Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I won't be getting an Xbox One

• 04-07-2013 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I have always stayed with Xbox since the launch of the first one and I like there first party game like Halo and Forza.

This time I am getting a PS4 due to the fact is does not require a spying device to be connected to the console at all times.

I know Xbox One can be used offline but I always have my 360 connected.

Sitting down to watch Netfilx or a Blu Ray do I trust that this device will not be spying on me?

944902_342020185926210_821386759_n.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Great point. Wonder why nobody else has ever mentioned that actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

You're dead right. They've been gathering information for years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

what would you be doing that you don't want Microsoft to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

deadybai wrote: »
    what would you be doing that you don't want Microsoft to see?

Playing with myself is the first thing the comes to mind.:rolleyes:;)

But let us not forget this thing also listens to you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Playing with myself is the first thing the comes to mind.:rolleyes:;)

But let us not forget this thing also listens to you too.

Better suited to "conspiracy theories" forums.

You think Microsoft are going to hire people to watch millions of slobs around the world sit in front of their TV gaming, talking, doing whatever.... ?

No doubt they sectioned off part of the Data Centre here to store all those future videos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

They could use it as a sort of marketing back door, listening on you and your mates discussing what you like and don't like in games.

No but this thing have face and vocal reading software.

And as regards Conspiracy theories they are not my thing I go for facts and what I can be 100% sure of.

Ever hear of Edward Snowden?

Holy crap man, you're just, like, piecing this whole thing together in front of our very eyes.

No Xbox One for me!

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Better suited to "conspiracy theories" forums.

You think Microsoft are going to hire people to watch millions of slobs around the world sit in front of their TV gaming, talking, doing whatever.... ?

No doubt they sectioned off part of the Data Centre here to store all those future videos.

No but this thing have face and vocal reading software.

And as regards Conspiracy theories they are not my thing I go for facts and what I can be 100% sure of.

Ever hear of Edward Snowden?

Edit who thinks it's a good idea to have a HD camera with a super sensitive mic backed up with voice reading and face reading software in your home always connected?

Mircrosoft may not use the feeds but do you think they will not let others for a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Cool now I should make a thread on everything i'm not buying

Nolars wrote: »
    Cool now I should make a thread on everything i'm not buying

Yes but I wanted an Xbox One I would have even taken the Kenect thing I just did not want to connect it.

The Xbox One will not work without this device connected?

A software update could solve this why are Microsoft pushing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

I'm sorry but if people actually think Microsoft are gonna to be spying on you and you have windows installed and any other software/app from Microsoft on your computer you are an idiot.

Nolars wrote: »
    I'm sorry but if people actually think Microsoft are gonna to be spying on you and you have windows installed and any other software/app from Microsoft on your computer you are an idiot.

I do not use Windows.

who thinks it's a good idea to have a HD camera with a super sensitive mic backed up with voice reading and face reading software in your home always connected?

Just like a tablet or smartphone you mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

no headset = no sale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/06/microsoft-addresses-xbox-one-kinect-privacy-concerns/
    Emphasizing that "You are in control of what Kinect can see and hear," Microsoft notes that individual user and family privacy settings can be accessed during Xbox One setup or at any time afterward. In addition, the company assures that conversation and other background noise will not be recorded or monitored by Kinect in any way.

Microsoft also notes that the Kinect can be disabled at any time during console operation, though some games may require the peripheral to be active for certain gameplay features.
    Though, given the thread, may I suggest instead of necessarily getting a One you might look in to getting a blog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,460 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

After PRISM anything is possible

I wont be buying for numerous reasons

camera crap, iv no interest in waving my hands around like I dont care
    DRM. Now I know this is gone but to even have it in the first place disgusted me.
    Looks to be more of an entertainment center than a proper gaming console
    xbox live gold thing has crap games to give away compared to psn+
    100 euro to expensive

I have read the Microsoft line the thing can be disabled sounds reasonable?

Why can we not just disconnect it instead?

If it is turned off why does it still need to be connected?:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

I do not use Windows.
    if you were a proper gamer you would :)

pc gaming ftw!!!

Why can we not just disconnect it instead?
    If it took up a USB I'd be right there with you. It doesn't though, so it isn't an issue. Now, lack of exclusive games that have won me over, that is my concern as it stands. All the next gen games I want so far are multiplat.

returnNull wrote: »
    if you were a proper gamer you would :)

pc gaming ftw!!!

I am a casual gamer.

The Halo games were fun and the likes of Forza was much more fun then the stuffy driving simulations on the PlayStation.

I use a Mac by the way and I find a strip of black tape over the camera when I am on the computer very useful.

I gather that this will not be allowed on Xbox One if it does not have a good view it will not work.

• Advertisement

I gather that this will not be allowed on Xbox One if it does not have a good view it will not work.
    I've got a bad memory, but this is a bit ridiculous.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I've got a bad memory, but this is a bit ridiculous.

I know Microsoft say they like to listen to gamers but come on.

s985blg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Already ahead of you, I have spent months developing the technology for it and soon it will be ready for mass production. It is a tin foil helmet that blocks are spying and though stealing. Im working on making a full suit so I can become tin foil man, like iron man on the dole and a strong breeze instead of the mandarin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Microsoft have made the Kinect mandatory so as developers can incorporate Kinect features into their games and not run the risk of it being entirely in vain.

The Kinect must be connected at all times.

Have MS said that it needs to be USED at all times? Not as far as I know

Can't we all just connect it up, turn it around and tape over the mic if it's that much of an espionage risk?

The Xbox One will feature, by default, an always-on, works-in-the-dark, microphone and camera that’s constantly connected to the internet and 300,000 servers. What could possibly go wrong?

And then there’s the privacy aspect. With the Xbox One, Kinect is constantly on, so that you can navigate around the console with voice and gesture commands. This means that that you’re constantly being watched by an IR camera that can see in the dark, and a microphone that’s constantly listening for your audio cues. Even more terrifyingly, you can turn on the Xbox One with a voice command — yes, even when the Xbox One is off, Kinect is still listening. What if a developer goes rogue and develops malware that snoops on you? What if someone develops Xbox One malware that records what goes on in your child’s bedroom, even when the console appears to be turned off?

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156515-kinect-for-xbox-one-an-always-on-works-in-the-dark-camera-and-microphone-what-could-possibly-go-wrong

Lastly on this subject for all those banding about the tin foil hat stuff this video comes to mind.

Take a look at the date on that one, then take a look at the date on the article I posted. If we go with your logic, then the One is still going to require an internet connection and take an aggressive approach to DRM. They backtracked on that stuff. You'll need something more recent than that, and more recent than the article I posted.

Edit: Wow, we got trolled bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Not too sure about the xbox 1 kinect
    but Ill be pulling the balls of meself just looking at the ps4 in the box
    I'll probably jizz on the floor when I take it out of the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm curious, if people have such strong objections to devices which are always listening, does that mean they'd never buy something which can be voice activated?

Advertisement