Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBA SP ags-101

Options
  • 04-07-2013 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Looking for a gba sp, the ags-101 model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been looking into something really interesting lately (actually I missed one on ebay the other day as I was in the cinema! :()

The original GBA (remember the one without a backlight?) but modded with AGS 101 screens. They look amazing. The form of the original GBA was much more comfortable than the SP.

Like this one. So sexy!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Back-Light-ags-101-GBA-Console-Fantastic-new-back-lit-lcd-screen-fitted-/130928670313?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item1e7bf4f669

Actually here's one even cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BACKLIGHT-NINTENDO-GAME-BOY-ADVANCE-GBA-FOUR-COLORS-RESTORED-PERFORMANCE-/261213042412?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3cd182b6ec

Edit - I think that last one may be a GBA clone.. hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

I actually came across the first one earlier. A little expensive but very very nice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    The original GBA (remember the one without a backlight?) but modded with AGS 101 screens. They look amazing. The form of the original GBA was much more comfortable than the SP.

Like this one. So sexy!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Back-Light-ags-101-GBA-Console-Fantastic-new-back-lit-lcd-screen-fitted-/130928670313?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item1e7bf4f669

Was really tempted to buy one of them after checking out that link. Struggling to justify the price though since I can play GBA games on the DS Lite which has a great screen. Only advantage I can see is having a clearer screen for GB and GBC games?

Master of the Universe

Yeah we're far passed needing one now. But I dunno, I've always just really liked the GBA design...bit of a novelty finally having one with a playable screen :)

The second link is a lot cheaper, I'm just trying to figure out if it's a clone or not. He says he's put on a 'newly installed shell' (which to me means it might be a clone) but the price is very tempting.

However, the guy in the first link (with the more expensive ones) mentions the option of having a new shell included - so maybe the cheaper one is a real GBA?

Yeah we're far passed needing one now. But I dunno, I've always just really liked the GBA design...bit of a novelty finally having one with a playable screen :)

The second link is a lot cheaper, I'm just trying to figure out if it's a clone or not. He says he's put on a 'newly installed shell' (which to me means it might be a clone) but the price is very tempting.

However, the guy in the first link (with the more expensive ones) mentions the option of having a new shell included - so maybe the cheaper one is a real GBA?

Moment of weakness and bought one from the first link last night, second link looked a bit dodge to me. I dug out the cube and remembered I had a lovely CIB GB Player I got from Steve. Fabulous device but some of my GB and GBA games didn't work so said feck it and bought the modded GBA. Hopefully it's as good as it looks in the video, I'm expecting modded Nomad levels of awesomeness. :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Excellent!! :)

Looking forward to hearing the results.

Excellent!! :)

Looking forward to hearing the results.

Get in. Parcel Motel status says Checked In @ 13:22 in Belfast. Should get down here later tonight hopefully. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

The old gba is a lot more substantial in your hands alright. Anybody remember the afterburners you could get for them years back, never took the jump myself. I saw one fitted and it just looked as if there was a lot of dust sandwiched between the screen and the light. This could have been down to it being badly fitted but these look far superior with the screen mod.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What a bunch of wusses!
    The GBA is one the best redesigns of a console EVA!
    It's beautiful, a wonderful design and has never hurt my manly hands.
    My only memories of the original GBA is of the need to play it at noon, on Mercury, to see the gameplay.
    And it looked strictly old school too.
    No, real men own a GBA SP, gamers with that premium retro taste, with an appetite for the best will have an AGS-101.

The rest of you, go back to your guy-liner, hand moisturisers and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What a bunch of wusses!
    The GBA is one the best redesigns of a console EVA!
    It's beautiful, a wonderful design and has never hurt my manly hands.
    My only memories of the original GBA is of the need to play it at noon, on Mercury, to see the gameplay.
    And it looked strictly old school too.
    No, real men own a GBA SP, gamers with that premium retro taste, with an appetite for the best will have an AGS-101.

The rest of you, go back to your guy-liner, hand moisturisers and the like.

I take it you ran that post by she-who-must-be-obeyed?

• Advertisement

I never owned a GBA originally, got the lovely SP instead, but got one off someone here recently I think. Turned it on a few days back and my god the screen brightness is rubbish. I thought for a second it must have gotten worse over time but maybe not, don't know how folk put up with that crap back in the day. Even a non-modded Nomad screen is better.

The SP is class but as o1s1n mentioned the original GBA is better in the ergonomics department. Similar with the Micro, lovely machine but realistcally too small for any extended gameplay sessions (screen too small also). If the modded GBA is as good as suggested then I'm afraid it's a better unit that the AGS-101.

Still waiting on Parcel Motel to delivery mine - first time I've been disappointed by them - still in transit from Belfast since yesterday (normally 'in transit' arrives same day). Dude must be walking down backwards. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

EnterNow wrote: »
    I take it you ran that post by she-who-must-be-obeyed?

No, don't be ridiculous.
    She says I don't have to run everything by her....
    All I have to do is tell her what I want to do or type and she'll tell me if it's a good idea, or wrong....
    Now, if you'll excuse me, I've ironing to do....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement