Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firhouse Residential Unit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

i just cant fathom why thats important to you?

as i said it seems like you know a lot more than youre letting on... do YOU work there?
    Its funny you should know the name of the clinic yet theres no online evidence of anything even being there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

SamBrugha wrote: »

now either you work there and you know something i dont, please dont tell me what is or isnt there as i have more evidence and proof than you...
    unless of course youre trying to hide the fact...

You sound really paranoid.
    Your neighbour could of heard it off someone else, not liked the idea, and lied to you about her administering it to try convince you.

If a methadone clinic was set up it would be announced.

People love inventing stuff to try convince others of something they heard.

You mentioned suddenly seeing "junkies" around.
    Junkies are everywhere. It's like looking for a new car and test driving a Renault megan, then every second car you see is s megan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

i just cant fathom why thats important to you?

as i said it seems like you know a lot more than youre letting on... do YOU work there?
    Its funny you should know the name of the clinic yet theres no online evidence of anything even being there...

It is on the PMV site , no I dont work there.Its a 16 bed residential unit with I think 15 beds filled.

Methadone has to be prescribed by a doctor , an addict in Ireland will have set
    amount he has to take .He has to be given it daily or he may if stable be given his in a "takeaway".

Thats why Im asking about your neighbour.

mattjack wrote: »
    It is on the PMV site , no I dont work there.Its a 16 bed residential unit with I think 15 beds filled.

Methadone has to be prescribed by a doctor , an addict in Ireland will have set
    amount he has to take .He has to be given it daily or he may if stable be given his in a "takeaway".

Thats why Im asking about your neighbour.

hey i dont want to take this to a personal level and get anyone in trouble
    .i just know what ive been told and im concerned. you obviously know a great deal more than i and about the facility down to the number of beds occupied. you must work there or with the charity or perhaps you are/were being helped yourself there.

i know what i know, im just wondering why it wasnt made public.

can you please link me to the page you are talking about that refers to one in firhouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lots of addicts in the area. Would be nice to see that poxy holyjesusgod centre being put to good use.

• Advertisement

You sound really paranoid.
    Your neighbour could of heard it off someone else, not liked the idea, and lied to you about her administering it to try convince you.

If a methadone clinic was set up it would be announced.

People love inventing stuff to try convince others of something they heard.

You mentioned suddenly seeing "junkies" around.
    Junkies are everywhere. It's like looking for a new car and test driving a Renault megan, then every second car you see is s megan.

thanks for your input.

hey i dont want to take this to a personal level and get anyone in trouble
    .i just know what ive been told and im concerned. you obviously know a great deal more than i and about the facility down to the number of beds occupied. you must work there or with the charity or perhaps you are/were being helped yourself there.

i know what i know, im just wondering why it wasnt made public.

can you please link me to the page you are talking about that refers to one in firhouse?

Sure can , go on to the PMV homepage, make your way to the section called "our services"...read and tell us about it.

I dont work for PMV ,I work for a drug service.

You contradicted yourself by saying you dont want this to get personal and you asked me was I helped there effectively asking me am I in recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

thanks for your input.

Your welcome.
    I'm off tomorrow, I'll take a spin up and report back before midday.
    I'd be highly surprised if it's anything dodge going on below radar.

Your welcome.
    I'm off tomorrow, I'll take a spin up and report back before midday.
    I'd be highly surprised if it's anything dodge going on below radar.

Let us know how you get on. I might ring around tomorrow myself and see if anything stands out as being suspect.

Sure can , go on to the PMV homepage, make your way to the section called "our services"...read and tell us about it.

I dont work for PMV ,I work for a drug service.

You contradicted yourself by saying you dont want this to get personal and you asked me was I helped there effectively asking me am I in recovery.

i wasnt expecting an answer, was a mere bit of rhetoric, i wouldn't genuinely ask such a personal thing of a stranger online...

i see the service youve directed me to but i see no evidence of the location in firhouse, a vague mention to tallaght but it still hasn't disproved the methadone services... im not debating this with you i know what i know...

my mind boggles why there isnt any official attributes to this location, especially if it was merely a place to help people get back on their feet.

• Advertisement

my mind boggles why there isnt any official attributes to this location, especially if it was merely a place to help people get back on their feet.
    Maybe because

(a) private health service providers aren't required to notify local communities as to the nature of services provided, and to whom.

And

(b) people tend to overreact when they hear about services for drug users in their neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

why is it any of your concern? Perhaps its to give addicts some privacy without nosy people accosting them or maybe because simply it doesn't need to be public knowledge. Once the people that need the service use it is the main thing

endacl wrote: »
    Maybe because

(a) private health service providers aren't required to notify local communities as to the nature of services provided, and to whom.

