Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia Pro Ceed "GT" Ridiculous Price

• 04-07-2013 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

So Kia's first offering in the "hot hatch" segment is a 1.6 litre Turbo , Pro Ceed pushing out 200BHP

It'll be on sale soon for .... wait for it ..... €36,000 :eek:

I must say, when the car was first announced it caught my attention as potentially being a cheap & cheerful, hot/lukewarm hatch - but now that the price has been confirmed, it is nothing more than just Laughable.

I mean for that money you could get yourself a MK7 Golf GTI with a 2.0 litre Turbo and 230BHP, or a Focus ST also with a 2.0 litre Turbo and 250BHP - basically established, proper "Hot hatches" with real pedigree (both of which are also significantly cheaper to tax with lower emissions than the Kia) - Not some cheap Korean company's first attempt at a hot (read: lukewarm) hatch that takes nearly 8 seconds to get to 100kmh!! (whereas Focus and Golf are both around 6.5 secs)

The Kia should really be going up against the likes of the Clio, Fiesta ST or new 208 GTI ... and even then, it would want to be significantly cheaper.

What were they thinking.

http://www.completecar.ie/testdrives/article/Kia/pro_cee%27d/pro_cee%27d_GT/618/2706

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Its just a halo model. Doesn't matter if nobody buys them if they sell a load of diesel ones.
    It is a bit pricey though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Its just a halo model. Doesn't matter if nobody buys them if they sell a load of diesel ones.
    It is a bit pricey though.

Yeah but diesel models aside, €36,000, realllly? When you could have a ST or a GTI, which will still have some residual value a few years down the line.

Compared to its competitors it is significantly inferior in everyway except for price.

Guess i'm just a little annoyed as I was expecting a nice affordable fun hatch at a reasonable Kia price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Makes an already unattractive car even more unattractive to myself anyhow.

Fact is they're just too late to this game, by the time they make something semi-decent it's already been done by all their competitors, then they have to charge silly prices to make the money back.

Silly Koreans....:pac:

At least the Hyundai veloster is unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ION08 wrote: »
    ... - Not some cheap Korean company's first attempt at a hot (read: lukewarm) hatch that takes nearly 8 seconds to get to 100kmh!! (whereas Focus and Golf are both around 6.5 secs)

I agree it's nuts. But I'd say by the time you spec up the base Golf GTI from it's €33,820, it'll be 6 of one/half-a-dozen of the other.......

And true, 5 years down the road they'll both have plummeted - at least with the KIA you'll have 2 more years of a warranty left, whilst with the VW you'd have been solo without cover for 3 years already............

An ex-demo one in 6 month's time would be an interesting proposition....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

It is indeed unusual alright, but I can't say I like the interior nor the looks which will date and have dated quickly already.

Well that was random!

ION08 wrote: »
    Well that was random!

Maybe I should have gone into more detail, on thinking about what you posted earlier, you'd be bonkers to buy one. It has no unique selling point, its inevitable that Hyundai and Kia are compared.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Folk here reckoned the Fiesta ST (1.6 turbo with similar power) was expensive. It's €10,000 cheaper than a Pro Ceed GT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It's cheaper than a GTI in the UK, more expensive here. There'll be one or two for promotional purposes and that's it. That's a bloody insane price for one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Focus ST (2.0 and 250bhp) starts at €36800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

We will probably get the carvan version :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's cheaper than a GTI in the UK, more expensive here.

