Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jump to first unread post

Options
  • 04-07-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Howdy..

Is there some way I can set my preferences so that when I click on a thread, it automatically jumps to the newest post since I was last on the thread?
    I've seen this in other forums, and it's damn handy.

Cheers.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Click on the firstnew.gif (old skin) / [v] (new skin) icon beside the thread and it does that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Steve wrote: »
    Click on the firstnew.gif (old skin) / [v] (new skin) icon beside the thread and it does that. :)

Bingo.

Thanks very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That works if you select a thread in a forum but not if you're on a pc and following the threads via My Forums. If I click on a thread showing under My Forums on my android app it takes me to the first unread post, but if I do it from a pc it takes me to the first thread on the first page.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

athtrasna wrote: »
    That works if you select a thread in a forum but not if you're on a pc and following the threads via My Forums. If I click on a thread showing under My Forums on my android app it takes me to the first unread post, but if I do it from a pc it takes me to the first thread on the first page.

If you click on the number of posts on the right hand side it brings you to the first unread post, not the first post in the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lariesen

Hello. I'm a new user and when searching for the answer to my question, I came across this thread. I have a similar question. When I choose a thread to read, I want to read it in reverse chronological order. It helps in threads that have hundreds of posts that go back several years. I know I can click on "last" and then read backwards, but I would like to set a preference so that every thread I read comes up in newest-first order. Can it be done?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

lariesen wrote: »
    Hello. I'm a new user and when searching for the answer to my question, I came across this thread. I have a similar question. When I choose a thread to read, I want to read it in reverse chronological order. It helps in threads that have hundreds of posts that go back several years. I know I can click on "last" and then read backwards, but I would like to set a preference so that every thread I read comes up in newest-first order. Can it be done?

Thanks!

Hi,

Welcome to Boards.ie. I'm sorry to say that sorting a thread in reverse chronological order is not a feature we have here so the only way you can do what you want is the workaround you describe of clicking last and then working your way back.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lariesen

Thank you Danny. On the bright side, I now don't feel stupid for failing to find the obvious way to set this preference!

lariesen wrote: »
    Thank you Danny. On the bright side, I now don't feel stupid for failing to find the obvious way to set this preference!

Happy to help. If you have any more questions feel free to drop into the Newbies & FAQ forum where you'll find answers to many other questions and a bunch of people only too happy to help you out with something that you can't find or can't figure out :)

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

miamee wrote: »
    If you click on the number of posts on the right hand side it brings you to the first unread post, not the first post in the thread :)

That used to work but now the post number is no longer hyperlinked?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

athtrasna wrote: »
    That used to work but now the post number is no longer hyperlinked?

I noticed that it is no longer working, is it gone for good or just a glitch ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yabadabado wrote: »
    I noticed that it is no longer working, is it gone for good or just a glitch ?

bump
    this problem still not resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

bump

It's the weekend, the office team do not work weekends. Updates were made to the front page as you can read here. One of the changes includes introducing a downward-facing arrow underneath a thread name when you have unread posts to view. Clicking that arrow will bring you to the oldest unread post. The post count is no longer a link, no point in having two links that do the same thing I suppose.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

bump
    Like most offices, we open Monday to Friday only. Please do not bump threads that haven't been answered over the weekend - we will get to them on Monday.

As TouchingVirus has kindly pointed out, you can get to the next unread post by clicking on the downward arrow under the thread title or get to the last post by clicking on the right-facing arrow next to the last posters name under the 'Latest Post' column.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Hello.

This down arrow to first unread post isn't working for me.

I just went into a random, new, long thread to try it out. So here's what happened:

just read page 1,
    clicked "follow thread",
    left the thread,
    went into "followed threads",
    clicked on the down arrow and it took me to page 27 :(

Am I doing something completely rubbish and wrong!?? This is happening on all the threads that I follow. The only way I have found to circumvent it thus far is to leave the thread open on my iPad so that I know where I am. But this means (shock, horror!!) I can't read that thread at work since it's open at home and I don't know where I am...

Anyway, the last bit is rambly... How do I get "new" threads to just open at the last post that I have read on that thread.

Thank you!

Hello.

This down arrow to first unread post isn't working for me.

I just went into a random, new, long thread to try it out. So here's what happened:

just read page 1,
    clicked "follow thread",
    left the thread,
    went into "followed threads",
    clicked on the down arrow and it took me to page 27 :(

Am I doing something completely rubbish and wrong!?? This is happening on all the threads that I follow. The only way I have found to circumvent it thus far is to leave the thread open on my iPad so that I know where I am. But this means (shock, horror!!) I can't read that thread at work since it's open at home and I don't know where I am...

Anyway, the last bit is rambly... How do I get "new" threads to just open at the last post that I have read on that thread.

Thank you!

When you open a thread you are assumed to proceed to read it in its entirety. There is no way we can tell what specific post you have scrolled to I'm afraid.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Thanks Danny but bummer anyway... :(

Advertisement