Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ban the word 'Austerity'

• 04-07-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone is talking about 'austerity'. I have no idea what they mean. By any measure most people are better off than they were 10 or 15 years ago. How come nobody mentioned 'austerity' back then. Is it just because people have less money than they did in the hazy crazy days of the 'Celtic Tiger', that any drop in personal wealth is called 'austerity'. The way some people are talking you'd think that the days of the Great Famine had returned and people were dying from hunger in their thousands on the side of the road.
    Maybe we should all just get a grip and realise that, while we may not be as well off as we thought we used to be, we are still doing ok by world standards.
    I'm sick of the word 'austerity'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysus. You used it enough there!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I agree.

It should be called "reducing the fiscal deficit", or "reducing Govt borrowing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I think it should be considered an offensive word...like the F word, the C word...

The A word...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Jehova.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The phrase "austerity measures"I don't get,it measures what,how does it measure...loopy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

In economics, austerity describes policies used by governments to reduce budget deficits during adverse economic conditions. These policies may include spending cuts, tax increases, or a mixture of the two. Austerity policies may be attempts to demonstrate governments' liquidity to their creditors and credit rating agencies by bringing fiscal incomes closer to expenditures.
    So it has literally nothing to do with personal wealth or income; it's about govt controlling spending. And, OP, it's possibly true that living standards aren't very different from the year 2000 or so, but things like debt, youth unemployment and future prospects are far worse

Advertisement