Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I won't be getting an Xbox One

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

justryan wrote: »
    They could use it as a sort of marketing back door, listening on you and your mates discussing what you like and don't like in games.

Ill happily and loudly tell any publisher or developer what I like in games. Who wouldn't? Why would you try and keep that secret?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

I use a Mac by the way
    a so you're completely clueless about computing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I use a Mac by the way and I find a strip of black tape over the camera when I am on the computer very useful.

you do know apple are involved with Prism aswell and your mac also has a mic?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

ducttape.jpeg

On mic and lense.

Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

inforfun wrote: »
    ducttape.jpeg

On mic and lense.

Problem solved.

With the way they're pushing Kinect though you just know that some game's will have their core functionality dependent on a fully working Kinect. It won't be like the current gen variant

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Really couldn't care less if Microsoft keep a record of how often I scratch my balls while I'm gaming or watching something. If they find me that interesting that they'll listen to me or watch me while I sleep then frankly, I'm flattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,063 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I just can't think MS would be arsed to spy on us in the way people are saying. Also, if they are spying on us in the way people are saying (and they are denying) hackers will spot it VERY quickly and MS will be in for a world of legal pains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Really couldn't care less if Microsoft keep a record of how often I scratch my balls while I'm gaming or watching something. If they find me that interesting that they'll listen to me or watch me while I sleep then frankly, I'm flattered.

ye will when you have a girl around watching telly and all the ads are for pubic shampoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Says it all:

http://sticktwiddlers.com/2013/06/28/xbox-one-dashboard-created-with-advertising-in-mind/
    “With the new Xbox One, the technology and Kinect has improved a lot,” commented the Technical Account Manager for Xbox LIVE Advertising, “so that actually the voice recognition, the way you speak to your Xbox and the transition between gaming and watching TV is a lot smoother, and hopefully we can transpire that into advertising that we do.”

For example, Kinect could detect how many users are in the room and could serve advertisements aimed at families, groups, or individuals. Additional information from your Xbox LIVE account could also influence these by using metrics such as your gender, age, location, media habits and more, and Microsoft are very aware of the potential around this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

So we're already at a Minority Report level. Well, almost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you are worried about the Kinect spying on you then you should also get your smart phone and throw that away, also close your Facebook page and stop using Google pretty much stay off the internet.

Stay in your house keep the power off and don't open the door for anyone. It's the only way to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

If you are worried about the Kinect spying on you then you should also get your smart phone and throw that away, also close your Facebook page and stop using Google pretty much stay off the internet.

Stay in your house keep the power off and don't open the door for anyone. It's the only way to be sure.

My smartphone doesn't show me ads on the homepage. I dont worry about this from a big brother perspective, I just dont like being bombarded with ads especially not when I'm paying top dollar for the games. Im not making it easier to advertise to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

inforfun wrote: »
    ducttape.jpeg

On mic and lense.

Problem solved.

then Xbox one will shut down your game and show you this:

error.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

OH NO !!!....I just realised...my PC...which is also online all the time, has a webcam and a microphone...so do most laptops....AND...get this....my OS is Windows....and guess who makes Windows ?!!?!?!?....MICROSOFT....scary !!!

Holy $hit you guys...turn off your PC's too...because chances are we are being looked at and listened to right now
    *waves to Steve Balmer*

SeantheMan wrote: »
    OH NO !!!....I just realised...my PC...which is also online all the time, has a webcam and a microphone...so do most laptops....AND...get this....my OS is Windows....and guess who makes Windows ?!!?!?!?....MICROSOFT....scary !!!

Holy $hit you guys...turn off your PC's too...because chances are we are being looked at and listened to right now
    *waves to Steve Balmer*

My Pc wount try to pop up an ad for condoms just because I like to make sweet love to misses shadowhearth on my PC desk... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

then Xbox one will shut down your game and show you this:
    They've already said Kinect can be turned off. I don't get why people still think this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

My Pc wount try to pop up an ad for condoms just because I like to make sweet love to misses shadowhearth on my PC desk... :rolleyes:

Yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

But it will tell you that there are loads of available singles in your area !

I logged into Amazon the other day and saw an ad for World in conflict the complete collection for €2.49 and it is brilliant. I have no problem with a company showing me adverts for things I will really enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭briany

The problem with the always-on, always connected Kinect was always going to be representative of a new high tidal mark in after sale control by the console maker. Whether that's right or wrong, that's seems to be what happened, and people didn't like it - the shift was just a little bit too much, too sudden. With the PRISM scandal, people have been feeling uneasy about privacy issues but not so much that they're willing to actually get up and do anything about it. It's a delicious opportunity to do nothing - literally not going out and buying the thing - and still feel like you're making a difference. It's why I believe the Internet has latched onto the anti Xbox One fervor so enthusiastically, for the most part.

Now, some of the paranoia is silly, but in a world where storage capacities and Internet speeds are going up, the idea that an amount of your data could be held indefinitely by interested parties with that right granted through an ambiguously worded EULA is not a totally outside the realm of comprehension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

No, it's not out of the realm of possibility. But I can't see Microsoft holding onto all that video/audio data indefinitely....that's assuming that they ever 'did' capture it...which I doubt they would to begin with.

They've a DataCentre here in GrangeCastle, and you want to see the stress and fuss they go into when Gears of War, Bing or Skype was launching ....trying to get enough servers to cover the demand, I can only imagine if they had to deal with hosting all that incoming traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Pushtrak wrote: »
    They've already said Kinect can be turned off. I don't get why people still think this.

But it can't be disconnected...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I thought that MS were releasing an Xbox One bundle WITHOUT Kinect, but it would still cost full price (400 euro) to spite fans. Or was that just a rumour?

But it can't be disconnected...
    There's a big difference between "it can not be disconnected" and "your system isn't going to work if you don't have it turned on." The latter being untrue, obviously.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I thought that MS were releasing an Xbox One bundle WITHOUT Kinect, but it would still cost full price (400 euro) to spite fans. Or was that just a rumour?

It's not only a rumour, but it's one of the worst rumours I've ever heard. How did you buy into that? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

COYVB wrote: »
    It's not only a rumour, but it's one of the worst rumours I've ever heard. How did you buy into that? lol

Think that's crossed wires there though. There is still persistent rumour of another bundle, not one without the kinect but one that requires signing up to a two year DD for xbox live. The rumour is that it would cost three hundred as opposed to five but that you would be paying something along the lines of ten quid a month for live so by the end you'll have actually spent forty more than the normal bundle would have cost.

I actually really think they should do this as though it may cost more, people have shown with the likes of Netflix that they are willing to pay in the neighbourhood of ten a month for entertainment services and spending five hundred and forty quid over two years would definitely have more of an appeal to some people than spending five hundred in two minutes

niallon wrote: »
    I actually really think they should do this as though it may cost more, people have shown with the likes of Netflix that they are willing to pay in the neighbourhood of ten a month for entertainment services and spending five hundred and forty quid over two years would definitely have more of an appeal to some people than spending five hundred in two minutes
    I don't see it happening. Two reasons. Firstly, I don't see people being all that willing to sign up for a 2 year contract. I could be wrong there, but the expectation of a contract on the purchase of a console does not exist, so it would put off a lot of people.

The other reason being inflation. The value of money goes down over time so it doesn't seem to be a good business move to follow the strategy. Any one else with thoughts on this aspect? Perhaps someone with a better sense of the economics here and who hasn't just woken up? :pac:

niallon wrote: »
    Think that's crossed wires there though. There is still persistent rumour of another bundle, not one without the kinect but one that requires signing up to a two year DD for xbox live. The rumour is that it would cost three hundred as opposed to five but that you would be paying something along the lines of ten quid a month for live so by the end you'll have actually spent forty more than the normal bundle would have cost.

That's a north american thing. They already do it with the 360 here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

For me it's also because it's Microsoft, one of the more anti-consumer companies around. Making a corporation like Sony (with such past atrocities as the DRM rootkit fiasco) look like the good guy is not easy. Even the Financial Times described Microsoft as not having the consumer gene. Their decision makers are so out of touch with end-users that it is astonishing. I have to go with Sony by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

After an overly aggressive love making session you'll be glad when the xbox one shows you where to buy a cheap puncture repair kit :p

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    After an overly aggressive love making session you'll be glad when the xbox one shows you where to buy a cheap puncture repair kit :p

I dont like rubber, I use Pamela Handerson, when Misses is not around! :p

Advertisement