And

(b) people tend to overreact when they hear about services for drug users in their neighbourhood.

according to another member on her its a charity so in such a case it wouldnt be private and if there is methadone dispensed there im sure there some legality issue what with it being so close to schools and houses, plus people deserve to know what is going on literally in their back yard...

why is it any of your concern? Perhaps its to give addicts some privacy without nosy people accosting them or maybe because simply it doesn't need to be public knowledge. Once the people that need the service use it is the main thing

if it was private thats one thing but if its government funded it legally should be made public if that sort of thing is happening so close to schools and many residential estates. people in the area have a right to know whats happening in their community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

if it was private thats one thing but if its government funded it legally should be made public if that sort of thing is happening so close to schools and many residential estates. people in the area have a right to know whats happening in their community.

Why? Proximity to schools and residential estates can hardly be a preventative factor in locating a clinic. Its a high density area

according to another member on her its a charity so in such a case it wouldnt be private and if there is methadone dispensed there im sure there some legality issue what with it being so close to schools and houses, plus people deserve to know what is going on literally in their back yard...

HSE provides methadone services ,you can google them or ring Amien street and Trinity court . Theres no secrets about the services nor any legal issue regarding schools,houses etc.Being stabilised on methadone is not a crime.All the info. regarding HSE methadone services is easily accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Is anyone aware they're living right next to a brand new methadone clinic? the house was recently bought and the clinic set up without any notice or warning so close to local primary and secondary schools, let alone countless residential estates.

Its right beside the Victory Centre on the Firhouse road. the first house to the left of it if you stand facing the gates.

thoughts?

I think all Clinics should be in the Suburbs or Industrial estates the later would be better for all.

Why? Proximity to schools and residential estates can hardly be a preventative factor in locating a clinic. Its a high density area

yes its great to see addicts loitering about as small children walk home from school an residents go about their daily lives absolutely and ideal location to send scum to get their fix amongst 3 schools and many houses....

and yes i know people from all walks of life use methadone as a come down drug but come on and be real the only thing a free methadone clinic is attracting is bad news and crap to the area

HSE provides methadone services ,you can google them or ring Amien street and Trinity court . Theres no secrets about the services nor any legal issue regarding schools,houses etc.Being stabilised on methadone is not a crime.All the info. regarding HSE methadone services is easily accessible

how is it you name this clinic when there is absolutely zero information about the address online? and why is it youre defending it so?

people in the area have the right to know a methadone clinic has set up camp in their neighborhood, legal or not.

yes its great to see addicts loitering about as small children walk home from school and residents go about their daily lives absolutely and ideal location to send scum to get their fix amongst 3 schools and many houses....

and yes i know people from all walks of life use methadone as a come down drug but come on and be real the only thing a free methadone clinic is attracting is bad news and crap to the area

earlier you suggested I had been helped by PMV and now you use the term scum....... oh Lord ,whatever next ?

• Advertisement

earlier you suggested I had been helped by PMV and now you use the term scum....... oh Lord ,whatever next ?

interesting how much you dodge questions, seems a little.. dodgy yeah?

how is it you name this clinic when there is absolutely zero information about the address online? and why is it youre defending it so?

people in the area have the right to know a methadone clinic has set up camp in their neighborhood, legal or not.

Because I work in a dtug service.Lots of services of this nature have use an intrgrated approach.We share knowledge and information, do agency visits , placements , work together etc.
    For example PMV works alongside an agency called Housing First which works with ourselves .

interesting how much you dodge questions, seems a little.. dodgy yeah?

what dodgy questions are trying ask ?

Because I work in a dtug service.Lots of services of this nature have use an intrgrated approach.We share knowledge and information, do agency visits , placements , work together etc.
    For example PMV works alongside an agency called Housing First which works with ourselves .

look i didnt set out here to start fights or argue or anything i just wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on what ive heard, i would like to know what services are being offered in my neighbourhood. I cant find any information about the address online whatsoever. i find it a little odd is all.

i dont want this to get out of hand but i want to know whats there, surely there would be evidence on the HSE website as you said, about a methadone clinic yet theres nothing anywhere about even so much as a charity being there.

i find it odd and wanted to cast light on my own information. whether it is a methadone clinic or not i cant do anything about it, but i want to know, as is my right as a resident of the area and as a citizen of ireland.

look i didnt set out here to start fights or argue or anything i just wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on what ive heard, i would like to know what services are being offered in my neighbourhood. I cant find any information about the address online whatsoever. i find it a little odd is all.

i dont want this to get out of hand but i want to know whats there, surely there would be evidence on the HSE website as you said, about a methadone clinic yet theres nothing anywhere about even so much as a charity being there.

i find it odd and wanted to cast light on my own information. whether it is a methadone clinic or not i cant do anything about it, but i want to know, as is my right as a resident of the area and as a citizen of ireland.

I dont think its a clinic , its a residential unit possibly with people stabilised on methadine.As far as I know they are brought to their clinic whenever they are due their script or possibly though I doubt it a medical professional administers onsite.

Id imagine if you emailed PMV trust they would help you and the HSE likewise.

What about your two neighbours ,could they not tell you exactly what the place is.

I dont think its a clinic , its a residential unit possibly with people stabilised on methadine.As far as I know they are brought to their clinic whenever they are due their script or possibly though I doubt it a medical professional administers onsite.

