with no nearby vet. She travels into town on a bus but has been told she cannot bring the cat, even in a cat carrier. I don't know who told her that, a member of the public or a bus driver. I've checked CIE's website but there's no mention of cats anywhere on it. :D

Anyway, I'm one of these people who just like to know, for definite. So, has anybody heard. Can you bring cats on a public bus?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I would imagine it's the same as bringing a dog on the bus, very much at the bus driver's discretion. I had to bring my dog on the bus for a check up so put his buster collar back on him, driver to the vets had no problem, driver home had to be persuaded, thankfully a 2 year old child adds to the image, woman + terrier with lampshade on + 2 year old child in buggy = maximum pity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LuckyLoki

She wouldn't be heavy on the charm unfortunately. :)
    That's why I was trying to see if there was a clear answer, one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

See towards the end of this page http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/public_transport/bus_services_in_ireland.html

it says that the policy is that animals are allowed on at drivers discretion, I think that's as official an answer as you're going to get :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If its Bus Eireann which it would be in a rural area no dogs cats or any other animal (apart from guide dogs) are allowed full stop unfortunately.

Thank you! That is brilliant! At least now I know the policy and it might be a matter of getting someone with a little more 'charm' to intervene for her, or finding out if one driver on that route might be more animal friendly than others. It's not a definite no and that's leaves manoeuvre room. Delighted! :)

• Advertisement

Oh maggie, you have crushed my high! Damn .

LuckyLoki wrote: »
    Oh maggie, you have crushed my high! Damn .

sorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

I still think it's worth asking the drivers as before - I've been on plenty of rural trains with dogs, once a lovely young black lab unfortunately without a collar! he was well behaved though... but clearly the guards at the station saw him get on and weren't bothered! I've brought my cats on dublin bus plenty of times as I don't drive.
    Have you thought about taxis? or asking if anyone who lives local would give them a lift as a favour?

The lack of charm is a problem. :)
    Taxi could be a solution but a very expensive one. The bus would be so convenient but it looks like a non runner now. Such a pity as a cat in a carrier isn't much of an issue.

She could try putting the cat carrier into a shopping bag with holes and cough every time it meows;-)

• Advertisement

maggiepip wrote: »
    She could try putting the cat carrier into a shopping bag with holes and cough every time it meows;-)

If only she would . :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I sneak my dog on the bus all the time(and a few train journeys and taxis) - he's pretty tiny and just goes in to his carrier(which looks just like a regular bag). If the cat is quiet enough, maybe you could persuade her to do that?

The cat's not quiet. It miaows constantly when it's in the carrier. Oh well, I tried. :)

Advertisement