Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firhouse Residential Unit

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

Ok - I went over to have a look and I also checked with my local sources.

Its not a methadone clinic.
    Its a Peter McVerry Trust.

Its basically a last step residential rehabilitation centre for homeless people. It is not directly involved in prescribing or administering methadone although some of the residents may or may not be on a methadone maintenance program.

One of my sources deals directly with some of the residents and he said that they are not junkie types at all - just normal people who are trying to get back on track.

I hung around outside it for a bit, I didnt see anyone shady or dodgy - actually I didnt see anyone at all.

Edited to add:
    They actually announced it and put photos of the opening on their Facebook page. The eagle eyed among you will recognise the entrance of the facility in the third and fourth photos.

Some more info here.

May I suggest the thread title is changed, its a bit scaremongery - its not a methadone clinic.

they administer methadone on their premises to people. i don't think methadone clinic is that much of a far stretched name for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

SamBrugha wrote: »
    they administer methadone on their premises to people. i don't think methadone clinic is that much of a far stretched name for it.

I suggest you reread my post and links.

Its a temporary residential support unit for homeless people, some of whom may or may not be on a methadone maintenance program.

It is not a methadone clinic and its irresponsible of you to be spreading that rumour. These people need support not witch hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Why is this an issue? Is there no Junkies in Firhouse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Cant say Ive noticed any more shady characters than usual. Im not sure what Daycare centre you mean (you are aware that Victory has been closed down?).

Why has the Victory Centre been closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭maximoose

look i cant stress this enough my neighbour administers the methadone to them.... people are treated there..

my neighbour was fairly certain of methadone being administered there,

So was that first claim just a lie then?

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Why has the Victory Centre been closed?

Theres a big thread on it.

Long story short: lost it charity status due to nefarious financial dealings by the pastors, stopped paying the mortgage, whole thing was a scam to fund the pastors lifestyles, receivers took it back a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Where's the thread?

Synode wrote: »
    Where's the thread?

Here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61767823

It was started 4 years ago but the recent events are all detailed with links to reports etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

I am certain they administer methadone to people there. i know that for a fact,
    my neighbour was fairly certain of methadone being administered there

You seem a bit all over the place regarding your sources. First it was a neighbour who was personally administers the methadone, then it was a neighbour who was a Garda in the area and now suddenly the neighbour who administers the methadone is only "fairly certain" that she did so.
    I think others posters have pretty well established that it is a housing shelter and not a dispensing clinic. Some of the occupants may be on methadone for recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

Alias G wrote: »
    You seem a bit all over the place regarding your sources. First it was a neighbour who was personally administers the methadone, then it was a neighbour who was a Garda in the area and now suddenly the neighbour who administers the methadone is only "fairly certain" that she did so.
    I think others posters have pretty well established that it is a housing shelter and not a dispensing clinic. Some of the occupants may be on methadone for recovery.

no the garda neighbour was fairly certain about it being a CLINIC. not a garda for the area just a garda who lives in the area.
    the OTHER neighbour works there and administers it 100% without a doubt heard it from their mouth, BUT i didnt hear from them whether it was a clinic or to what extent the methadone was being given out.

hope that clears things up. based on what ive heard ive every right to post what i have, i purely started this thread to see if anyone else knew or heard anything i had not. no need to twist my words just because YOU are reading it wrong, and no need to restate what others have said im prefectly capable of reading that myself.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi folks,
    The Peter McVerry Trust have been reading this thread and wished to clear up some of the speculation and misinformation posted. From them:
    This unit is not a methadone clinic or a drug treatment facility. The unit in question is a residential unit providing supported temporary accommodation to homeless males. For further information on the service please see our website.
    In order to prevent further needless speculation or indeed intrusion on the people using this facility, I am closing the thread. OP I think you have your answers here.

If anyone has any issues with this, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement