Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good City/Civilization Building Games

• 04-07-2013 7:57pm

Can anyone recommend me any good city/civilization building games that would be worth getting? Something that would involve building a settlement, creating an army, and unleashing Hell, pretty much.

I did play Sins of a Solar Empire before and while I enjoyed it, I wanted a bit more from it.

Oh and I should say for the PC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Civilisation V.

I'm just waiting for some sort of clinic to open so I can be saved from it's lure.

Anything non-turn based, I supposed. Have enjoyed the likes of Civilization before, but my attention span/patience isn't as good anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Bar the obvious, you could try one of the Paradox Interactive games. They've a couple of game series, but from what you are saying Europa Universalis III ( IV is out shortly) sounds closest to what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A bit obvious again but Total War?

There's no such thing as obvious answers - if they were obvious to me, then I wouldn't have asked!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The Anno seires might be worth a shot, its a city building strategy game, don't think there is much combat in it.

Company Of Heroes series is the best RTS on the market but not much base building, and its more of a tactics game but once you understand the mechanics its awesome.

Total War is probably most what fits your bill

Shogun 2 and the up coming Rome 2 should meet your needs exactly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ya anno 2070 maybe what your looking for,great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Rise of Nations is good craic. In the vein of Age of Empires only better!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

No army really....but..... Tropico 4 is good fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

There's no such thing as obvious answers - if they were obvious to me, then I wouldn't have asked!

:pac:

Have you played Total War then? Rome is the only one I've ever really gotten into but its got pretty much everything you're looking for, Civilization style city/empire building but with RTS combat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Age of Empires?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

This game isn't out yet, and I'm not sure it will include armies but its still something I've been interested in for a while and is along the lines of your description:

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?page_id=680

There are some good gameplay videos on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This game isn't out yet, and I'm not sure it will include armies but its still something I've been interested in for a while and is along the lines of your description:

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?page_id=680

There are some good gameplay videos on youtube.

:eek:
    that's looks really cool.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Endless Space is pretty good. Similar to Sins, but the combat is turn based. The exploration is pretty good though, with loads of random events and things that can happen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

company of heros 2 maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Settlers 7 is a very fun game for you so. It cam be bought very cheaply too.
    Build your village and then you got 3 ways of playing: military might, trade, religion/science.

the other game, which is not really military game, but more of sim is tropico 4. Fantastic game with great sense of humour.

Advertisement