Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

company used my idea with no recognition

Options
  • 04-07-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

i work for a phone company and a few weeks ago, we were all asked to come up with ideas to change and improve it. i came up with a very good idea and recently found out that the company is now using the idea i came up with. however they didnt even so much as thank me for the idea. should i be entitled to be paid for my idea which could potentially make this company a lot of money? what should i do about this?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

assuming you signed the standard contract, you'll find if you read it that the company owns pretty much every little creative thought you have, company related or not, doubtful you have a leg to stand on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

The company asked for ideas and you chose to give one. They implemented the idea. I can't see what the issue is here other than bad people management as it would have been good of them to at least acknowledge your contribution. But unless you had patented your idea or protected it as intellectual property you are not entitled to any form of payment for it.

If you continue with that attitude, or worse, voice this at work you will be doing yourself no favours

Instead approach your manager. Tell him you are delighted and flattered that your idea has been so well received and implemented. Then ask if it would be possible for something to be put on your personnel record noting a concept you had was implemented by management. Tell him it is something you are proud of and definitely something you want to include in your CV in the future. You can fudge and say that the reason you'd like it noted is in case he moves on at least it will be on the record for any new manager to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Honestly, I don't think there's any harm in this situation in asking for a pay rise of sorts.

If they ask why you think you are worth more money you tell them that they used YOUR idea which could make them heaps of money and you'll continue to come up with money making ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

leyton wrote: »
    i work for a phone company and a few weeks ago, we were all asked to come up with ideas to change and improve it. i came up with a very good idea and recently found out that the company is now using the idea i came up with. however they didnt even so much as thank me for the idea. should i be entitled to be paid for my idea which could potentially make this company a lot of money? what should i do about this?
    thanks

O too be in your position :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I know a guy who made almost quarter of a million submitting his idea - he was savvy how he went about it though. On the other end of the scale the story goes that the guy that invented the Frapachino got a watch from Starbucks for his.

Anecdotes aside - what else did you think was going to happen? What does your contract say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

I know a guy who made almost quarter of a million submitting his idea - he was savvy how he went about it though. On the other end of the scale the story goes that the guy that invented the Frapachino got a watch from Starbucks for his.

Anecdotes aside - what else did you think was going to happen? What does your contract say?

It was a Rolex plus a car, plus cash.

infosys wrote: »
    It was a Rolex plus a car, plus cash.

Anywhere even near 0.01% of revenue generated I wonder? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Anywhere even near 0.01% of revenue generated I wonder? :D

Hey I would mix up a drink that's crap that makes my employer millions for a car, the Rolex I already have lol.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've had numerous contracts, the most restrictive of which claimed all my personal ideas as theirs to ones claiming none.

In your case I'd suggest you responded to a company initiative, and it has been taken up.

I did something similar in a company with a 50 euro prize and that was it if your idea was taken up.

Your reward is the ongoing growth of the company, the securement of your position, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jimboy2011

Blue peter badge on the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I agree that the company missed an opportunity to provide you with some positive recognition by acknowledging your positive contribution.

But, to be honest, it is really the responsibility of every employee to offer suggestions on how their company can do things better. It is in your interest that the company is efficient and profitable, these are the factors that ensure your job security and future pay increases.

There are many people that would be love to be asked to contribute ideas, as it shows that the company recognizes that employees have more to give than just their labor.

There is a quote "With every pair of hands, you get a free brain" so any company that does not tap this resource is wasting a lot of their employees potential.

But while they should at least give you recognition of your idea among your peers, there is no requirement to give you any financial benefit from your idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

Any more info on this - thats pretty vague - I'm in the mood to hunt this one down now as it was one of those rumors in Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Maybe take it to PM?

Advertisement