I'm not surprised. Car manufacturers know well how to squeeze money out of gullible Irish buyers. Once word is out (in the pub) that they are a fantastic car, very reliable, great value for money and with a good warranty, the Irish buyer is ready to open his purse

Same scenario with the Honda Accord. Modestly priced in the UK (Toyota Avensis kinda level), but priced like a premium car in Ireland. Another car people here love :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    I'm not surprised. Car manufacturers know well how to squeeze money out of gullible Irish buyers.
    Or it could be the government trying to squeeze money out of Irish buyers with something called VRT.
    unkel wrote: »
    Once word is out (in the pub) that they are a fantastic car, very reliable, great value for money and with a good warranty, the Irish buyer is ready to open his purse
    The pro cee'd gt is obviously not value for money but most of the rest of what you say here is true of Kia's of late and is generally not ''pub'' talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Kia 175g co2
    GolfZzzzzz 139g

VRT kills another one

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Or it could be the government trying to squeeze money out of Irish buyers with something called VRT.

The pro cee'd gt is obviously not value for money but most of the rest of what you say here is true of Kia's of late and is generally not ''pub'' talk.

In all fairness I haven't seen any evidence that Kias are particularly reliable or unreliable... Not as good value as they used to be either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Folk here reckoned the Fiesta ST (1.6 turbo with similar power) was expensive. It's €10,000 cheaper than a Pro Ceed GT.

True but we're comparing hot hatches here, not hot supermini's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

166man wrote: »
    In all fairness I haven't seen any evidence that Kias are particularly reliable or unreliable... Not as good value as they used to be either

Skodas are not particularly cheap these days either. Hyundai and Kia used to be dirt cheap when they were using hand me down old generation Mitsubishi and Mazda parts and designs. These days they design and development is all done in-house. This costs money which inevitably is passed onto the consumer, just like Skoda these days. Traditional bargain brands have evolved allowing the likes of Dacia and Datsun to fill the void.

galwaytt wrote: »
    I agree it's nuts. But I'd say by the time you spec up the base Golf GTI from it's €33,820, it'll be 6 of one/half-a-dozen of the other.......

You don't have to spec up the Golf you can buy the GTI at the list price if you wish and even if you spec it up and pay more than the Kia, its comparing a Golf GTI to a Kia there is no comparison really.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    And true, 5 years down the road they'll both have plummeted - at least with the KIA you'll have 2 more years of a warranty left, whilst with the VW you'd have been solo without cover for 3 years already............

Golf will hold its value much much better than the Kia imo, even leaving aside the cheaper tax and better fuel economy (which will be a big deal in Ireland) no Kia is going to compete with a VW for resale value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

For four grand more you can have a GT86. I know which Id prefer...

• Advertisement

Jesus. wrote: »
    True but we're comparing hot hatches here, not hot supermini's.

Agreed. Check out Auto Express "Hot hatch of the Year" (scroll down the page a bit).

djimi wrote: »
    For four grand more you can have a GT86. I know which Id prefer...

Yeah :D

Agreed. Check

They say Fiesta best supermini and in the same sentence the Fiesta ST is best hot hatch. Bit of a contradiction there.

I know segments are very blurry these days but IMO the (hot) hatch category is the next size up, IE Focus territory.

What do you reckon? You have the final say, you are Henry Ford III after all. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I know segments are very blurry these days but IMO the (hot) hatch category is the next size up, IE Focus territory.
    Not really.

Remember the 205 GTI VS Golf GTI.

Two different classes of car in normal guise but two similar cars in GTI spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I know segments are very blurry these days but IMO the (hot) hatch category is the next size up, IE Focus territory

The new Fiesta is bigger in every dimension than the original Golf GTI.

The new Fiesta is bigger in every dimension than the original Golf GTI.

That's neither here nor there. The categories themselves grow along with the cars.

The new Fiesta is smaller than the current GTI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That was my point earlier about KIA and hyundai lately. Those are not cheap cars anymore, in some cases more expensive then already known good brands.
    Yes, there is an argument, that both manufacturers steped up a lot in quality, but no it means they can charge even more then known better brands.
    36k for Such kia is laughable.

BMJD wrote: »
    Kia 175g co2
    GolfZzzzzz 139g

VRT kills another one

€750 p.a. road tax won't help either. That Kia is a big polluter for a 1.6.

Disaster of a car all round!

• Advertisement
Advertisement