Id imagine if you emailed PMV trust they would help you and the HSE likewise.

What about your two neighbours ,could they not tell you exactly what the place is.

thanks thats a good answer, i appreciate it. maybe you're right.

my neighbour was fairly certain of methadone being administered there, but i havent heard anything more on that just yet, and the neighbor who works there wouldn't be someone i see around or really get a chance to talk to all that much so i haven't asked anything more, but i know what line of work they do.

perhaps its as you say and its just whoever lives there is stabilized with it? maybe its not the "takeaway" kind of clinic you may find around the city centre.

But everywhere methodone is dispensed is near somebody's home or school. Where would you suggest?

This reminds me of the hubbub around the proposed new halting sites some years ago. There was uproar in some quarters. I grew up not too far from you, by the sound of it. I can think of four different halting sites within walking distance of the house, and people have kinda forgotten they're there.

Is this just nimbyism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

endacl wrote: »
    But everywhere methodone is dispensed is near somebody's home or school. Where would you suggest?

This reminds me of the hubbub around the proposed new halting sites some years ago. There was uproar in some quarters. I grew up not too far from you, by the sound of it. I can think of four different halting sites within walking distance of the house, and people have kinda forgotten they're there.

Is this just nimbyism?

Have to disagree on that. I live very close to the one on Daletree and there are constant problems. Ring up Rathfarnham Garda Station and they will tell you that its the most troublesome site under their remit (of which they have 6 such sites). We are plagued by petty theft, cars doing donuts on the street outside it, tresspassing on peoples property, intimidation, problems with dog attacks (the community guard was bitten a couple of years back), damage to cars, a gun recently found on the grass outside and the litter outside the place is a disgrace. Residents have repeatedly tried to engage through the council regarding the problems and are told by the spokesperson "youse just dont like travellers". We have weekly problems. Just last night the police helicopter once again woke me hovering overhead with a spotlight trained down on the site.

Sorry, I do not mean to drag the thread off topic but it is easy to be unaware of the extent of issues unless you live right next to something.

Back on topic, this thread has certainly grown legs since I was last here. So is it a methadone clinic or not? I thought this was something the OP was certain of but now it is disputed?

If it is simply a residential unit then why is the OP seeing junkies all about? Another thing I thought of, why would there be junkies all about anyway as people on methadone are not strung out in the way that people on heroin are?

Have to disagree on that. I live very close to the one on Daletree and there are constant problems. Ring up Rathfarnham Garda Station and they will tell you that its the most troublesome site under their remit (of which they have 6 such sites). We are plagued by petty theft, cars doing donuts on the street outside it, tresspassing on peoples property, intimidation, problems with dog attacks (the community guard was bitten a couple of years back), damage to cars, a gun recently found on the grass outside and the litter outside the place is a disgrace. Residents have repeatedly tried to engage through the council regarding the problems and are told by the spokesperson "youse just dont like travellers". We have weekly problems. Just last night the police helicopter once again woke me hovering overhead with a spotlight trained down on the site.

Sorry, I do not mean to drag the thread off topic but it is easy to be unaware of the extent of issues unless you live right next to something.

Back on topic, this thread has certainly grown legs since I was last here. So is it a methadone clinic or not? I thought this was something the OP was certain of but now it is disputed?

If it is simply a residential unit then why is the OP seeing junkies all about? Another thing I thought of, why would there be junkies all about anyway as people on methadone are not strung out in the way that people on heroin are?

I am certain they administer methadone to people there. i know that for a fact, but what i dont know is the ins and outs. i dont know if its like the ones you see in town where people can come a certain hours, get their fix and leave all within a short amount of time... or as someone else suggests they give methodone to people staying there... both possibilities involve methadone, the latter is of course a better situation but id like to know,because if it is the former there is a high possibility of dragging a lot of crime into the area.

A high amount of those who use the inner city methodone clinic are just using it to settle their seleves till they can get their heroin or drug they actually want, and according to the garda i was talking to, he seems to think this will encourage drug dealers into the area (not that there isnt any already but we could do without more), and increase crime within the locality.

im not going back on what i said, methadone is given there.. i just dont know to what extent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Ok - I went over to have a look and I also checked with my local sources.

Its not a methadone clinic.
    Its a Peter McVerry Trust.

Its basically a last step residential rehabilitation centre for homeless people. It is not directly involved in prescribing or administering methadone although some of the residents may or may not be on a methadone maintenance program.

One of my sources deals directly with some of the residents and he said that they are not junkie types at all - just normal people who are trying to get back on track.

I hung around outside it for a bit, I didnt see anyone shady or dodgy - actually I didnt see anyone at all.

Edited to add:
    They actually announced it and put photos of the opening on their Facebook page. The eagle eyed among you will recognise the entrance of the facility in the third and fourth photos.

Some more info here.

May I suggest the thread title is changed, its a bit scaremongery - its not a methadone clinic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement