Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firhouse Residential Unit

Options
  • 04-07-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Is anyone aware they're living right next to a brand new methadone clinic? the house was recently bought and the clinic set up without any notice or warning so close to local primary and secondary schools, let alone countless residential estates.

Its right beside the Victory Centre on the Firhouse road. the first house to the left of it if you stand facing the gates.

thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

No, I wasnt aware. Have there been problems as a result of it?

How do you know its a methadone clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

Well a few friends in the area have reported seeing (for lack of a better word) junkies wandering the streets and shaddy looking characters loitering outside (very near a large daycare and dancing/acting classes for kids).
    And today I witnessed a very disorientated woman walking around my estate muttering god knows what to passers by, who was clearly dosed up on something. I live at least a 15 min walk from the clinic, this is whats prompted me to start this post, in my 22 years of living here Ive never so much as seen a drunk person walking around at night let alone in the day.

I dont believe many people are aware that this is going on in their area and from what I see its not for the better of our community here. people of Firhouse, Knocklyon, and the surrounding areas should know this is on their doorstep.

Ii may add, the clinic has only been open for a month or so.. I don't think the true extent will be seen for another while yet..

Theres nothing about it on South Dublin County Councils planning applications for Firhouse, going back to 2011. Unless the word Firhouse was not used in the location.

Cant say Ive noticed any more shady characters than usual. Im not sure what Daycare centre you mean (you are aware that Victory has been closed down?).

In saying that Firhouse has become very run down looking in the past few years, if you drive from the complex to super valu through the estates all the walls are tattered looking, overgrown trees, a general state of disrepair. Lot of undesirable ethnic groups around in recent years also.

Ive lived in the area for most of my 40 years and Ive seen plenty of junkies and drunks. Especially drunks. There was a guy who used to wander about near FCC drunk and lie about on the street muttering years ago. Sometimes covered in blood. We were kind of used to him.

I wouldnt go getting my knickers in a twist without actual confirmation as opposed to people seeing junkie types about - theyve always been about, especially near Super Valu.

Ive also heard this information from a Garda friend in the area.

• Advertisement

First you siad that people just saw junkies, and now you are saying someone who works there and a guard told you?

So have people seen junkies?

How did they get round the planning application I wonder?

That property doesn't appear on the property price register either or any cached pages for myhome.ie or daft.ie.

you asked me has there been any problems as a result... and i gave examples... i heard about the clinic weeks ago.. my gosh im not on here trying to make up fantasies, i have heard about the clinic from credible sources and seen an odd sight since. I'm only wondering if anyone else has heard or knows anything.

from what ive heard they sent in a private buyer to get the house then did it all below the radar, this is all just hearsay at the moment but as i said ive heard things from credible sources. i dont know my neighbour well enough to delve into the ins and outs but i know works there a few days a week.

now thats everything ive heard, seen, and know. its not lies or rumors.

Who is "they"? Do you mean the HSE?

Just seems odd that there is no planning application, no record of sale, nothing upon a google of "clinic firhouse" etc.

Not that I'm disputing it but usually there is a big furore when the HSE or whoever "they" are decide to open a clinic like that in an area which would suggest the information is normally available.

I'll take a drive over tomorrow and see what's going on.

Honestly I dont know, I dont know WHO or WHAT exactly, I dont know why its not online, I dont know why there is no records. I dont know.

Look im just saying what Ive been told, my neighbour works there!!!!!! seriously take a walk by the gates. I encourage you to walk in to the yard even and see for yourself. I have. And its without a shadow of a doubt a clinic. Its not a residential home. It the first gate to the left of the victory gates as youre looking at it. I understand you have your suspicions but im not lying here, take a look for yourself. go up to the door even and tell me what you think then.

• Advertisement

and may i add the reason im posting this is to bring it to people attention because there was no warning or planning application or any notice of this it just popped up! im sure many residents would have disagreed with it had they known this was a possibility!

Maybe I'll call right in and ask directions!

I know the property you mean alright, it's a big detached place with a grey wall.

I'm not disputing you, I'm just pondering that it seems very odd that there is zero mention of anything anywhere. I could be wrong but I thought there were rules re methadone clinics and proximity to schools etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

This is what it will be like in a few months,where is firhouse man

yes and there is big high trees around it!

genuinely i thought the same myself at first, and i thought the same about the proximity to schools and residential areas but its there, i dont understand it, people obviously dont know about it. Ive walked by it, ive seen it, it looks like a clinic of some sort!

Let me know what you make of it yourself! and do go in and ask for directions if you have the balls! :)

I just want more people to be aware of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

is it not a new McVerry Trust residential unit

"Peter McVerry Trust is committed to reducing homelessness, drug misuse and social disadvantage through its provision of housing and support services.
    The Trust provides its services, which are tailored to the needs of the individual through a framework of equal opportunities, dignity and respect."

"drug misuse"

They administer methadone there, look i cant stress this enough my neighbour administers the methadone to them.... people are treated there..

http://www.pmvtrust.ie/our-services/469-2/

read what they do.. they provide "methadone services"

thank you for giving everyone a name for this methadone clinic

SamBrugha wrote: »
    "Peter McVerry Trust is committed to reducing homelessness, drug misuse and social disadvantage through its provision of housing and support services.
    The Trust provides its services, which are tailored to the needs of the individual through a framework of equal opportunities, dignity and respect."

"drug misuse"

They administer methadone there, look i cant stress this enough my neighbour administers the methadone to them.... people are treated there..

I think there is a new residential PMV trust unit just after opening in Talkaght/Firhouse area.Im not sure if methadobe is dispensed there.

yes its in firhouse its beside the victory centre on the firhouse road and they dispense methadone! im sure of that!!!!

http://www.pmvtrust.ie/our-services/469-2/

read what they do.. they provide "methadone services"

thank you for giving everyone a name for this methadone clinic

I think that link you provided is for a PMV residential detox in Garristown in North County Dublin.

• Advertisement

i merely posted the link as an example of what this trust offers, sir im not here to argue or start rumours the fact is, that they offer methadone services and are treating god knows what, and so close to schools and houses. its ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

i merely posted the link as an example of what this trust offers, sir im not here to argue or start rumours the fact is, that they offer methadone services and are treating god knows what, and so close to schools and houses. its ridiculous.

Jumping the gun a bit to assume something bad is going to come of this- the Rutland centre is also in Knockylon- not every addict is the scum of the earth.

no worry,s ,sir. Is your neighbour a doctor or pharmacist ?
    Im asking because as you methadone is a prescribed drug/medication .
    I know Peter McVerry to talk to and work in a drug service myself.

I should have been a little more honest , but there ya go.

i know that but that is a private clinic, this is not.

mattjack wrote: »
    no worry,s ,sir. Is your neighbour a doctor or pharmacist ?
    Im asking because as you methadone is a prescribed drug/medication .
    I know Peter McVerry to talk to and work in a drug service myself.

I should have been a little more honest , but there ya go.

I assumed you knew more than you let on as there is nothing on the internet of any McVerry trusts anywhere near firhouse.
    obviously you know the reason this is all being kept quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

What exactly are you expecting to happen?!
    Considering this is pretty much just speculation for the moment.

I just want people in the area to be aware of this and whats going on under their noses.

its not speculation, as i said in previous posts, go down and knock on the door if you dont believe it.

Im wondering why its all being kept quiet and questioning the legality of their location considering the nearby schools and houses.

I assumed you knew more than you let on as there is nothing on the internet of any McVerry trusts anywhere near firhouse.
    obviously you know the reason this is all being kept quiet.

Its on the PMV sites.I don,t think methadone is administered there.
    The people living there are trying to get thier lives in order moving away from homelessness.

As far as I know PMV has in excess of fifty residences of various across thr city run in conjunction with other agencies.

The South Dublin area in particular Firhouse/Tallaght has an abundance of excellant services from needle exchanges right up to supported transitional accommodation.

You,ll be quite safe ,they are there years.

mattjack wrote: »
    Its on the PMV sites.I don,t think methadone is administered there.
    The people living there are trying to get thier lives in order moving away from homelessness.

As far as I know PMV has in excess of fifty residences of various across thr city run in conjunction with other agencies.

The South Dublin area in particular Firhouse/Tallaght has an abundance of excellant services from needle exchanges right up to supported transitional accommodation.

You,ll be quite safe ,they are there years.

i support the good work they are doing but they do for a fact dispense methadone there, my neighbour administers it, im not getting into anything about her but she has told me herself she works there a few days a week. and according to another neighbour who is a garda this is a new happening in the area, the clinic hasnt been that long in operation.

now either you work there and you know something i dont, please dont tell me what is or isnt there as i have more evidence and proof than you...
    unless of course youre trying to hide the fact...

• Advertisement

i support the good work they are doing but they do for a fact dispense methadone there, my neighbour administers it, im not getting into anything about her but she has told me herself she works there a few days a week. and according to another neighbour who is a garda this is a new happening in the area, the clinic hasnt been that long in operation.

now either you work there and you know something i dont, please dont tell me what is or isnt there as i have more evidence and proof than you...
    unless of course youre trying to hide the fact...

Is your neighbour a doctor or pharamacist ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement